Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 30-10-2009 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi All

Recently moved from the Mournes to the North West and am thinking of a career change. I am booked in to do my Group Leader course with a view to acting as a guide for small groups in the Mournes and the NW. I am not interested in setting up a complete tourism business. My passion is hillwalking and would love to be able to introduce more to it and share what knowledge I have gained over the years. I have spoken to a few people who were in this line of work and they appeared quite negative as they ended up running a complete tourist business instead of taking small group out on the hills. It ended up consuming their lives.
    I would appreciate any advice from those in the know about persueing this as a career. I am aware the financial side can be small however that is not why I am doing it. Look forward to advice positive and negative.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm only in training at the moment, logging stuff for my mountain leader. Are you going for walking group leader or mountain leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm only in training at the moment, logging stuff for my mountain leader. Are you going for walking group leader or mountain leader?
    Hi Mick
    Doing Walking Group Leader at present and then will probably do ML. How are you finding it? Are you doing this to make a career out of it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hopefully :)

So far so good anyway. I'm doin a degree in outdoor education so its all part of that. I reckon you should go straight for ML rather than walkig group, you're pretty restricted in where you can bring people with the WGL. It would take at least a year to log all the stuff for ML, if not longer, so you're aswell to go for it i think.

Advertisement