Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearóid Walsh Memorial 5-aside Tournament

• 30-10-2009 2:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

I suggested this on the other thread and got positive initial feedback so I'm just going to assume we'll get enough numbers to make this worthwhile and try get things moving asap.

First off, anyone interested in playing can they please PM me their full name and a contact email address. We need to get an idea of numbers asap.

Second, the more volunteers we get on board to organise this, the better. I'm thinking:

- Someone who's organised a tournament such as this before who can offer guidance with format etc.
    - Anyone who has a contact somewhere to host the event
    - Someone who can organise a paypal account or other method for donations to be made
    - Anyone who can get us bibs, balls, etc.

So please PM me if you can assist anywhere here. Kryogen has already kindly offered to help.

Finally, I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to advertise or promote this, but I'm thinking the more exposure we can get, the higher the liklihood we could get a corporate sponsor, premises to host the event for free or anything that could make a real difference in terms of raising funds or cutting costs. To that end (and obviously if the consensus deems it appropriate) if anyone can function as a press officer who will inform appropriate media of this event (press releases etc).

Boards.ie mods maybe pitch this on the sitewide bulletins perhaps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Any feedback on this suggestion is welcomed lads

Could we sticky this please mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is a good idea and I'll follow events closely.

I was just thinking there, and apologies if this is a dumb or impractical idea, but since Gearóid was a big fan of Damien Duff and Aidan McGeady perhaps we could ask one or both of the lads to sign some memorabilia so it can be sold on in his name?

The play-off game at Croker is only two weeks away and two of the players have given interviews for Boards before, one of which was Duff. I'm sure they wouldn't mind contributing towards such a good cause in tribute to such a big fan of theirs.

As I say I'm not sure if it's practical or not but it's just a thought I had.

Im in.

Have PM'D Neil to give him a hand organising it if needed but I am sure Des has a load more options from being with the Boards team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm not sure what assistance I can be of as I assume it will be a Dublin-based thing but if I can help in any way, I will.

I'd certainly be interested in playing if it was a day I could make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Was gonna post a some kind of suggestion in the RIP thread, but with the intentions going towards the SSF (boards yearly charity), or Geroids favorite charity if it became known.

I think its great that people from a "message board" want to honor a fellow contributor in such a way and I am definitely willing to help or participate in any way I/we can.

This is the time where afflictions are put to one side and we stand united as a group, forum, community, and prove that we more than the clubs we support, more than the affiliations that divide us, and show that we are a community joined brought together by our love of a sport.

My thoughts go out to his family, and especially his mother.

RIP Gearoid,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Defintely.

In memory of a Celtic supporter and a boardsie. Gearoid has contributed immensely to this forum and will be sadly missed. May everyone on this forum aspire to be as insightful and thought provoking as Gearoid.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Will gladly take part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There will definitely be Boardeaux participation in this. Maybe even more than one team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Good idea and would love to play in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

count me in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Thanks to everyone who's sent me a PM, I can only log in briefly here and will respond to each of you individually in the afternoon.

What would people say to a team entry fee of €50?

Anyone who can get a team together that's great and then everyone who registers individually I'll randomly generate teams and each member can pay a tenner. Obviously if people can't participate (I myself am on crutches at the moment) they are more than welcome to donate.

Thanks again everyone.

N.

5-a-side teams need more than five players though?

If you allow teams of seven or eight lads, allowing for subs, injured parties etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I might be thinking out loud here, but if this is a success (and I have no doubt it will be) then it could be made a yearly event. On the same weekend each year kinda thing.

Get a 'Gearoid Walsh Memorial Trophy' made up and have the tournament every 12 months with proceeds going to charity.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I might be thinking out loud here, but if this is a success (and I have no doubt it will be) then it could be made a yearly event. On the same weekend each year kinda thing.

Get a 'Gearoid Walsh Memorial Trophy' made up and have the tournament every 12 months with proceeds going to charity.

No reason why not.

Also no reason why you shouldn't be taking part :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    No reason why not.

Also no reason why you shouldn't be taking part :pac:

I'd love to be involved, and if it becomes a regular thing I'll be back for plenty of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'd suggest hosting it in the Astropark in Coolock. I booked pitches there last year for a College 5-a side and they were extremely helpful and willing to give discounts, bibs, etc.

Also, for people that can't get involved I presume that there will be a way to donate to the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

i could get a team together , keep us posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Lads, my Da knows Pat Devlin, Duff's agent, I could see ( no promises - I don't know if he sees him ) if he could get a jersey signed? Leave it with me, will see my Da at the weekend.

Lads, my Da knows Pat Devlin, Duff's agent, I could see ( no promises - I don't know if he sees him ) if he could get a jersey signed? Leave it with me, will see my Da at the weekend.

That would be amazing

Let me know what happens there via pm if you can thanks

If that doesn't go work out then gimme a shout, I might be able to get one.

• Advertisement

Is anybody aware of what his favorite charity would have been?

I am setting up a fundraiser page and it would help

If that doesn't go well then gimme a shout, I might be able to get one.

Neil if you could also get one that would be great, 2 is better then 1 anyway!

kryogen wrote: »
    Neil if you could also get one that would be great, 2 is better then 1 anyway!

I'll ask. I can't promise anything other than I'll see what I can do.

I'll ask.

thanks, much appreciated. in case i only get online for a few minutes later can you send me a pm whenever you know

and lads, if nobody knows what charity he would have had a preference for then can people throw out a few suggestions for me to set it up as?

had a few pm's asking about it and would like to get one set up today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I would love to help in any way I can.

I'm going to try and sort out some poker forum teams now but will do anything that needs to be done.

I'll PM Neil now after I start the poker forum thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just to get a feel for what the handiest day of the week to host this on (considering work, match committments etc).

I'm thinking a Sunday afternoon, maybe around 3-4pm?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Just to get a feel for what the handiest day of the week to host this on (considering work, match committments etc).

if we get enough teams it has to start earlier then that so as not to go on all night!

first off we should get a register of who will play, then come up with a date and time and place, we can sort out the format (how many minutes a side, extra time, golden goal etc.) when we know how many we will get.

A sunday is a good shout though

I won't be playing, but would be up for reffing, and I could probably get one other person to do that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I haven't played in years and am terribly unfit and injured

But I will come out of retirement for this

If I can help in anyway let me know, I would like to see this be successful and become an annual memorial tournament for charity as I think that would be a fitting tribute to Gearoid

• Advertisement

I won't be playing, but would be up for reffing, and I could probably get one other person to do that also.

Ref's will be essential so anyone who knows people willing to do it just let us know, thanks Des

Neil3030 wrote: »

Earlier the better as it may go on for quite a while.

In regards to using the astropark in coolock, their base price is 70 euro per hour, which is quite high. Even with a discount it will expensive enough. Generally, the base price is 50 euro an hour in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Astro park in Tallaght will do you a deal if your booking a large number of pitches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Considering this is based in Dublin I cannot participate but will donate for charity or for funding for the event.

I am going to check Monkstown sports centre today as mentioned to Neil yesterday, only thing is it is a bit big for 5 a side but would still be very much playable. Generally 6/7 a side is perfect. I'll see what they say anyway, anyone have any suggestion on the numbers I should mention? I'd be confident I'd be able to get 10+ mates involved with notice. I could also check Newpark Sports centre as it across the road from me but again it is probably a bit too big for 5 a side with 6/7 a side being perfect. I am going to head to both these places at 3 so any suggestions on what to say etc would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm sure if you're trying to get a deal with a venue aas well, they'll definitely give a better price given that fact thats its obviously a good cause plus the venue gets the good press from being associated with the whole thing and advertising on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm a maybe depending on dates.

I am going to check Monkstown sports centre today as mentioned to Neil yesterday, only thing is it is a bit big for 5 a side but would still be very much playable. Generally 6/7 a side is perfect. I'll see what they say anyway, anyone have any suggestion on the numbers I should mention? I'd be confident I'd be able to get 10+ mates involved with notice. I could also check Newpark Sports centre as it across the road from me but again it is probably a bit too big for 5 a side with 6/7 a side being perfect. I am going to head to both these places at 3 so any suggestions on what to say etc would be appreciated.

I wouldnt go for either of those pitches, as you said, they are too big. Sportsco in Ringsend, astropark in Tallaght etc are the perfect size for 5 a side.

Tusky wrote: »
    Sportsco in Ringsend, astropark in Tallaght etc are the perfect size for 5 a side.

Sportsco would be perfect actually, would be no harm to check the venues I mentioned anyway & we have already had a few people saying they'd check other locations so we'll see what happens. Xavi suggestion of making it a regular competition is a cracking idea.

Sportsco would be perfect actually, would be no harm to check the venues I mentioned anyway & we have already had a few people saying they'd check other locations so we'll see what happens. Xavi suggestion of making it a regular competition is a cracking idea.

Good thing about Sportsco as well is that its pretty much in city center - although they are usually booked out in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

There is an all weather pitch in athy built for 5 a side with three pitches. But athy might be to far from Dublin

• Advertisement

Both of the venues I mentioned would be interested in doing it but have to get back to me over availability. Newpark Sports Centre's pitches are built for 6 a-side so depending on the numbers we can look at that. As mentioned by Tusky, Sportsco seems like a really good option facility and location wise. Is there anyone local that could look into that maybe? Anything else I can do to help just pop me a PM or you have my mobile Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Both of the venues I mentioned would be interested in doing it but have to get back to me over availability. Newpark Sports Centre's pitches are built for 6 a-side so depending on the numbers we can look at that. As mentioned by Tusky, Sportsco seems like a really good option facility and location wise. Is there anyone local that could look into that maybe? Anything else I can do to help just pop me a PM or you have my mobile Neil.

I live 10 mins away from Sportsco (but bizarrely didn't know it existed until now) so I can check it out, wont be able to call in there until monday though so if someone can do it before then go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I'd play in this alright and try to get a team together.

I play with a few lads from work at postal celtic's ground in Kiltipper, tallaght. They have 8 (or even 10 pitches i think), which are perfect for 5-a-side. 6-a-side games are even doable on them as well.

its around €50 or 55 for the hour if I remember correctly. They have a clubhouse/bar etc there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

There will definitely be Boardeaux participation in this. Maybe even more than one team.

Will take part as member of Boardeaux team, great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'll take part if its on in Coolock. I've not played for football for about 4years and lack fitness. I'm not sure id make other venues at the moment but will have a better idea when a date is confirmed.

I noticed a Astro park opening soon enough at Clontarf next to the trainstation which might be ideal for people who don't drive? The only problem is not sure when it opens at the moment, looks almost complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Not sure if it was mentioned, but there's 8 or 10 pitches in UCD. I've played in tournaments there (on a saturday morning) where they've been block booked for the day. They've always been run very well. No idea of price, but UCD would be pretty handy to get to from town, the 10 bus runs fairly regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Vanbis wrote: »
    I'll take part if its on in Coolock. I've not played for football for about 4years and lack fitness. I'm not sure id make other venues at the moment but will have a better idea when a date is confirmed.

Lads, don't be worrying about getting there/back as I'm sure there'll be people driving and everything. If you can't make it you can't make it, but the more expressions of interest there are the better picture Neil can build up about how many can make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

St pats fans x 2 teams.

Could get ballyfermot or coldcut D22 for the day.. Coldcut is the best i have played in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'll definately be up for this, might be able to put a team together too.

The Postal (P & T)club on the kiltipper road is another option for getting prices. Theres a bar that does food there aswell if there was anything to be organised after (even a quick drink to Gearoid and presentation of the trophy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

In relation to the deceased and his love of Damien Duff, Mr.Duff actually went to my school, so I was thinking I could ask my Principal for maybe a contact number to his family, and kindly ask would he do this favour maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement