Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Routes around the City

• 30-10-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I've been getting on my bike again lately (after a fairly long break where I let myself go waay too much :o)

I'd be interested to know which routes other local cyclists use regularly, and which ones you'd consider the best/most challenging. Like every Irish county, the country roads aren't too good for cyclists, and safety is probably my main concern. I cycle for fitness, not racing, and only doing 15-20 miles a day at the moment, (but working that back up fairly fast) so I'm mainly using routes around the city.
    For example, one decent route is along the new outer ring road: Starting from the peoples park, travelling out the Dunmore road and onto the ring road (R470) at the second hospital entrance, then joining the cork road at the Holycross roundabout and back into the park.
    It's quite hilly, and just under ten miles, so you can travel it a couple of times and generally know exactly how many miles you've done. The outer ring has excellent cycle/pedestrian paths along the entire length, so the only danger areas to negotiate are the roundabouts on the Dunmore Road, and a couple of sections of the Cork road (which are generally fine).
    I've also noticed that there are good cycle lanes along the (new?) Old Kilmeaden Road, but that the roads are a bit dodgy coming down from Cleaboy and past the back of the industrial estate. There are paths on the N25 too - from Rice Bridge to the new roundabout - and you can loop back using the paths into Ferrybank via the Newrath road. I'd recommend against going for a look at the new bridge: the slip road leading up to it is hella busy and the hard shoulder was never completed - its just a muddy strip bordering onto the road surface. And ofc you can't cross the bridge on a bike anyway.

Anyway, I'd appreciate comments and suggestions from other cyclists.

Waterford City google maps linky: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=waterford+city,+ireland&sll=89.194642,92.8125&sspn=148.076297,360&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Waterford,+County+Waterford,+Ireland&z=12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Longest ive done here is 30 miles. Starting from cork road, out the tramore road, through tramore to the coast road, all the way to bunmahon, then back to the cork road via kill. We planned to do it again but never got around to it. Usually just go around the ORR now. Or through the city from it, similar to your park one there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Good to hear your back on the bike.

There are loads of routes around the place. If I were you I would get out of the city and do routes as opposed to cycling in and around it.

Some suggestions...

Tramore and back
    Tramore, Fenor, Ballyscanlon, Cork Rd.
    Tramore, turn off for Dunmore East, turn left for airport & back towards city.
    Tramore, Dunmore East Rd., Ballymacraw, Gaultier Cross & back in Dunmore Rd.
    Tramore, Dunmore East & back in Dunmore Rd.
    Tramore, Gaultier Cross (go straight through), Woodstown, Passage East & back in Dunmore Rd.
    Tramore, Fenor, Annestown, Bunmahon, Kill, Kilmeaden.
    Kilmeaden, Portlaw, Carrolls Cross & back.
    Kilmeaden, Carrolls Cross, Kill, Kilmeaden.
    Kilmeaden, Carrick, Kilmacthomas, Kilmeaden.

...and all those in reverse. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Good tips there by shapez. You could also cheack out this club http://sportifwaterfordcc.blogspot.com/ they do some nice spins and are a good bunch of people. I've been out with them a few times myself.

Advertisement