Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Grooming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you any qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

No but most of the new groomers around have just done a course for a few weeks here or in America, I have looked at courses here as the expense of going to USA doesn't workout for me. Alot of the grooming parlours are offering courses, only thing i need to check is where they learnt to teach or is it just from experience.

To be honest -some the best groomers usually have a good few qualifications - as you study the dogs / the different breeds and how to groom each breed. You can get certs (etc) for each breed. I know my groomers wall is filled with different qualifications for different breeds and them having graduated from their courses etc. And taking part in competitions. Because it's not just about grooming, you need to understand dogs too.

I love dogs, all pets actually. I have worked in a vets before as an assistant.

My groomer is very nice and very good and people really like her, my vet gave me her number, i dont see lots of certs on her walls but she seems to know all the different dogs, i think she's doing it about 15 years and when i collect my dog i just think that s what i should have done when i stopped working in the vets a few years ago. But im out off work and need something that i would enjoy and could make a living, thats why i have made this survey to give me an idea of what people want, want offered and are willing to pay. I was thinking of starting at grooming and then training in other parts and offer more services, training ect but that would be a long time away.

Well if she has experience then that might be semi equivelent to people with qualifications, but just to be aware I'm not sure it's that simple to do a course for a few weeks and then run a business out of it.

Also the money to go into it would be a lot - for an area/equipment/staff and don't forget insurance -- that's definitely needed

• Advertisement

Thanks Star pants

Its just an idea at the moment, i do need to look into it more. There are people that have just set up businesses in the last year after doing a 3 week course and some of the mobile ones is just people who have been sent to usa for 3 weeks so i was just thinking if they could do it so could i but as i say its just an idea at the minute.

No that's fair enough - I'm just putting out there some stuff that people sometimes forget. If it's something you'd really like to do then go for it, but make sure you look into everything

I will, I'm not rushing into anything, I especially cant afford to, i need to be sure its what i want and worthwhile money wise also before i go borrowing money for a course and all the associated things such as gear, insurance, premises etc.

Thanks for the advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Just on this point, I think Dog Grooming is ridiculously priced. I have two golden retrievers who would cost me anything from €120 - €200 to get groomed.

I cant understand how it is so expensive, I am not preparing them for a competition, I just want them to be clean and brushed!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

engrish? wrote: »
    Just on this point, I think Dog Grooming is ridiculously priced. I have two golden retrievers who would cost me anything from €120 - €200 to get groomed.

I cant understand how it is so expensive, I am not preparing them for a competition, I just want them to be clean and brushed!!!!

how many times a year do you go - might be worth doing the course yourself and groom you own?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crossman

Grooming is an important part of your dog's health, with regular brushing and combing helping to remove dead hair and dirt and prevent matting. Dogs who are regularly groomed tend to have a healthier and shinier coat because it stimulates the blood supply to the skin.
    I found good and helpful article if you are interested you can read it here Dog Grooming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

My sister did a course for a year in animal care and is now in an apprenticeship in a dog groomers in town. It takes more than just doing a course for a couple of weeks before you can groom peoples dogs. It's not just a soapy wash and a brush down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

I would never ever pay the cost of a groomer, I think it's unreal how expensive it is.

My mam bought a pair of clippers a few years back and I borrow them every few months to cut my cocker spaniels hair. Takes me about an hour and a half and a bit of fighting, but he looks lovely at then end and it hasn't cost me a penny.

I think in the current climate people are bound to see grooming as an unecessary expense and there is going to be less work out there for groomers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I have been looking into dog grooming myself too. The only recognised qualification is a City & Guilds 7750 qualification which you can't do in ireland. You can do it in the UK. I am not sure but i think you can get the experience here and go over to the exams. You need 18 months experience before you can sit the exams.

I don't see why you can't do a course in grooming here to get an understanding of it and to get some experince and then to go on to do the City & Guilds qualification.

Here's a link to the dublin school of grooming:
    http://www.learndoggrooming.ie/career.html

I think the fees are a bit too expensive.

As someone else mentioned that grooming is expensive and its just an unnecessary expensive on owners during the recession. Don't let that put you off. If you want to do it, go for it. The recession will end sometime!
    I have also heard of a owners having a six week wait to get their dog groomed, because they had so much work.

Advertisement