Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self install of Sky HD possible?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I wired my own house and installed a Sky dish on my garage with an octo LNB and have the cables ducted into the house. I have one Sky box in living room with sub. Freesat in kitchen and couple of LIDL boxes. All work fine with some spare cables left in attic. My question is can i get a new HD box and upgrade my sub from sky and install it my self in the sitting room with the old box put in the bedroom for free channels. I would like to install myself to save any price of install.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Yes but Sky won't supply you the equipment, so for what you save on installation it will cost you in equipment youself. Classic catch 22...

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Thanks for the reply.

Its a pity I'm already a subscriber here, I moved my box to the new house myself and all works fine. Bought the sky dish and LNB new off ebay. I'll have to see what offers are available to existing subscribers and pay the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

I got a flyer in yesterday saying that hd box was free for new and existing customers.

I didn't read the fine print so I don't know if there were any conditions attached,

it went straight into the recycle bin.

you could get a box on ebay or adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

John mac wrote: »
    I got a flyer in yesterday saying that hd box was free for new and existing customers.

Free?

AFAIK the current offer is a HD upgrade for €24.50 - that's what was advertised on TV earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

medoc wrote: »
    Its a pity I'm already a subscriber here, I moved my box to the new house myself and all works fine. Bought the sky dish and LNB new off ebay. I'll have to see what offers are available to existing subscribers and pay the installation.

You have a few options here, if your still registered at your old address or you have a partner with a bank account you can cancel your subs and then resubscribe under a new contract, done that recently myself.

Otherwise you can ring up and see the best offer they will give you, if you don't think it's fair or on par with a new subscriber offer, then explain politely that you have looked into all your options and cable in your area will work out cheaper and say you want to cancel, hold your nerve til you get put through to cancellation dept, you WILL get a better deal, look at this thread were I gave the same advice only yesterday: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055716697

• Advertisement
Advertisement