Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearóid Walsh Memorial 5-aside Tournament

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

If this is in Tallaght I'd love to play (assuming there's no age restriction), unfortunately I may not be able to travel very far out of Tallaght without lifts etc. which I wouldn't be relying on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If this is in Tallaght I'd love to play (assuming there's no age restriction), unfortunately I may not be able to travel very far out of Tallaght without lifts etc. which I wouldn't be relying on.
    With the good chance I'll be going, I suppose I could give you a lift seein as I'm just up the road, providing one of us knows the way :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The Sunday mentioned seems like a good idea. If it was at the right time, it would make it possible for people from outside Dublin to travel up. It's only about two hours from Waterford so it'd very do-able.

When there's a provisional idea for this, I'm sure we could get the admins to make a site-wide announcement and hopefully we could attract decent numbers.

It'd be great if this could be an annual event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Whereever this goes ahead, I'll be coming from Kildare and will be available to pick up/drop home people anywhere within reasonable distance from the main road. Just something to bear in mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I will see if I can get a team or two from Irishkop to enter.

We ran one of these a while ago,you will need about 5 or 6 pitches at the start or else it will go on all day.We basically did a Champions League format so we had 6 groups with 2 going though from each group.

Astro park were very good to us they gave us the pitches for nothing in return for a bit of advertising space on Irishkop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd defo be interested in playing.

Its a great idea for a great cause.

Once a rough date is settled, it should be no problem getting a venue, there are astro-parks all over DUblin at the moment, and new ones popping up on a regular basis.

PM'd Neil there too stating I could help out a bit if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

It is a great pity that this event is going to take place at all.
    However given the cause maybe Sportco/UCD or Astropark might do this for free. I think this event would create quite a bit of publicity so it could be a win/win situation for all involved.
    It might be difficult to find a suitable venue at short notice due scheduling of previously booked events but I know if I had a game cancelled due to this event taking the pitch time I would not mind at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can ask Astro.ie if they'd have pitches available somewhere.

Failing that, I think Sportsco would be the best option, as he was from Pearse Street, and it's right near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I'm available for any time, I'll post on foot.ie and see what interest there is in a side from the posters there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Defo interested, coolock would be the preferance but Ringsend is fine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was asked to post this from Chorcai, who is not a member of the Football Forum. If anyone else would like to put up a message don't hesitate to PM myself or Kryogen.
    Originally Posted by Chorcai
    Just wanted to drop a wee note to say good on ya, for the 5 aside. I know when my mate dad died young a few people got together and raised some funds for them. It was much needed, as is this cause. While I have never posted in the soccer forum, I was shocked to hear it on the news today, very sad indeed. Even more shocked to read that he died.

I only found my here via the thread of the day link.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Chris.

RIP Gearóid. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Lads I will have at least two teams to play - only thing is that last week in Nov doesnt suit me, but if it's that week I'll get at least one team out.

RIP Gearoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hi everyone, my name is Aoife Walsh...Im Gearoid's (eirebhoy's) sister. I just want to say first off, from myself and my family, how grateful we are for everyone's support during this tragic time. Gearoid spent literally every day on this site. Even though a lot of you mightn't know him in person, judging by the comments you all left you obviously connected with the Gearoid that we know and love.
    From his family's point of view, we could never express how grateful we are for the support we have received from everyone. Football (ie. Celtic :)) played a big part in Gearoid's life. I think we can take comfort in the fact of knowing that he really enjoyed the time he spent on site's like this talking (or arguing :)) to people like yourselves about his passion for the sport....thank you all for this.
    We have just being reading some of the comments in relation to the 5-a-side fundraising tournament. This is such a great idea and we are so overwhelmed by the attention it has received. I have noticed a couple of you mentioned hosting the event in Sportsco, Ringsend. This would be a perfect location as my family and Gearoid himself were members of this club for years.
    In relation to the charity the proceeds will go to, would it be OK if we got back to you about that at a later date as we would like to think of a suitable charity that was close to Gearoid's heart?
    Again we would just like to say thank you so much, from the bottom of our hearts for all the help everyone has given. You will never understand how much our family appreciate all of this. Gearoid would be honored!

Thanks again,
    The Walsh Family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hi Aoife,

Thank you for posting. Gearoid did indeed mean a lot to this forum and everyone who interacted with him on a daily basis. He was one of us (internet nerd :D) and he loved his football.

In relation to details in the future, feel free to drop a message to any of the forum moderators (myself included) and we can help you in any way that you need.

Thank you for taking the time to post in such a difficult time. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If himself and his family were members of Sportsco then maybe they would give it to us for free. Would mean we would raise a lot more money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Tusky wrote: »
    If himself and his family were members of Sportsco then maybe they would give it to us for free. Would mean we would raise a lot more money.

I will call in there tomorrow and see if I can arrange something with them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Des wrote: »
    There will definitely be Boardeaux participation in this. Maybe even more than one team.

Agreed, I'd be up for this also. PM on its way.

Monsktown, Tallaght or Wesley would be good options for pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'd gladly take part in this, even as a ref if need be. PM sent.

Edit: Can get a team together for it if there is room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Interested in taking part also. Will try and round up some of the cycling forum. Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I would be able to round up a team too, obviously dependant on dates though. 29th would be good for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not sure if anyone from Foot.ie has commented yet and I can't consult the gang as the site is closed today, but I'd be very surprised if we couldn't muster at least one team for this. I'd be happy to throw in some merchandise or memberships as spot prizes too.

I'll make sure a thread runs about it tomorrow and I'll ask someone to make sure we're involved. If ye need any help, please let me know.

Thanks,
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Would definately go to watch and support, live in Ringsend myself. Don't think I could get a team together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Macca07 wrote: »
    Would definately go to watch and support, live in Ringsend myself. Don't think I could get a team together
    There'll be a few teams from people on here i reckon - United fans, Liverpool fans, Spurs fans etc, i'm sure you'd be welcome to join up with one of those teams if you want to take part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Macca07 wrote: »

A friend of Gearoid's, paulbhoy just dropped me a PM. He doesn't have access but really wants to play on a team.

Maybe give him a shout, and there will be others looking to do the same I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Oh yeah, I'm more than likely going to be the only person coming form Waterford for it so I'm just going to be looking to play with anyone who needs someone really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I might be able to make it up from Limerick for this, if any team is looking for a goalkeeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I'm more than likely going to be the only person coming form Waterford for it so I'm just going to be looking to play with anyone who needs someone really.

Im a fellow Waterfordonian! We should get a couple of teams for this heading up, talking to some lads i know who say they will probably be available to go

Also, sorry i been unavailable to check my pm's and reply for the last couple of days, as i have explained to Neil i have a little family situation happening at the moment! all should return to normal over the next 3 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

kryogen wrote: »
    Also, sorry i been unavailable to check my pm's and reply for the last couple of days, as i have explained to Neil i have a little family situation happening at the moment! all should return to normal over the next 3 days!

Pfft... Lies!!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

any update on this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Is this still going ahead? gone very quiet.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement