Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the entirety of your brain

• 30-10-2009 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭

I was recently told by a doctor that people who write at an angle, say 90 degrees or less, are only using half their brain.

As someone who does this I'm interested to know is their any truth in this? And if so, is there any way to use the entirety of your brain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

alternate angles maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Quick lit search hasn't shown anything up... and I would be extremely skeptical about statements like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I don't know about statements like that. You never use more than a small part of your brain at any time anyway. The brain is divided into separate regions...language/sound/vision/cognitive processes/dexterity so handwriting will only use the parts of your brain necessary for that task.

You cannot use all of your brain at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi OP,
    i agree this is complete crap, 'graphology' the study of handwriting especially for the purpose of character analysis is complete tosh..
    there are basic beliefs that handwriting slanting forward or to the right is a sign of ambition or the opposite direction a sign of being laid back but when challenged these hand writing experts can not even determine or distinguish the sex of of the individual whos writing they analyse..its bull****..
    here is the wiki link to it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphology check out 'validity'.

i cant believe a doctor told you this..a simple experiment with an EEG would quickly prove this to be complete nonsense i would imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

It wasn't this fellow, was it?

e9568c78858962503d7eacb752623a9d_Dr%20Nick%20Simpsons.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That is arguably the funniest reply I've ever seen on Boards, valmont :p

In reply t the OP, I really can't see how this is true but, then again, i think that there's more info from your source than you're revealing to us here. I mean, from what you've written, if i start writing at an angle, does that mean I'm only using half of my brain? Some people are semi-paralysed in their neck region and tilt their heads in one direction, so maybe it's something to do with this?

Advertisement