Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eirebhoy Memorial - suggestions thread (please read OP)

• 30-10-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Des wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

One idea was to set up a fund so we, as a community, can do something fitting for Gearóid. Be

A lot of you have PMd me asking how to contribute or make donations.

There are two ways to do this

1. Pay direct to Bank Account by Bank Transfer or Online Transfer

I have a Bank Account which I use to collect payment from the Boardeaux lads, which is not in use at the moment.

Here are the details

Account Name : Des Feeney / Boardeaux
    Account Number : 46761278
    Sort Code : 90-04-71

If you want to, leave a name, if you'd rather remain anonymous, then please do.

2. Via Paypal

The email address to use for Paypal Donations/Contributions is

eirebhoymemorialfund@gmail.com

1) Log in to you PayPal account

2) Click "Send Money" in the header

3) Enter the e-mail address, the amount you are sending and click "Continue"

4) Confirm your payment

Thanks to everyone in advance

Des

I'll publish a tally of contributions at regular intervals, but no names will be published.

I have moved some posts here from the condolences thread so as not to take away from it.

Please feel free to contribute any thoughts/suggestions

Cheers

I'm thinking of something like 15 minutes silence before the 3pm games on Saturday as a mark of respect?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of something like 15 minutes silence before the 3pm games on Saturday as a mark of respect?
    Nice idea but is it not too risky it gets ignored by people and then the abuse starts. Something should be done anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

CHD wrote: »
    Nice idea but is it not too risky it gets ignored by people and then the abuse starts. Something should be done anyway.

maybe we could lock all threads for 15minutes or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CHD wrote: »

True. Maybe see if we can get the whole forum locked for a half hour or something. It was done before, though obviously for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    maybe we could lock all threads for 15minutes or something.

People can still start threads.

What has been suggested elsewhere is we close the forum for a set period, that would need Admin approval (and their direct input).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In the End of Year Awards for this forum, the Best Poster award should be renamed the Gearoid Walsh or Eirebhoy Award IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I didn't know Gearoid personally, but i was a huge fan of his posts in the soccer forum.

I wrote a e-mail to Celtic FC asking for a minutes silence before their game with Kilmarnock on Saturday? I gave them a link to rte.ie with the story.

I hope this is ok with Gearoid's family and friends, i feel since he was such a nice person and so passionate about soccer he deserves to be remembered properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    I didn't know Gearoid personally, but i was a huge fan of his posts in the soccer forum.

I wrote a e-mail to Celtic FC asking for a minutes silence before their game with Kilmarnock on Saturday? I gave them a link to rte.ie with the story.

I hope this is ok with Gearoid's family and friends, i feel since he was such a nice person and so passionate about soccer he deserves to be remembered properly.

Maybe follow up with an email of this thread and some of the photos of him in the Celtic shirt. It's good of you to send the email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

JPA wrote: »
    Maybe follow up with an email of this thread and some of the photos of him in the Celtic shirt. It's good of you to send the email.
    I put a link of this thread in the email i sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't know what everyone's feelings would be on this, but would anyone be interested in organising a memorial charity 5-aside tournament? Has this been suggested already? We could donate the funds raised either to a charity in Gearoid's honour or even Gearoid's family; I'm thinking the last thing they need right now is the costs involved, should they decide to fly Gearoid home and so forth.

Just putting it out there, I don't mind handling the administration side of things if enough people would be up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't know what everyone's feelings would be on this, but would anyone be interested in organising a memorial charity 5-aside tournament? Has this been suggested already? We could donate the funds raised either to a charity in Gearoid's honour or even Gearoid's family; I'm thinking the last thing they need right now is the costs involved, should they decide to fly Gearoid home and so forth.

Just putting it out there, I don't mind handling the administration side of things if enough people would be up for it.

I would definatly get involved in this, drop me a pm and let me know what i can do to help

think its a great idea and if we were to donate the money to the family it would help them with the costs as you mentioned.

• Advertisement

I'll play if organised , tis a good idea.

Isn't it great to see so much feedback for a guy that you only seen posting on a forum? He had respect from all circles with every post he made. It is so sad that something like this ended the life of someone that was obviously a influence on people.

Thoughts are with you're family. You'll Never Walk Alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Good idea and would support it.

Even though I only knew him from his posts on the soccer forum over the years, Im genuinely saddened by the news. Truly tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'll start a separate thread.

I'll start a separate thread.

I know there are a lot of other suggestions doing the rounds at the moment, and I know Des has received a load of PMs from people offering help and donations towards his idea.

I think it would be a good idea if we held off a few days before we tried organising anything just yet, and that we find some way for everybody to work together.

The suggestions are great all the same, I'd been thinking something along the lines of one-off match in honour of him and maybe a table quiz to raise money, but a full tournament is a cracking idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i am genuinely moved by the amount of goodwill and support being shown here guys! its is incredible really. i will be unable to attend any 5-a-side tournie but will be more than happy to contribute in any way, shape or form i can.

also i would suggest perhaps a ten minute silence before the world cup play off matches against france! might be more appropriate as we know for a fact that gearoid wont miss those games!! maybe email the fai like the earlier poster did celtic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I am speechless , really am. I had so many conversations with this guy about our beloved Celtic and even bumped into him in bairds a few times.

OMG

jst found this this thread on another forum he was a member of http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8216966/6/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think the football tournament is a great idea and have already forwarded my details. Will come out of retirement for this one.

i'd also think a half hour silence or something on the football forum (maybe today?) would be a good one. Well all knew him through here so lets remember him through here.

Also I'm not sure how we would/could do this but if anyone on here was a close friend of his and will be going to his funeral I'd have no problem throwing in a few quid towards some flowers from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I sent a PM to Des offering to contribute to a Wreath possibly a Celtic one if the family allowed, if not a donation to Charity of the families choice.

I think perhaps we should pick a time for an hours silence here and eitehr get flowers or donate when the funeral arrangments have made. Then after Eirebhoy has been laid to rest we can organise a memorial event, it's after the funeral when everyone has moved on and the family are still mourning that is the hardest imo so if they could see a community coming together then to remember their lost one it might offer some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I am to old to be playing in a football tournament but would be more than willing to help out in anyway I can.

Would just like to say that he was also a member of a Rangers Forum where everyone knew he was a Celtic fan and in his memory there is now a black border round the forum no one will be able to go on to it if they are not a member but it is www.gersforum.co.uk I can say he is mourned over there very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

While I won't play in the tournament, I'd love to make a donation or help in some other way also.

• Advertisement

I have to say the respect shown and the show of support for the suggestions to date is really heartening. I hope this doesn't sound off, but events like this put things in perspective, and suddenly our petty little arguments don't seem so important any more.

There's a real sense of community in people's response to this, we all share much more than we think, and perhaps building on that would be a long lasting tribute to a great poster?

I'd love to help in any way I can, but that will have to be subject to work commitments I'm afraid.

I think this weekend might be a little early for a "forum silence", though I'm sure we could arrange it. I'm not sure what mods will be around, I know I'm in London, and it will need someone to keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

a game or tournament would be a good idea imo, i'd be up for it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

How about re-naming the Celtic thread to include his name in it ?

ciaran76 wrote: »
    How about re-naming the Celtic thread to include his name in it ?

I was gonna suggest the same thing. Would be pretty good imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm going to provide Bank Account Details and a Paypal account in the next few hours.

One question I have that someone may be able to answer.

From Paypal, can I transfer money to an Irish Bank Account, just so it's all in the same place. And if so, how do I do this?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have to say the respect shown and the show of support for the suggestions to date is really heartening. I hope this doesn't sound off, but events like this put things in perspective, and suddenly our petty little arguments don't seem so important any more.

There's a real sense of community in people's response to this, we all share much more than we think, and perhaps building on that would be a long lasting tribute to a great poster?

I'd love to help in any way I can, but that will have to be subject to work commitments I'm afraid.

I think this weekend might be a little early for a "forum silence", though I'm sure we could arrange it. I'm not sure what mods will be around, I know I'm in London, and it will need someone to keep an eye on it.
    Your post has me close to tears and I did not even know the guy personally :(

If the forum cannot be locked those that really want can just not post for a said amount time. That way each person can show their mark of repsect.

Your post has me close to tears and I did not even know the guy personally :(

If the forum cannot be locked those that really want can just not post for a said amount time. That way each person can show their mark of repsect.

If the forum can't be locked, you'll get people who don't read stickies who will post at the appointed time, then you'll get people jumping on them.

You know the people who spend their time during minute silence going "Shhhhhh".

If the forum can't be locked, you'll get people who don't read stickies who will post at the appointed time, then you'll get people jumping on them.

You know the people who spend their time during minute silence going "Shhhhhh".

Well I'd be willing to give up an hour to lock every thread on the front page, post an announcement, monitor the forum, then re-open everything once the hour is up. Wouldn't be much hassle.

From Paypal, can I transfer money to an Irish Bank Account, just so it's all in the same place. And if so, how do I do this?

Thanks

Yes.

Login to your account.

Select Profile then Add/edit bank account from the drop down menu.

• Advertisement

Cheers tro

Cheers tro

You're welcome.

Also, and I'm open to correction on this, I think you have to give people the e-mail address linked to your account for them to send money, so either do that by PM or use a separate e-mail account.

You're welcome.

Also, and I'm open to correction on this, I think you have to give people the e-mail address linked to your account for them to send money, so either do that by PM or use a separate e-mail account.

I'm just having a mooch around Paypal at the moment.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Instead of renaming a thread, why not rename the Soccer forum as the Gearoid Walsh Soccer Forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Change his profile pic, to be an actual picture of him.
    Change his status to something fitting "Gone but not forgotten" etc
    Put in something in the announcements feature, about his page being open for people to leave their condolences
    Finally, have a thread/page whatever where people can view members that have passed on, and add EireBhoy to that list

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I was going to suggest to make him an Honorary Moderator for the soccer forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Please PM me the a/c details for a donation for a wraeth or whatever is decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jank wrote: »
    I was going to suggest to make him an Honorary Moderator for the soccer forum.

Wasn't he asked to Mod at one time and refused because he didn't want the hassle involved. I think renaming the forum would be a fitting tribute.

I'm not up to playing in a tournamnet but I am very willing to help in any way possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

A one hour silence before the home leg of the Ireland France game I think. Since he loved the Irish side I think that'd be a good tribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'll happily donate money in memory of him. I doubt I'd be able to make it up from Cork for the memorial tournament. Renaming the soccer forum would be a fantastic gesture, especially considering the amount of traffic the forum gets.

SantryRed wrote: »
    A one hour silence before the home leg of the Ireland France game I think. Since he loved the Irish side I think that'd be a good tribute.

That could be the best option, good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

SantryRed wrote: »

This - a one minutes silence for Eirebhoy and for Brice Taton (The Toulouse fan killed in Belgrade) in both Dublin and Paris would be nice, and I don't see that either FA would have a problem with it.

Edit :- I misunderstood Santrys post, , sorry I see now it was a 'boards' slience he meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I was gonna suggest the same thing. Would be pretty good imo.

I will be on too and will help out on that. No need to jump up and down on people who get it wrong. We will just delete any messages that may be updated and close/delete threads.

Can we make it so his username never gets taken? Retire it if you will. I would feel very strange talking to somebody with the same as that anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I will be on too and will help out on that. No need to jump up and down on people who get it wrong. We will just delete any messages that may be updated and close/delete threads.

Can we make it so his username never gets taken? Retire it if you will. I would feel very strange talking to somebody with the same as that anymore.
    AFAIK once a username is taken it can no longer be used by anyone else. One time it was possible but there was a thread in Feedback a while back saying it is no longer possibly. So thankfully eirebhoy will always be Gearoids.

I am sure that other names have been recycled but I do not know how this comes about.
    I would just like to make sure that it does not happen in this case.

I am sure that other names have been recycled but I do not know how this comes about.
    I would just like to make sure that it does not happen in this case.
    Found this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543653

Sorry mate, I do not have access to that thread, what does it say ?

I assume it says a username will not be taken so that is good news.

Ya it means no name changes.
    Recently, DeVore checked out some stats with some amazing results.

Apparently a LOT of people who registered back in 2001/2002 came back 6/7 years later and started posting again.

The upshot of discovering that means, if the name already exists, we cannot give it to someone else.

Please be aware that a lot of subscribers who change their nickname revert back to their old one.
    For various reasons I assume, but I expect it's mostly because nobody knows you anymore.
    So think about that before making your request.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It says the below from Ber, in the subscriber name change request forum. However I've seen it happen in the past that people lost their names, I think prompting that post, no harm making it 'official'.

Personally think a silence on the soccer forum is a good idea. If you need a hand during the time period to monitor just ask.

Outside of boards, maybe celtic will hold a minutes silence. Keen to contribute when you get paypal up Des.

I've read some great posts from Eirebhoy over the years. I know it would be a fair bit of work, but how about we start a thread with some of his best posts on football, Ireland and Celtic? People just post their favourite with a couple of lines explaining why, no other discussion. It's then a good place for people not overly familiar with his posts to see what he was all about.

Name Change Requests - You Cannot Have an Existing Name

Recently, DeVore checked out some stats with some amazing results.

Apparently a LOT of people who registered back in 2001/2002 came back 6/7 years later and started posting again.

The upshot of discovering that means, if the name already exists, we cannot give it to someone else.

Please be aware that a lot of subscribers who change their nickname revert back to their old one.
    For various reasons I assume, but I expect it's mostly because nobody knows you anymore.
    So think about that before making your request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

copacetic wrote: »
    I've read some great posts from Eirebhoy over the years. I know it would be a fair bit of work, but how about we start a thread with some of his best posts on football, Ireland and Celtic? People just post their favourite with a couple of lines explaining why, no other discussion. It's then a good place for people not overly familiar with his posts to see what he was all about.

Heres at excellent one from him in the rec/gambling forum over 3 years ago.
    He found a decent offer from online bookmaker Mansion which basically gave people who signed up a no risk 50/50 shot at winning €700. 50% of the time you won €700, the other 50% of the time you lost nothing.
    As good an intro offer as any bookie has given.
    People were dubious and demanded from the OP what the catch was, but he turned out to correct.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982655

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I have to say, in spite of feeling really sad, it's hard not to feel a little warmth at the sight of everyone coming together like this.

I would second jank on post-humous modship, and renaming the Celtic thread/forum is a fantastic idea too.

And actually, on the point T4TF made about his name, what about retiring his avatar? He had become synonmyous with that picture. If others are using it maybe they could have the situation explained and asked if they were alright with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement