Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is a Laser card security no?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Currently paying for something online, and the site will take Laser card. But its looking for the CVV digit security card thats on the reverse of all other credit and some debit cards. Laser cards don't have these numbers, and it won't let me pay unless i fill in a number that doesn't exist!! I've tried other numbers on the card, nothing works.

Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

usually one of 123 or 000, either should work

some of the newer cards laser/maestro cards have a CV2 or CVV number on the reverse though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

its where your signature is. It's the last 3 digits (see below)

The cv code (card verification) is to make sure you actually hold the card and didn't skim the details in the many ways known.

creditcardreversefaq.jpg

note: sometimes this number can fade like on mine. the trick is to hold the back of the card facing a light and move it till you see the feint numbers

Hope this helps

*edit*

Are you using an english site? did you select laser/maestro payment? some sites won't accept laser/ maestro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

congo_90 wrote: »
    its where your signature is. It's the last 3 digits (see below)

The cv code (card verification) is to make sure you actually hold the card and didn't skim the details in the many ways known.

creditcardreversefaq.jpg

note: sometimes this number can fade like on mine. the trick is to hold the back of the card facing a light and move it till you see the feint numbers

Hope this helps

*edit*

Are you using an english site? did you select laser/maestro payment? some sites won't accept laser/ maestro

As Jev/N said, the older Laser cards don't have a CVV - I've got two cards on two different accounts - one card has it (recently issued) & the other doesn't. I normally use 999 when using the older one & it always goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

jeckle wrote: »
    As Jev/N said, the older Laser cards don't have a CVV - I've got two cards on two different accounts - one card has it (recently issued) & the other doesn't. I normally use 999 when using the older one & it always goes through.

ah my mistake. Only had this laser card 2+ years so its 2nd nature to me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's the complicated bit. Some laser cards have a CCV number printed, but when the site looks for a CCV number, they're not looking for that number but instead a dummy number like 111 or 999.

Anyway, thread moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where is the site located? A lot of english sites use "switch" laser, and not "maestro" laser that we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Its an Irish site. I tried the whole holding card up to the light trick, but there's defo no 3 digit code beside my signature. Typing in 123 or 999 didn't work either. In the end i just bought a 3V top up and that went through fine. Thanks for the tips anyways guys.

Advertisement