Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI and Aviva Stadium Block Bookings.

• 30-10-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Morning All

Well I got the dreaded letter this morning.

Dear ( account number xxxxxx) etc

Thanks for your supposrt in Croke park, but alas we are not in a position to offer you a block booking for the new Aviva stadium.
    All bookings are for members prior to 2007 and we also had 49 other members lucky to get offers, but you were not one of these.
    We will keep you on a waiting list in case not all members take up their offer.

Regards

FAI.

OK so the above is a condensed version, but got to say im gutted. I know Aviva is waaaay smaller but I lived in hope.
    Or maybe its the fact I only got my letter last week for the play off games asking for another €100, and havent even got those tickets yet.

Anyway not here to rant or slag off the Fai, just a disappointed Irish fan.:(

Chef

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

We had an alocation in Lansdowne which we increased going into Croker so some of the lads will be disappointed going back. Bad luck though. When did you first get your allocation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

To be honest only got involved when it moved to Croke park, so would have been around 2007/2008.
    As I said im disappointed but I wont be the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wouldn't be that worried tbh. I can see an awful lot of people giving up their allocation once the first couple of matches have been played in the new stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Bollox, I'd say I'll be in the same boat as I only started the block booking when we moved to croker. Bit of a kick in the nuts after taking all those tickets for crap friendlies and meaninless qualifying matches. I bet we'll still get letters asking us to take tickets for the crap games though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Blown out too. No doubt they're hoping that people like us will reconsider the vantage club. Clue: not a chance.

To be honest, the block book was a pain re: having to shell out those prices for some of the friendlies.

Am fairly confident I can hunt down tickets per-game through other channels anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

stovelid wrote: »
    Blown out too. No doubt they're hoping that people like us will reconsider the vantage club. Clue: not a chance.

To be honest, the block book was a pain re: having to shell out those prices for some of the friendlies.

Am fairly confident I can hunt down tickets per-game through other channels anyway.

Block booking seems like a good concept (i.e. you take tickets for all games or none) but the FAI dont seem to enforce it. i know quite a few people who haven't taken tickets for games (big and small) and sure enough they've gotten the invoice for the next set of games regardless.

I'm expecting the same letter as the OP when i get home, disappointing though if they dont penalise BB's who dont take their allocation - how are we ever supposed to move up the list?

Block booking seems like a good concept (i.e. you take tickets for all games or none) but the FAI dont seem to enforce it. i know quite a few people who haven't taken tickets for games (big and small) and sure enough they've gotten the invoice for the next set of games regardless.
    I'd say that's only because they had difficulty filling Croker. I wouldn't say you'd be able to pick and choose like that for games in the new stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

stovelid wrote: »

Vantage club me Ar*e, that was/is a rip off of the highest order.
    I suppose im hoping I can tickets through other means when the time comes.
    Will have to wait and see, although much rather be the master of my own destiny on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I got the same letter, I've been on the waiting list since way before 2007. My suspicion is that this is the usual FAI scamming tactic to try and sell more of the Vantage club seats.

I guess we go back to the old days of going to every game without fail and then chasing tickets for the qualifying matches against the big times like headless chickens amongst the big game only fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I got the letter as well. Paid for every ticket since the Wales game and its been very expensive seeing that i only joined so i can go to the Wales game :rolleyes:. I made sure though that genuine fans got my tickets instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Do the stark raving nutters who bought vantage tickets have to pay up front?

I'd imagine if things continue, there'll be people who bought the tickets who need the cash and might sell either they're seats totally or on a match by match basis.

Pity there was no payment scheme so that loads defaulted and the FAI had to sell normal seats.

I still think it's another black mark against the "organisation" selling so many premium tickets. Atmosphere will certainly suffer because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Why oh why will they not just sell tickets to each game on a general release basis?

Bloody hell, at least they'd actually get genuine fans going, and people who really want to go can go, rather than people having tickets for every match then deciding not to turn up.

The FAI really have gone and pi$$ed of the regular, real fans of our national team.

I remember the good 'ol days when Landsdowne was full of real fans, singing from start to finish, regardless of the match - there just to support the team.

Block booking, vantage club etc b0ll0x.

We should have the gov step in and enforce an Italian regime on selling tickets - all tickets general sale, and maximum price of 10 or 20 per ticket.

The ground would be full for every game then.

I posted this in the other Ireland thread......

Just on the subject of the block booking applications, I was reading this this morning and it would seem that there'll only be 100 people that will manage to get off the waiting list when we move back to Lansdowne.
    The association is already disappointing quite a few people in relation to its block booking scheme which, it has been informing supporters by post in recent days, will not be extended when the redeveloped Lansdowne Road opens next year. There were around 33,000 fans purchasing tickets under the scheme prior to the move to Croke Park a couple of season ago, but many of the more than 10,000 or so supporters on the waiting list have been able to buy since because of the much greater capacity at the GAA stadium.

It had been hoped some would continue to be facilitated after the move back across the city, but the association said yesterday that the numbers of “general admission” tickets would remain unchanged at 33,000 and that, as a result, fewer than 100 people would make it off the waiting list when the list of purchasers is updated.

The association has set aside 10,000 tickets for its much trumpeted Vantage ticket scheme – it continues to decline to confirm how many have been sold amid speculation that the figures have been poor – while the other 7,000 will, it says, be accounted for by visiting supporters, dignitaries and a variety of other smaller groupings.

We should have the gov step in and enforce an Italian regime on selling tickets - all tickets general sale, and maximum price of 10 or 20 per ticket.

The ground would be full for every game then.
    The difference with the FAI and most associations is that International matches are the only cash cow that the FAI have.

Comparing us to Italy is not comparing like for like. The Italians have loads of Stadiums available to them for every home game and I'm sure they only have to pay a minimal amount to use those stadiums. The FAI are renting a Stadium at the moment and are in the process of building another one. It would've been built years ago if it hadn't of been for the interference of our beloved Bertie. :rolleyes:
    The likes of the Italians also command more money from TV rights & merchandise, etc.

Now I'm not for one minute defending the FAI but you have to put things into context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why oh why will they not just sell tickets to each game on a general release basis?

Bloody hell, at least they'd actually get genuine fans going, and people who really want to go can go, rather than people having tickets for every match then deciding not to turn up.

The FAI really have gone and pi$$ed of the regular, real fans of our national team.

I'm confused

You are saying that the block bookers, the people who shell out for tickets to every game are not genuine fans ?

You are saying that the best way to get the 'real fans' in is to sell tickets on a general release basis to who ever might want one ?

As I said I'm confused

I never said block bookers are not genuine fans, a lot are, a lot are not.

They are restricting the purchase of tickets to fans who may not have the funds to go and 'block book'.

The FAI only did it this way in the hope of getting tickets sold, regardless of who actually turned up at the match (i.e. tickets would be bought, whether you could go to the match or not).
    The difference with the FAI and most associations is that International matches are the only cash cow that the FAI have.

Comparing us to Italy is not comparing like for like. The Italians have loads of Stadiums available to them for every home game and I'm sure they only have to pay a minimal amount to use those stadiums. The FAI are renting a Stadium at the moment and are in the process of building another one. It would've been built years ago if it hadn't of been for the interference of our beloved Bertie. rolleyes.gif
    The likes of the Italians also command more money from TV rights & merchandise, etc.

Now I'm not for one minute defending the FAI but you have to put things into contex

I'm pretty sure they get a fair amount of money from sponsors and television rights and advertising.

The Italian stadia are owned by the private clubs, who reap the rewards of the gate receipts.

Yes, the Italian FA do command the use of those stadia for the national team, so there is a cost they don't have to pay (such as the rent to GAA), but saying that they have to charge 80 euro for a ticket is far from the truth. They are trying to bleed every penny out of the supporters, and trying to have the stadium full - this rarely works apart form the big games.

And you're unfairly blaming Bertie, when its Harney's fault it never went through, and the FAI's fault for not going with Eircom in the first place.

I never said block bookers are not genuine fans, a lot are, a lot are not.
    So what exactly is a genuine fan? IF you block book and go to all the games what's required to step up to being a genuine fan?

The FAI only did it this way in the hope of getting tickets sold, regardless of who actually turned up at the match (i.e. tickets would be bought, whether you could go to the match or not).
    But is that not the point of business? Making sure you can sell your product?

Fran Rooney brought in that idea of having to buy a couple of tickets together, i.e. A big gate game & p1ssy friendly game. You could argue that it stops people just going to the showcase games and not bothering with the less attractive games. Good business practice too.

I'm pretty sure they get a fair amount of money from sponsors and television rights and advertising.
    But nowhere near what the big FA's would get.

The Italian stadia are owned by the private clubs, who reap the rewards of the gate receipts.

Yes, the Italian FA do command the use of those stadia for the national team, so there is a cost they don't have to pay (such as the rent to GAA), but saying that they have to charge 80 euro for a ticket is far from the truth. They are trying to bleed every penny out of the supporters, and trying to have the stadium full - this rarely works apart form the big games.
    So how do you suggest they generate an income to pay for a new stadium then?

And they will continue to charge high prices until people stop paying those prices. I'm sure they'll end up having to do a u-turn on the premium tickets as people seem to be unwilling to pay the asking price.

And you're unfairly blaming Bertie, when its Harney's fault it never went through, and the FAI's fault for not going with Eircom in the first place.
    Well if he hadn't of got involved in the first place it wouldn't have been messed up, but that's an argument for another day. ;)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So what exactly is a genuine fan?

It's a shifting definition designed to best suit his need for a ticket at any given time.

BaZmO* - you're being pedantic. You know exactly what I mean by the statements I made. It seems you just want to have an argument for some reason.

Stovelid - its not a shifting definition. I happen to be lucky enough to be able to afford to block book tickets for those matches that I can make it to. Howver, I know plenty of people, being friends and relatives who used to always go to games, but don't now because they can't afford to.

Its gotten to a case now, that people who are coming up to Dublin for a match, are having to spend about as much as if they were to go to an away game.

That's bloody ridiculous IMO.

People would go to the crappy games too if the tickets were sold at a reasonable price.

Landsdowne used to be full for nearly every Ireland match back in the day, but now people are saying 'I'm not paying 80 quid to watch a bloody friendly'.

Which is why they ended up going the block book route. You want to go, or can only go to 1 game, yet you're forced to buy a ticket for a game you might not even be able to go to - and that works either way, it may be the crappy game that you can make it to, and not the higher profile match.

I guess the issue is probably the amount of Vanatge Club packages they're trying to punt. Perhaps more block book (and normal per-match) punters will be accommodated if (when) they can't shift these.

To be honest, block bookers do sacrifice more to get to the games and should probably be accommodated first. Like season ticket holders, members and what not getting dibs on tickets for glamour matches in club football.

Obviously I agree that tickets are scandalously overpriced. Half the reason I was thinking of not renewing our subscription anyway.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* - you're being pedantic. You know exactly what I mean by the statements I made. It seems you just want to have an argument for some reason.
    No, it's called a discussion. If you just want to dismiss my comments as me being pedantic well then that's your prerogative but it's hardly conducive to good debate.

Landsdowne used to be full for nearly every Ireland match back in the day, but now people are saying 'I'm not paying 80 quid to watch a bloody friendly'.
    Back when we were winning it was, but it was different times too. And what's this €80 you keep on quoting? Isn't that the highest ticket price on the scale. I've been paying €50 for all the home games. You're being very selective with your prices.

For what it's worth though, I do think that the tickets are priced too high, but I can't really complain if I still pay it each time.

You want to go, or can only go to 1 game, yet you're forced to buy a ticket for a game you might not even be able to go to - and that works either way, it may be the crappy game that you can make it to, and not the higher profile match.
    Ah now come on, you're just being silly now. Nobody is being "forced" to do anything. It's a person's choice to pay for a ticket and the FAI have decided that a condition of doing this is that you have to pay for two games at a time if you want to be guaranteed a ticket for bigger matches.

To suggest that the one game that you might only be able to make is the lesser game is nonsense as you would have absolutely no trouble getting a ticket for one of those games.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm very annoyed by this. I forked out 50e on all of those rubbish friendly matches so that I would remain in the block booking list and know I find out that I have been turfed off it anyway.

Can anyone tell me the point of building a new stadium with a bigger capacity if there won't be any extra tickets for fans? Baffling.

Bazmo - in essence you are.

You used to be able to just apply, or go in and buy individual tickets for games - yes, they still do that on a limited basis when there are left over tickets for matches, but having to buy tickets for 2 or 3 games in one go is fecking ridiculous.

Imagine going in to buy a ticket for AC/DC during the summer, but being told you also had to buy tickets for Beyoncé as a 'block' (or vice versa as the case may be). There's no fecking difference. They're still both concerts, right? You're just beoing forced to buy tickets for a completely separate event, in order to hold a ticket for the match you want / can go to.

I too am one of the mugs that forks out the extortionate ticket prices to go to games, being lucky enough to be able to afford to. But there are a hell of a lot of people that used to go to games, that are being basically left out because they can no longer afford to pay the prices for a ticket, let alone 2 tickets for different games in one go.

I think you would find that more people would go to the less desirable games if the tickets were priced accordingly.

i.e. Cyprus - 30 a ticket, Italy, 60.

They would still make their money, but at least they would give the team a decent chance of playing in front of a capacity crowd for every home game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the point of building a new stadium with a bigger capacity if there won't be any extra tickets for fans? Baffling.

But the capacity is bigger and it is for fans too.

Regardless of what people might think the Vantage Club is actually for fans.

I was in the Hill 16 pub berfore the Cyprus home game last year and people where handing out fliers/info on the Vantage Club to 'fans' of all people.

Yes the prices are very high and the FAI are unfortunate to be selling them in the middle of a recession but they are aimed at actual fans who like to go to games, not to people who like to go to concerts and other events.

If this team gets good and we see an interest like in the early 1990s fans will be kicking themselves for not getting one.

Back in the early 90s when the first 10 year GAA tickets went on sale people though they were over priced and not worth it, within a few years there was a waiting list of them

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Regardless of what people might think the Vantage Club is actually for fans.

Hmm, for a certain type of fans obviously...
    "There are 33,000 millionaires in this country, and there's a database of 80,000 people that we're chasing," FAI chief executive John Delaney said at the launch yesterday.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/fai-reveals-prices-of-corporate-seats-in-new-lansdowne-road-13979051.html

Personally I don't have the €12000 required to buy one of the 'cheap' options.

For the record I just got my PFO yesterday when I collected my tickets from home, and was bloody annoyed that a new stadium with 14,000 (ish) more seats than the old one can only find room for 49 people off the waiting list.

I guess I'll just go back to the old routine of picking up spare tickets for the Andorra/Montenegro/etc games outside Jury's, and watching the decent games in the pub when the 'big game fans' and touts show up en masse.

Advertisement