Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myers on Africa...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The difference is that here (as in all Europe) todays sprogs are tomorrows pension payment creators.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Congratulations Myers, for totally ignoring the European hand in making Africa what it is today.

Another story today: Shell says would fight Chinese grab in Nigeria

So the rest of the world seems happy to get involved in Africa when it suits them. I don't see any Myers articles about these neo-colonial scrambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

mike65 wrote: »
    The difference is that here (as in all Europe) todays sprogs are tomorrows pension payment creators.

translated: todays children's are slaves to the pension pyramid scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone has to pay for the likes of you and me in 20/30/40 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

ei.sdraob wrote: »

but i can not help but see the obvious hypocrisy in his article, with Ireland having highest birth rates in Europe and people getting into fit even when one suggests that having a lot of sprogs is a large responsibility, and its unfair to to be dependant on state and child supplements to feed them

We are below replacement level TFR.

• Advertisement

taconnol wrote: »
    Congratulations Myers, for totally ignoring the European hand in making Africa what it is today.

good point

BUT some may point out that most African colonies became states around the same time Ireland became an official state in 1948 and lost its British ties

We are below replacement level TFR.

are you sure? lets not forget inward migration (which now reversed but nevertheless we do now have more mixed society)

http://www.statusireland.com/statistics/population-statistics-for-ireland/12/Population-Growth-of-Ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It makes individual sense for poor people in under-developed countries to have large families. Myers is applying first-world thinking to third-world problems.

It makes individual sense for poor people in under-developed countries to have large families. Myers is applying first-world thinking to third-world problems.

that is also true and lets not forget religion is having large role in having large families too (as was case in Ireland not too long ago)

but lets take an example of ex USSR

after the collapse of USSR the place got raped into 3rd world living standards

people were simply not making babies (and now there is -10% population growth) because they couldn't bear/afford to bring a child into the world in such misery, crime and poverty

this could probably be attributed to high education standards that existed or the general pragmatism of the population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The proplem is , the population of the world has trebled since the end of the second world war. That sort of growth is not sustainable. The resources on earth are very finite. Our planet has survived for many thousands of years and we cannot go from a world population of 1 billion to 2 billion to 6 billion without expecting difficulties....and suppose its 18 billion in a generation or twos time ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

The Ethiopian famine of the 80s was more due to war than underproduction of food. And Ethiopia has a smaller population than Germany despite being 3 times the size.

And had Myers bothered to spend 5 seconds on Wikipedia, he'd have found
    Ethiopia has one of the fastest growing economies in the world, according to The Economist. ... the fastest-growing non-oil-dependent African nation in 2007 ... It also has the greatest water reserves in Africa, but few irrigation systems in place to use it. Just 1% is used for power production and 1.5% for irrigation ... Ethiopia has a big potential and it is one of the most fertile countries. According to the New York Times, Ethiopia "could easily become the breadbasket for much of Europe if her agriculture were better organized."

So actually Kevin, it's not the case of stupid darkies breeding out of control.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

BUT some may point out that most African colonies became states around the same time Ireland became an official state in 1948 and lost its British ties
    There is a huge difference between Ireland as a post-colonial state and many African countries.

Firstly, we had the traditions, mechanisms and institutions of democracy in place when we gained our independence - most African nations did not.

Secondly, we did not have huge amounts of strategic natural resources that major world powers were hell-bent on gaining/reserving access to.

Edit: jimmy - it isn't the consumption patterns of most Africans that is bringing huge pressure on the world's natural resources but rather it's the consumption patterns in wealthy nations, eg us.

are you sure? lets not forget inward migration (which now reversed but nevertheless we do now have more mixed society)

http://www.statusireland.com/statistics/population-statistics-for-ireland/12/Population-Growth-of-Ireland.html

Our population is increasing because of population momentum and immigration. Population momentum is when a large number of a specific part of the population hit child bearing age at the same time, like the baby boom generation in the US. Ireland is there now. The other reason for the increase is immigration.

The replacement level is 2.1 children per woman. The last figures I have access to have it at 1.85 for Ireland, which in European terms is huge, but still below replacement level long term.

The reason a lot of African countries populations are booming is because birth rates are averaging 5 or 6 children per woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Good article, point well-made. A lot of white guilt out there, not surprised people are trying to talk about colonialism 150-200 years ago rather than what's actually happening today and focus on how the of population growth etc can be turned

Good article, point well-made. A lot of white guilt out there, not surprised people are trying to talk about colonialism 150-200 years ago rather than what's actually happening today and focus on how the of population growth etc can be turned

Er...the decolonisation of most African states happened after WWII..

jimmmy wrote: »
    The proplem is , the population of the world has trebled since the end of the second world war. That sort of growth is not sustainable. The resources on earth are very finite. Our planet has survived for many thousands of years and we cannot go from a world population of 1 billion to 2 billion to 6 billion without expecting difficulties....and suppose its 18 billion in a generation or twos time ?

It's going to hit about 9 billion by 2050, it won't make 18 billion ever, unless something dramatically changes. It should start to level off after 2050. However between now and 2050, that is an extra 2,200 million people to feed, look after etc.

I agree with you on finite resources, I believe we are in for major trouble this century. Either way, nature will find the right level for the number of humans she wants to support long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Er...the decolonisation of most African states happened after WWII..

I wasn't talking about decolonisation. I was talking about people constantly invoking arguments based on colonisation and victimhood in an argument about today's population growth in Africa when the governments can't get their houses in order and there is zero long-term planning for sustainability and population control in the region. Why would there be, when we're always good for a handout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

It's going to hit about 9 billion by 2050, it won't make 18 billion ever, unless something dramatically changes.
    As far as I remember ( I was not alive then but have read about it ) at the end of WW2 world population was 2 billion....now its over 6 billion.
    Thats an extra 4 billion people.... I know us in the west consume more oil etc than poor people , but the poor people in Africa / central America etc do not want to stay poor....many are moving north etc. Poor people in Afghanistan grow poppies unless we pay them enough not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Demography will be one of the defining issues of the 21st Century. Myers is absolutely correct to point out that the African situation is completely unsustainable and downright dangerous.
    Meanwhile in Europe we have the calamitous situation where all of our populations (bar that of Albania, possibly) are dropping, in some cases halving every generation. Italy and Spain, I believe, are on the 1.2 TFR mark, while countries like Estonia are facing a 50% reduction by the 2050s. Of the population left in Europe, an enormous coterie will be middle aged or older, meaning that we are facing a demographic death spiral the likes of which has not been seen before.
    Spare a thought for 'Mother' Russia, though; because there the population is falling by almost 700,000 per year. The country is aborting itself out of existence. If trends continue (and demographers think they probably will), Russia could have a population of under 30 million by the nineties.

So the dichotomy is that population among the most uneducated and superstitious segment of the world's population is growing at a startling pace, while those of the wealthier, educated countries is plummeting furiously. Trouble's brewing.

EDIT: TFR rates worldwide.

I wasn't talking about decolonisation. I was talking about people constantly invoking arguments based on colonisation and victimhood in an argument about today's population growth in Africa when the governments can't get their houses in order and there is zero long-term planning for sustainability and population control in the region. Why would there be, when we're always good for a handout

Look at what is in bold. Are you going to argue that decolonisation has nothing to do with colonisation?

Also, as a country that has been a net recipient of EU handouts that are estimated to reach €41billion by 2013, I find complaints about handouts" risible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I wasn't talking about decolonisation. I was talking about people constantly invoking arguments based on colonisation and victimhood ...

......which you implied happened 150-200 years ago when in fact the process of decolonisation only started post WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

994 wrote: »
    The Ethiopian famine of the 80s was more due to war than underproduction of food. And Ethiopia has a smaller population than Germany despite being 3 times the size.

And had Myers bothered to spend 5 seconds on Wikipedia, he'd have found

So actually Kevin, it's not the case of stupid darkies breeding out of control.

So if they have such a great economy why do we have to feed them?

Gonna agree with Myers. We have to stop rewarding the ridiculous amounts of children Africans tend to have.

jimmmy wrote: »
    As far as I remember ( I was not alive then but have read about it ) at the end of WW2 world population was 2 billion....now its over 6 billion.
    Thats an extra 4 billion people.... I know us in the west consume more oil etc than poor people , but the poor people in Africa / central America etc do not want to stay poor....many are moving north etc. Poor people in Afghanistan grow poppies unless we pay them enough not to.

These are some of the problems. When everyone lives at a western standard of living which they are entitled to imo, it is going to put severe pressure on the planet. Plus like I said add another 2 billion plus in the next 40 years and you can see the potential for major problems.

Furet wrote: »
    Spare a thought for 'Mother' Russia, though; because there the population is falling by almost 700,000 per year. The country is aborting itself out of existence. If trends continue (and demographers think they probably will), Russia could have a population of under 30 million by the nineties.

they are not aborting themselves out of anything, people are choosing not to have kids due to very negative environment

if you ever visit Russia you would understand why its a very hard choice to bring a child into the world in that country

tho things might be changing as Putin is now offering several thousand dollars to each new mother

When everyone lives at a western standard of living which they are entitled to imo, it is going to put severe pressure on the planet.
    While I acknowledge the material necessities that the western standard of living provides for, I don't think holding up our grossly materialistic way of life as the ideal is the best idea.

While I acknowledge the material necessities that the western standard of living provides for, I don't think holding up our grossly materialistic way of life as the ideal is the best idea.

I agree, but it's seems like the rest of the world wants it. It must look attractive if you don't have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

they are not aborting themselves out of anything, people are choosing not to have kids due to very negative environment

if you ever visit Russia you would understand why its a very hard choice to bring a child into the world in that country

tho things might be changing as Putin is now offering several thousand dollars to each new mother

You might not like the way I've put it, but that's effectively what is happening. Russia is a country where most pregnancies end in termination rather than birth. Now, I raised this not to talk about the morality of abortion (I am pro-choice btw), but rather to show the contrast with the Ethiopian situation. Putin has introduced pro-natalist policies, but most demographers feel this is too little, and far too late.
    Dull people know that clever people are cleverer than they are, but they do not know why. The nekulturny Colonel Ralph Peters, a former US military intelligence analyst, is impressed by the tactical success of Russian arms in Georgia, but cannot fathom the end-game to which these tactics contribute. He writes, "The new reality is that a nuclear, cash-rich and energy-blessed Russia doesn't really worry too much whether its long-term future is bleak, given problems with Muslim minorities, poor life-expectancy rates, and a declining population. Instead, in the here and now, it has a window of opportunity to reclaim prestige and weaken its adversaries."

Precisely the opposite is true: like a good chess player, Putin has the end-game in mind as he fights for control of the board in the early stages of the game. Demographics stand at the center of Putin's calculation, and Russians are the principal interest that the Russian Federation has in its so-called near abroad. The desire of a few hundred thousand Abkhazians and South Ossetians to remain in the Russian Federation rather than Georgia may seem trivial, but Moscow is setting a precedent that will apply to tens of millions of prospective citizens of the Federation - most controversially in Ukraine.

Before turning to the demographics of the near abroad, a few observations about Russia's demographic predicament are pertinent. The United Nations publishes population projections for Russia up to 2050, and I have extended these to 2100. If the UN demographers are correct, Russia's adult population will fall from about 90 million today to only 20 million by the end of the century. spengler-russia.gif Russia is the only country where abortions are more numerous than live births, a devastating gauge of national despair.

Under Putin, the Russian government introduced an ambitious natalist program to encourage Russian women to have children. As he warned in his 2006 state of the union address, "You know that our country's population is declining by an average of almost 700,000 people a year. We have raised this issue on many occasions but have for the most part done very little to address it ... First, we need to lower the death rate. Second, we need an effective migration policy. And third, we need to increase the birth rate."

Russia's birth rate has risen slightly during the past several years, perhaps in response to Putin's natalism, but demographers observe that the number of Russian women of childbearing age is about to fall off a cliff. No matter how much the birth rate improves, the sharp fall in the number of prospective mothers will depress the number of births. UN forecasts show the number of spengler-russia-2.gif Russians aged 20-29 falling from 25 million today to only 10 million by 2040.

Russia, in other words, has passed the point of no return in terms of fertility. Although roughly four-fifths of the population of the Russian Federation is considered ethnic Russians, fertility is much higher among the Muslim minorities in Central Asia. Some demographers predict a Muslim majority in Russia by 2040, and by mid-century at the latest.

Part of Russia's response is to encourage migration of Russians left outside the borders of the federation after the collapse of communism in 1991. An estimated 6.5 million Russians from the former Soviet Union now work in Russia as undocumented aliens, and a new law will regularize their status. Only 20,000 Russian "compatriots" living abroad, however, have applied for immigration to the federation under a new law designed to draw Russians back.
    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/JH19Ag04.html

It will be interesting to see if this works. Other countries tried it before and it had a very small effect. Signapore tried it if I remember correctly, it only increased their birthrate by a few hundred. They decided then to concentrate on immigration. Once a birthrate drops it can be hard to get it to increase again, people become accustomed to a certain way of living. You won't find to many Irish women now who want 7 or 8 children, no matter what incentives you offer them.

I agree, but it's seems like the rest of the world wants it. It must look attractive if you don't have it.

Of course it's attractive in the short term like a shiny bauble you see in the shop but once you get it home you realise you didn't really need it, it wasn't as amazing as you thought it was and now what the hell are you going to do with all the packaging.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see if this works. Other countries tried it before and it had a very small effect. Signapore tried it if I remember correctly, it only increased their birthrate by a few hundred. They decided then to concentrate on immigration. Once a birthrate drops it can be hard to get it to increase again, people become accustomed to a certain way of living. You won't find to many Irish women now who want 7 or 8 children, no matter what incentives you offer them.

a few here keeps on assuming that dropping populations are a bad thing

why?

just because theres less slaves to pay your pension is not a valid reason, whats wrong with saving for own pension/retirement?

less people => less pressure on environment

less people => more wealth passed on to the siblings

less people => more resources left for siblings

one of the factors attributing to population slowdown is increased education, people just realize that you can have 1-2 children and give them the best advantage and attention

Advertisement