Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats all the Rubbish in Eyre Street?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

The last two mornings on my way into work, Eyre Street has looked like a rubbish tip, literally!!:eek:

It looks like all the bags of rubbish have been emptied onto the streets. There are bottles and cans everywhere not to mention all the wet paper rubbish. Does anyone know what the hell is going on?? It is defo not a case of a dog ripping open a bag, this looks like it's been done on purpose :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

Emmi wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the hell is going on??
    Halloween celebrations. City is always like this leading up to it. Was quite a mess on Thursday morning too.

Although fair play to the cleaning lads, place was spotless half an hour later. Shame they dont get the recognition they deserve though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

one word. students

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

paconnors wrote: »
    one word. students

:rolleyes: how very astute of you. This week there have been a hell of a lot of people out and about at night particularly as its been unseasonably dry and warm and yes the vast majority are students (is it grant time this week or just the Halloween run up?)
    Your reply is obviously meant to be denigrating to students but during other busy times in Galway (race week, arts festival, bank holidays) is it spotlessly clean in Galway? maybe you should think a little more about your replies before responding with facile comments. And before you ask no I am not a student

Webbs wrote: »
    :rolleyes: how very astute of you. This week there have been a hell of a lot of people out and about at night particularly as its been unseasonably dry and warm and yes the vast majority are students (is it grant time this week or just the Halloween run up?)
    Your reply is obviously meant to be denigrating to students but during other busy times in Galway (race week, arts festival, bank holidays) is it spotlessly clean in Galway? maybe you should think a little more about your replies before responding with facile comments. And before you ask no I am not a student

I use to work in the taxi office on eyre st did the night shifts and it was the same EVERY YEAR. go along that st any bank holiday weekend or race week wont be too messy. also remember on a thursday night who else would be out. working people wont. and last night all the clubs were offering free in if u dreesed up. most people including myself will go out sat night and celebrate holloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I use to work in the taxi office on eyre st did the night shifts and it was the same EVERY YEAR. go along that st any bank holiday weekend or race week wont be too messy. also remember on a thursday night who else would be out. working people wont. and last night all the clubs were offering free in if u dreesed up. most people including myself will go out sat night and celebrate holloween.

feckin students...use to be that you'd go out looking for a fun time not to try and intimidate others and act the arsehole...I say we gather at half past noon on the morrow and give those students a bloody good trashing..hoorah! Grab your brooms bhoys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This thread is on life support...

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

God, I hope all of you never have children going to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Fair enough, in that of course your right in that it was students who had caused the mess during the week.
    What I was trying to get at was that if you have a large group of people out in town then there will always be mess, students or not. Quay and shop streets and around Spanish Arch are a right mess after busy nights, I guess Eyre st is more of a student hangout than the former.

the hole in the wall bar is a big hit with students

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Not students, young adults who don't know any better. ie Freshers - 17-18 year olds who've been let out the gap of second-level education and lose the run of themselves.

And who else would be out on a thursday?
    Part-time workers, folks who don't work 9-5, mon-fri, folks out for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Grab your brooms bhoys!

That was 2 days ago! linky

Eyre square is always a mess in the mornings. I walk through it everyday, though its probably worse with the likes of halloween, bank holidays etc. They're pretty quick on the clean up though, lads out picking up rubbish every morning as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not overly fond of students for a few other reasons, but come on, only students out on a Thursday night? I was out last night and its a long time since I was a student... didn't see too many students either where I was. Now if you want to start a rant about young people (not just students) these days not having any sense of civic duty and leaving litter around the place, I'll happily join your witch hunt...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Ive just come from that part of town and its still manky in there.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not overly fond of students for a few other reasons, but come on, only students out on a Thursday night? I was out last night and its a long time since I was a student... didn't see too many students either where I was. Now if you want to start a rant about young people (not just students) these days not having any sense of civic duty and leaving litter around the place, I'll happily join your witch hunt...
    well to be honost anybody i know thats workin 9 to 5 jobs dont go out clubin midweek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

well to be honost anybody i know thats workin 9 to 5 jobs dont go out clubin midweek

Who said anything about clubbing? You can go out for a few pints too you know. And "anybody I know" does not equal everybody, so you can't generalise based on the small circle you know in comparison to the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it's not just students...hubby mentioned one night he got back from work around 6 pm, and he saw two teeny girls, 16 years max, off their heads drunk, tipping rubbish bins. Charming. One wonders where the parents are and who allowed them to get booze...

To be honest, these nights, I wish for bucketing rain and general nasty weather, just to keep the amount of annoying, shouting, drunk idiots roaming the streets down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

I was around the square today with my son who is 19mths, there was broken glass everywhere including the playarea. The streets down at the back of debenhams were a discrace.

It's one thing being like that at 9/10 in the morning. It's another thing when the mess is still there at 4/5pm in the evening.

It's not so much who did it as who isnt doing anything about it...I was in Seville recently and roadsweepers etc were out first thing in the morning...what the hell are the council at???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

errr....

last week was mid term break, and knackery kids always hang out on eyre square. lack of school amplified the numbers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

hole in the wall probobly has a lot to blame for that, with the slackness of stoping people leaving with pints

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should make ASBO kids do the street cleaning before going to school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Magnus wrote: »
    They should make ASBO kids do the street cleaning before going to school.

Or help to clear out our wonderful sewerage systems when it gets backed up and super smelly :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

This thread is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Indeed it is.

There was rubbish on the street. Someone wants an explanation?
    People threw it there.

Fin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I lived on Eyre St. last year and a couple of times during the year it became messy. I reckon it's mostly due to the bin lorries not collecting the rubbish for whatever reason (you don't get wheelie bins in the city, you have to leave the bin bags outside the door.) and bags are then left on the street and are knocked over/torn by dogs/drunks/whoever. I just met my landlord from last year the other day and she was giving out about how the residents left out the rubbish, though as it was spilled during the night the lorries didn't collect it the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

I think blaming students might be the easy option but in an overview of the whole thing my reply would be...

More people go out...this includes students,people whose hours have been cut back, people on the dole etc... so on a night out it aint just students...so I would like to call it a mixed group who litter.

I think the lack of public bins is a disgrace in the city and also the lack of times they have been emptied and just let overflow.If the facilities aren't there to put the rubbish then what do ya think a drunk person is going to do.

The council should have the mess cleared early...simple as...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

Emmi wrote: »
    The last two mornings on my way into work, Eyre Street has looked like a rubbish tip, literally!!:eek:
    :mad:

Ireland has a very poor educational system.

You can go right through Primary and Secondary and Third Level in Ireland without ever learning to be clean.

Tokyo is spotless.
    Singapore is spotless.
    Oslo is spotless.

Reyjkavic in Iceland is the cleanest city on earth...no contest.

(Go there if you don't believe me.)

Helsinki,Dersden, Osaka, Herishoma, Stockholm (the list goes on and on)are:
    Surgically spotless,
    Clinically spotless,
    Antiseptically spotless.

You can tell the quality of the educational system in a country by the amount of dirt on the streets.

The Celtic Tiger has "Third World" dirt on the streets.

Advertisement