Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice gift idea for the Xmas - Kilbeggan

Options
  • 30-10-2009 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Kilbeggan are doing a "spirt of Kilbeggan" sampler box . It's 3 60ml vials of spirit - one at 1 month , 1 year and 2 year . Can't call it whiskey as to be officially an Irish whiskey it has to be a minimum of 3 yrs. It's wonderful to see the changing colour of the spirit through the 3 ages . Also the % strength reduces as the spirit matures. It's 20€ but I think it's a great idea and a great present for anybody interested in whiskeys.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GrooveBot

So... they just removed the Kilbeggan at different times or what? Does sound interesting alright

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Yes a nice interesting pressie for the whiskey enthusiast

Here's what they look like ... and come packed in a corigated brown card packaging and a black slip cover with gold writing.

productrecord_2032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

You can buy the tubes individually too.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

How much???

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

€20 for the 3 pack or 6.99each - they are in CelticWhiskeystore in Dublin but the 3 packs are selling out fast

• Advertisement

GrooveBot wrote: »
    So... they just removed the Kilbeggan at different times or what? Does sound interesting alright

They cask the spirit all the time, so they'd just take some from a barrel that's two years old, some from a barrel that's one year old... They wouldn't take some from a barrel at one month, then leave it to mature further, then take more off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

shanel23 wrote: »
    but the 3 packs are selling out fast

I have to wonder how this is. I really wasn't aware that there's people willing to shell out money for a liquid that isn't whiskey for (nearly) the same price
    as bottle of whiskey. Is it that there's only a short number of stocks or there's a significant higher number of "more money than sense" type of people around?

Maybe "sense" is the wrong word there but at the price people are paying for these it'd be about €70 for a 700ml bottle.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I have to wonder how this is. I really wasn't aware that there's people willing to shell out money for a liquid that isn't whiskey for (nearly) the same price
    as bottle of whiskey. Is it that there's only a short number of stocks or there's a significant higher number of "more money than sense" type of people around?

Maybe "sense" is the wrong word there but at the price people are paying for these it'd be about €70 for a 700ml bottle.

Well I can't speak for everyone but as someone with a great interest in whiskey ( drinking and collecting ) - I find the above three pack very interesting and to be a collectable thing. In fact I bought a few of them as Xmas presents for friends who also share an interest in whiskey. I really don't think the reference to 70€ for a bottle is relevant as it's not for drinking but a collectable item. The fact that they are limited to 1000 packs also makes it more collectable.

To be honest I wouldn't fancy tasting the 1 month old one but the 2yr old may be interesting.

Just because it's not whiskey doesn't mean it's not good. A spirit doesn't magically go from being poor on day 365 to being good on day 366. And it's a very interesting way to see how a whiskey progresses. After all the two year old is 24 times older than the one month old.

Furthermore, smaller bottles are generally more expensive than larger ones, per cl. They cost more to package and take more man hours. And...these are cask strength, so incur more duty than most bottles of Irish whiskey available. If you were to take them down to 40%abv yourself, you'd have much more than a 6cl tube.

Kilchoman recently released its first whisky. Sold out in a matter of days and prices soared. Same will happen with St George's Distillery in Norfolk.

Not saying this pack is an investment, but it is very interesting and tells you something about the distillery character before full maturation takes place.

... and the one month old is very nice.

Afterall, many vodkas are just unaged whiskies, stripped of their character through filtration.

• Advertisement

Brockagh wrote: »
    ... and the one month old is very nice.

Afterall, many vodkas are just unaged whiskies, stripped of their character through filtration.

I will just have to try it so :D

For me one the beauties about whiskey is the colour - I just don't like the look of a really pale whiskey but in saying that it's always good to try something different .

I will just have to try it so :D

For me one the beauties about whiskey is the colour - I just don't like the look of a really pale whiskey but in saying that it's always good to try something different .

Pale whiskies can be very nice. It's likely they're bourbon barrel matured.

Many whiskies have spirit caramel added to enhance the colour, for the very reason you mentioned - and because it gives a brand consistency from batch to batch. They don't do this for any of the luxury IDL Irish whiskeys, but they do for some of the cheaper ones. Some are very against this, while others say it makes little difference.

The Knappogues are very pale, but are pretty good, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Well I can't speak for everyone but as someone with a great interest in whiskey ( drinking and collecting ) - I find the above three pack very interesting and to be a collectable thing. In fact I bought a few of them as Xmas presents for friends who also share an interest in whiskey. I really don't think the reference to 70€ for a bottle is relevant as it's not for drinking but a collectable item. The fact that they are limited to 1000 packs also makes it more collectable.

To be honest I wouldn't fancy tasting the 1 month old one but the 2yr old may be interesting.

A collectable? So you've paid 20quid for three vials of liquid that will sit in a press? Nah I'm not getting this at all.

A collectable? So you've paid 20quid for three vials of liquid that will sit in a press? Nah I'm not getting this at all.

My advice to you, then, is not to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Some people collect things they think are interesting, you may not have an interest in this particular item but it does not mean someone else might not like to collect it or even just to get a feel for the taste as the sprirt matures in age.

Each to there own and it doesn't really matter if you dont get it, someone else does.

Absolutely. Some people collect ship in a bottles, but they never get to sail the ocean on the tiny boat.

If Kilbeggan did not mean this to be a collectable, they would have just put it in some very plain miniature bottles.

Advertisement