Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinstallation of Windows Vista

• 30-10-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have a sony vaio laptop which recently broke and i had to reinstall windows (vista home premium).
    The only problem is that i had to use a different disk as i couldnt find the windows disc i got with the laptop. And now it is asking me to change the product key but it does not let me change it to the one matching the laptop ( obviously cause it does not match the disc).
    Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks Alot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

karl13 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a sony vaio laptop which recently broke and i had to reinstall windows (vista home premium).
    The only problem is that i had to use a different disk as i couldnt find the windows disc i got with the laptop. And now it is asking me to change the product key but it does not let me change it to the one matching the laptop ( obviously cause it does not match the disc).
    Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks Alot.

I would buy windows 7 premium should work ok because Vista was on it already
    let the old vista key die

• Registered Users Posts: 17 karl13

Yeah i could do that but i dont have the money for 7 at the moment so want to keep vista for the time being if possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

activate it over the phone, you might have to explain to somebody in support about using a different disk, but they might still activate it for you

Using a different disc should still let you activate, once it's the same edition. You didn't use a Vista Business disc to install Home Premium for example? Some OEM stickers will give an error saying that your product key is invalid for online activation but will work fine over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 karl13

No i used the same edition. Cool I will try do it over the phone hopefully that will work. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check with sony in case there was never any disk (they didn't for XP) , many of them were created from a hidden partition

try and find a matching disk , preferably a SONY but it MUST match the version of Vista and it MUST be an OEM CD for you to be able to use the serial you have, check what the label says for the version

@Rambo, putting windows 7 upgrade on that laptop would mean that you could never use that copy of windows 7 on another pc, and you are not entitled to put windows 7 oem on a machine that already had a copy of windows

Advertisement