Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want New GPS phone - not 5800

• 30-10-2009 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I had to return a Nokia 5800 due to its very poor( i.e. ridiculous) GPS performance. I am upgrading frm E51 and would like some similar functionality but with the addition of GPS and FM radio.

I have been told various things about GPS on phones including that the performance on the 5800 - taking 30-60 minutes to lock on th satelite- was normal for mobile phone GPS. (Although I was told it was good before I bought it)

Can anyone advise on a phone which has useful GPS ( i.e. 1-2 minutes to lock on and fast enough update to use for travel) and has also FM radio and , as a bonus, QuickOffice or similar. I was originally told GPS on 5800 was good and then when I brought it back because of poor perforance, that "they all do that "! I am reluctant to buty again just on advice of shop.

Thanks for help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

with quick office /??

nokia 6220.

nokia n96

Samsung S8000 Jet

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

My E71 is very fast to get a GPS lock since I upgraded to the latest firmware. Screen is a bit small cf 5800, but it seems to tick all your other boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

E71 - second that. Excellent.

Also, and unfortunately I can't find a link, last year a phone-site tested the e71's gps capabilities, and not only was it very fast, battery life was the best on ANY gps-device they had ever tested.

As to the Samsung Jet... Please google! I know there are a lot of happy users here, but it seems a gamble. The Jet is notorious for gps- and mapping-software 'issues'! In fact, officially, it isn't even compatible with google maps! That IS according to Google! Yet Vodafone UK, Vodafone Irel and various other networks slapped google maps into the Jets firmware, causing a lot of errors! My Jet's been away for fw-reinstall for more time that I had to actually use it. Google maps still only works sporadically, and only via the live!-AccessPoint! After a 20 mins period it'll just shutdown the entire phone. Twice, after the firmware re-install, I lost all data, when the phone just performed a hard-reset on itself when I started Google Maps. Furthermore, other mapping programs don t install at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not available on an Irish carrier so may be of no use but my HTC Diamond has great GPS performance. Satellite lock in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

E52 has GPS as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭mihau

i was going to buy a nokia 5800. are you absolutely sure that this lack of gps performance applies to all the 5800?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

mihau wrote: »
    i was going to buy a nokia 5800. are you absolutely sure that this lack of gps performance applies to all the 5800?

Have the network assisted GPS turned off on my 5800 and have to say I have zero problems using it and overall found the GPS to be grand tho Im in Dublin if that might make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Once you have the latest firmware for the 5800 the gps improves a lot. Even without a-gps mine connects within a minute or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Nokia 5800 Navigator Edition (:P).. don't think its out yet!

What about a iPhone? Or a Jet/E71/Hero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Thanmks guys

E52 oe N71 seems to be my best choice then. I will have a look.
    mihau wrote: »

See these
    http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&thread.id=126710
    http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/board/message?board.id=navigation&thread.id=10214
    There are others if you Google "Nokia 5800 GPS problem"
    To be honest i don't know. I found it takes from 20minutes minimum to over an hour for "Maps " to show my position. However the Saterlite indicators in "location" can be visible within minutes. I suspect either the software is extremely poor or it has been slowed don to force you to use assisted GPS 9 at a cost).
    I was told GPS was ok when I bough, about a wek ago, but when I returned it I was told the performance was normal for the 5800. The manager of shop said his 5800 was as slow. If you are really keen on 5800 9 which I really liked in every other respect) then I would suggest testing it in shop or getting assurances that they will accept return if faulty. In my case, because the managers phone also had same problem, he suggested that as he put up with it so should I and implied i was being fussy.

Thanks again for great advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

mcyclist wrote: »
    Thanmks guys

E52 oe N71 seems to be my best choice then. I will have a look.

See these
    http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&thread.id=126710
    http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/board/message?board.id=navigation&thread.id=10214
    There are others if you Google "Nokia 5800 GPS problem"
    To be honest i don't know. I found it takes from 20minutes minimum to over an hour for "Maps " to show my position. However the Saterlite indicators in "location" can be visible within minutes. I suspect either the software is extremely poor or it has been slowed don to force you to use assisted GPS 9 at a cost).
    I was told GPS was ok when I bough, about a wek ago, but when I returned it I was told the performance was normal for the 5800. The manager of shop said his 5800 was as slow. If you are really keen on 5800 9 which I really liked in every other respect) then I would suggest testing it in shop or getting assurances that they will accept return if faulty. In my case, because the managers phone also had same problem, he suggested that as he put up with it so should I and implied i was being fussy.

Thanks again for great advice.

What firmware was your 5800 on?

It was only purchased on Monday so assume it was on latest version however i did not test it.

It was only purchased on Monday so assume it was on latest version however i did not test it.

Advertisement