Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introductions thread?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

I know there's probably an introduce yourself thread somewhere on boards.ie, but I was thinking, for people who post solely in the fighting game board, should we start an introduction thread? Like basic info, yknow. W/e, just an idea, probably a stupid one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I think it'd be a good idea to have one just for this subforum - I'm too lazy to check right now but if there is a single intro thread for a forum with over a quarter of a million members then I don't think that's particularly useful.

Anyway, even though I've been posting here for a few months already I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to those who don't know me that well - I'm Robert and I'm from Belfast. First fighting game I played was SFA3 back in '99 and I've been playing them competitively since, I believe, August 2007 when I won a Guilty Gear Accent Core tourney that served as a test run for the now-famous Dragonslayers Ranking Battles. XBL gamertag is Yreval, for anyone who wants to challenge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Cool let me go then too :)

Most guys here know me as Ramzs, real name is Eoin. I'm 18, currently repeating the Leaving, and I'm from, and still living, in Westmeath. First memory I have of playing Fighting games was back on the Genesis with SF2. From then on I've been playing, mainly dedicated to SF but play a lot of Tekken and some GG/CvS2. I've never played offline :(

I'd say I've been taking Fighters seriously for about 5/6 years, even though they've always been my favourite. I used to spend hours as a kid sometimes experimenting and just examining games as I played them, as I always found fighters to have that side to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Hello. :)

Normally go by Sisko in my online gaming but when I joined boards to make a post on the battlefield section I thought I'd try to be funny... and thus 'Cunny-Funt'. :(
    Which would have been fine if I stuck to posting on the BF forums once every few weeks but I got more involved in other sections of boards it turned out the name was a very bad idea... lol (people misinterpret my posts at lot assuming I'm trying to be a...well funny c*nt or trying to be the next pighead:rolleyes:)

I would have played street fighter etc as a kid but only about 2 years ago when I finally played online did I become aware of how ****ing brilliant the games really were. I never experience the arcade scene. So online gaming was all I got but I was hooked.

In October 08 in anticipation of the upcoming HD remix and SFIV and others plus out of the dismay at the lack of a solid community in Ireland, I started the push to get our own fighting game section here on boards.ie. After a really long fight, months and months later. We got it and it turned out to be everything I hoped for and more.

Since then I finally got to experience a proper real life tourney and I'm now even more hooked than ever!

**edit**

Oh yeah, I'm 24, from Dublin and in my final year in DCU doing multimedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Farzad, 24 [so old :(], Dublin- i live on dame street actually
    Full time web designer in the digital hub.

I come from times when people would look on SRK for irish SF players.
    Ramza and me had some great matches, chun vs urien

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh Dog...

Brian/Doom. 30 year old DB consultant.

My association with fighting games goes back to nearly the very start. I think the first one I owned was IK on C64.

I can still remember the first time I saw Street Fighter (Bray), World Warrior (Strand Bowl) and even Mortal Kombat (Leisure plex Coolock!).

I'll never forget learning the "secret special moves" in SF2... a frigging fireball. :D

There was no internet, no guides, you had to learn from those scabby little stickers on the arcade machines :) and later EGM specials.

I remember the explosion of popularity, walking into Barneys, every SF2: CE in a bank of 8 or nine being used. Sigh...

You rarely played against people at home- arcades was where it was at. At home you practiced against the computer, or your brother :D

I remember seeing VF and Tekken and thinking "that'll never catch on" :D

I've taken some time away from fighting games because there was a gap between the death of arcades and the birth of online. I'm just really getting back into it now in a serious way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Barry, 23, from Dublin. Played fighting games since I was a kid, but it was Sisko who introduced me to their proper competitive side (shortly after he discovered it himself).

Was recently made redundant, so currently on the dole and very very bored! Attempting to get another job in the games industry to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Terry, 25, living in Dublin for the past few years but originally from wexford. I also go by "Tiger", "Top Tier Whore" and many other names that fellow boardsie's have given me :D

Doing a PhD in financial mathematics (just as every bank in the world collapses - great timing eh!)

Started playing computer games at an early age through my older brothers, and haven't stopped since (even though they have). Always loved street fighter 2 on the snes, but it was only a few years ago when I got back into street fighter after playing Third Strike on an emulator. Really enjoying the scene now

*Edit*: I thought it was interesting that Daniel (HMUYA) explained his username below so I'll do the same. I was a big fan of Final Fantasy X which had a cool summonable demon called anima. Unfortunately, someone else on boards had taken anima so I stuck an X at the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

James,27,living in Belfast,from Kildare.

I'm a "mature" student at the moment which suits me perfectly given the array of tedious jobs I've done over the years.

I first came across a SF2:WW cab in a small take-away in Kerry where I used to spend my summers and was completely blown away.

During secondary school I played a lot of ST,Killer Instinct and Virtua Fighter 2 in a dodgy snooker hall in Kildare with a few lads from school.

When I left school I stopped with the fighting games and games in general for a while and only really started playing SF properly again when I found out about ST on GGPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Daniel (23) from dublin. Currently an unemployed sponger :D

Username stands for Heavy Metal Up Your A$$ :rolleyes: Originally picked for xbox live as the username I wanted was taken. Then I started using it here because I wanted to play people online. Then I lost live and a community built here and I'm stuck with an unpronounceable username

Started playing Street Fighter on the C64. Street Fighter on a tape! Oh yeah!
    Played a bit of World Warrior in an arcade somewhere. I think it was a Leisureplex. But my main play time was on the SNES with CE or whatever the SNES equivalent was. Also played Killer Instinct, various MK titles, Primal Rage. Always with the same group of friends. Unfortunately they stopped playing and I had no-one to play with so I lost interest until SFIV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stephen (26) from Dublin. Currently doing a PhD in Chemistry and doing rather badly in it.

Have been playing games for as long as I remember. I really got into street fighter 2 when it came out, playing it in the arcades and then eventually on the megadrive and through emulators. Used to think I was great at it because I could beat all my mates and the regulars down the local arcade but I found out recently I'm nothing more than a scrub. I went off fighting games for a while because I just couldn't play fighting games on a controller with only 4 buttons.

Street Fighter 4 has gotten me back into fighting games big time and really enjoying the irish scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Johnny, 21 doing a diploma in law. Being playing fighting games since SF2 came out on the snes. Missed out on the alpha/3 series, only really got back into it about 4 years ago and stuck to turbo (I sucked btw, not to give you an impression that I was/am anything but ****e at it). Loving SF4, got DOA and virtua fighter for the 360 too really cheap second hand but they have yet to tempt me. Blazblue on the other hand...

Anyway, some of you may know me from the northern excursion during the summer, have yet to get out to another meet due to work but hopefully that will change soon. Still learning to use a stick (used to pads), and have just recently found out how easy inputs are in SF4 when I tried to play HD remix on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Peeps are probably a little anxious but got pics? Might sound creepy to some people but jus wondering what ye lads look like (no homo?). Facebooks or w/e

Myself :D

Pic

Please overlook my uglyness :L

Not arsed posting a pic but most of us here can been seen in the pics from the last tourney. I'd be the pasty ****er who looks like he hasn't slept in 10 years :mad:

There was another thread a few months back with people's pictures. I'll try to find a link

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Richard / Dick / Foamy... (19) Twenty Next month! *Which is a saturday, so birthday with a casual? yes?* lol

Living in Crumlin / Dublin... not proud of the place.. but it does have its fun moments!!

Im outta work, outta college, going back to college next year to do arts and desgin as I wana be a level designer! (got offered to do a level while I was back in college last year) :D

Some of you might remember me as that Akuma guy..

Only fighting game I do play is SF and I got Xinaki to thank for that, because two years ago I havent played any SF game in about 5 years... those where the days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611935

The picture thread. featuring 6 actual pictures™

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Paul, 27 from the sunny south east.....Waterford :)

I'm a mature student studying engineering at the mo and as blag said it's a pretty good place to be in this big bad recession!!!.

First game I owned was street fighter 2, when 'me mammy' bought it for me along with a snes one Christmas. Been playin street fighter ever since with every new one that came. Funny thing is though, it's only since street fighter 4 that I've been playing It some what competitively. I used to be a bit of a gamer but Now I just play street fighter 4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Good to see you posting dude (Araforn right? I'm Dredzpower on XBL, Gief player). Must get some more games in with you soon, you have a real solid chun.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hey there dredz.. Yep def have to get some more games in man. Really enjoyed those few we had the last time. I think we were battlin it out till we came out even in the end I think. You've a serious gief dude. Always found that matchup to be one of my better ones till I came up against u.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Chris, 22, Carrickfergus. May know me as "the bloke with the fantastic beard that occasionally crops up at Dragonslayers but isn't from the Republic"... or just Kanped, for short. He's a little fighting-game biography;

Started off, as many of you will have, playing SF2 on the SNES but when MK:2 came out... well, fatalities are more important than fighting mechanics to a 6 year old. Then I got into Killer Instinct because I loved the combo system and it had fatalities, too! Wow! This chapter closed when I dicovered Soul Blade on the PS. Here was a 3d fighter that, unlike my experiences with Tekken and VF, was fluid, fast-paced and fun. I never thought I'd get into 3d fighters but I was an instant convert and left the 2d games on the SNES.

About that time, my mates decided they liked FPS better, the charlatains. I just concentrated on getting good at the Soul series against the CPU. Then, I played DOA4 which was a great remedy to the slightly dissapointing SC3. DOA4 had online, so I was finally exposed to people who were good at games. Lots of losses- that won't do.
    OK, so how do you play the game well? I know its only DOA but it was my first experience with frame data etc. and understanding how fighting games actually work. I learned quite a bit from DOA and I think its better than the reputation it gets.

So, finally, SFIV comes out and I love it, so I decide to go and look up tiers and data before I go online and discover this huge community of fighting game fans (and the existance of 3rd strike, among other 2d games I missed). Its something I want to be a part of.

Since then, I've been trying my best to get into it (or at leat decide on a main- its been 10 months), and I've taken an interest in Guilty Gear and Blazblue but I'm still just learning those games.

I also play bass in this band... http://www.myspace.com/nldband

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Good to see you posting dude....Araforn right?

So that's who Araforn is!! I'm friends with you on XBL but never played any games. Must invite you to some games also

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kanped wrote: »
    Chris, 22, Carrickfergus. May know me as "the bloke with the fantastic beard that occasionally crops up at Dragonslayers but isn't from the Republic"... or just Kanped, for short. He's a little fighting-game biography;

Started off, as many of you will have, playing SF2 on the SNES but when MK:2 came out... well, fatalities are more important than fighting mechanics to a 6 year old. Then I got into Killer Instinct because I loved the combo system and it had fatalities, too! Wow! This chapter closed when I dicovered Soul Blade on the PS. Here was a 3d fighter that, unlike my experiences with Tekken and VF, was fluid, fast-paced and fun. I never thought I'd get into 3d fighters but I was an instant convert and left the 2d games on the SNES.

About that time, my mates decided they liked FPS better, the charlatains. I just concentrated on getting good at the Soul series against the CPU. Then, I played DOA4 which was a great remedy to the slightly dissapointing SC3. DOA4 had online, so I was finally exposed to people who were good at games. Lots of losses- that won't do.
    OK, so how do you play the game well? I know its only DOA but it was my first experience with frame data etc. and understanding how fighting games actually work. I learned quite a bit from DOA and I think its better than the reputation it gets.

So, finally, SFIV comes out and I love it, so I decide to go and look up tiers and data before I go online and discover this huge community of fighting game fans (and the existance of 3rd strike, among other 2d games I missed). Its something I want to be a part of.

Since then, I've been trying my best to get into it (or at leat decide on a main- its been 10 months), and I've taken an interest in Guilty Gear and Blazblue but I'm still just learning those games.

I also play bass in this band... http://www.myspace.com/nldband

You gave me some stress at Dragonslayers. I am now afraid to play footsy with Akumas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm.. only seeing this thread now since it was bumped :confused:

Anyway, did one of these posts over in the TV forum so I won't reiterate most of it, you can see it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63511154&postcount=11

To add for this forum:

Been playing games since I can remember. First console was an Amstrad GX4000 and my first handheld was an Atari Lynx v2, but was playing games for a good few years before that over on my friends C64. People talk about consoles today being expensive, I remember getting a Sega Megadrive, 2nd hand, with about 10 games for ~IE£300 and thinking I was robbing the guy.

Anyway, never really played Fighting games more than just mashing out the basic stuff. First fighter I ever played was a rental copy of Street Fighter II on the Megadrive. I remember the character I kept on picking mainly was Dhalsim as I could keep the other guy away on the other side of the screen with my elastic limbs. Only played that for 2 days.

Next I remember renting Mortal Kombat for the Genesis (the best version) over a weekend and, like Doom said, had no internet so I couldn't figure out how to pull of a fatality. I remember there wasn't any hints on how to do them in the manual. So I'd purposefully lose against the CPU to see them pull off the fatalities on me.

Went a few years without ever playing another fighter until the local arcade got a Killer Instinct cab and myself and a few friends would blow hours in their, alternating between it and Sega Rally.

After that, when I bought a PS1 I got Tekken 3. This was really the first noticeable fighting game for me. I spent a lot of time on it, learning Jin mainly. It got to the point where I was "that guy" over at friends houses. You know the guy who is so good at a game that nobody will play him any more (I wasn't actually that good, I'd just bothered to learn more than just Eddie Gordo)

After that I went travelling for a bit, started college. I completely overstepped the PS2, Xbox generation. When I finally settled again I got into PC gaming mainly and stayed that way for a good few years.

Next experience with fighting games was in college. The SU pulled a Tekken 3 cab off the scrap heap and put it in the student lounge. I dusted off the old PS1, fired up Tekken 3, and refreshed my memory of Jins moveset. Would spend a good few of my lunch breaks just standing at the cab. All of them had either not touched the game in years, never played it or only knew some cheap Yoshimitsu and Eddie moves so it wasn't really a challenge for the most part.

That gave me a taste for fighting games again so I got a copy of Street Fighter Alpha for the GPA:SP. It's horrible really, but at the level I was at it was fine for the car journey into college. This was the first game to introduce me to Akuma and he instantly became my main.

This was back in 2004. I skipped the whole console Alpha series and SFIII. Then this year, a friend got SFIV for his PS3 and I said I'd get it to play some games over PSN with him. He quit after a week, and here I am still.

Haven't really taken any fighting games seriously up until this point. But I guess the difference now is the internet. If I want to know something or learn something new their are now guides and videos and discussions all over the net that will help me.

Don't give the game near enough time though. Only recently have I started dedicating time to just training in it. I've probably spent more time on SFIV than I have on any other game I've played. That being said, I've got a long way to go before I'm even going to be close to the players who've been playing fighting games and learning them for years.

tl;dr: Scrub in training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Ryan (25) Only started playing Street fighter about 2 months ago. I think I've picked it up pretty quick and I think my Ryu is fairly solid though I do terribly at tournaments. **** knows. I'm enjoying the embarassment my Viper is causing me and hoping it will turn around in time as I'm sick of the ryu factor.

I'm an awful loser if it's a totally one sided fight. I handle it pretty badly tbh if I've thought I had a chance to win in the first place. My GFWL ID is Claavus add me and ehh yeh ggs'111 liek. Oh and I like to waffle ****e over people's shoulders while they play at tournaments or meets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Mervyn, 21, final year computing student up in Coleraine (of all places), been playing fighting games off and on since I was a wee tyke. Problem is that its always against the damn computer!

Finally tripped over the competitive scene when somebody tipped me off about Q-con in Belfast and I ran into the DS crew, yet I've still managed to be estranged from it thanks to uni and miss most of the meetings since.

I'm naturally pretty good at FGs in general but I have a desperate lack of practice at any one in particular, especially against live opponents.

I'm a big SF4 hater but I'll still play it now and again because kids these days won't play anything else! Hoping Super fixes at least some of my hates so I can really get into it and keep up with the joneses.

So yeah, just looking around for local competition so I can get some proper games in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

...the DS crew...

what's the DS crew?

DS players crew? :)

Dragon Slayers:D

Advertisement