Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA World Player of the Year

• 30-10-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

They've announced the 23-man shortlist for the award, no surprises really.
    Michael Ballack (Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Diego (Brazil), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Michael Essien (Ghana), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Steven Gerrard (England), Thierry Henry (France), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Kaka (Brazil), Frank Lampard (England), Lucas Leiva (Brazil), Luis Fabiano (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Carles Puyol (Spain), Franck Ribery (France), Wayne Rooney (England), John Terry (England), Fernando Torres (Spain), David Villa (Spain), Xavi (Spain).

Tricky to pick out a winner this year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    They've announced the 23-man shortlist for the award, no surprises really.

Tricky to pick out a winner this year

Not really, i think everyone knows Messi is going to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Where's Kevin Nolan?

Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Nani
    Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Or Lucas. No no. This list isn't right at all.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Or Lucas. No no. This list isn't right at all.

Nani and Lucas joint winners

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Nani and Lucas joint winners
    What about Babel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

How in the name of all that is holy did Lucas get into that shortlist?

Messi FTW.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Lucas...

Hahahahaha.... good one FIFA!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Is it just me or is Zlatan Ibrahimovic the most overated player of all time, i dont think he would stand out if he played astro up in finglas with me and a few of my bill gates

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Aquaman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

baz2009 wrote: »
    How in the name of all that is holy did Lucas get into that shortlist?

Best CM in the premiership...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL, classic stuff Eire-Dearg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jank wrote: »
    Aquaman!

I'd go along with that, he has only played 1147 seconds of football this season but fook me did you see that pass!!! :eek:

I'd be surprised if Messi doesn't win it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Stacksey wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Zlatan Ibrahimovic the most overated player of all time, i dont think he would stand out if he played astro up in finglas with me and a few of my bill gates

Actually explain this to me? If anything, he is underrated, because all everybody harps on about is his poor CL K.O scoring record. Could you list the strikers that you think are better than him?

Genuinely, watch this clip of his 25 goals last year in Serie A, and tell me ANY striker that could score all of those currently playing in world football today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Stacksey wrote: »

He has 7 for 7 at Barca..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eZe^ wrote: »
    Actually explain this to me? If anything, he is underrated, because all everybody harps on about is his poor CL K.O scoring record. Could you list the strikers that you think are better than him?

totally agree. Zlatan is probably the best all round striker in football at the moment. Certain individuals are better than him at specific situations, for example you might say Rooney with his work rate, Eto'o for close control, Berba for link up play (only on those rare occasions when the notion takes him of course) but if you want someone to lead the line nobody is better than Zlatan.

And not to mention he's the worlds best when it comes to back-heels. :D

Honestly in terms of leading the line, Torres and Drogba are his equal if not better.

Plus Torres has an unreal record in big games, his scoring against the big four in the last 18 months has been nothing short of sensational, can't remember the exact ficures but its well over a goal a game.

I'd like to see Ibra produce that big game form to truly cement his status as the best around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

eZe^ wrote: »

Genuinely, watch this clip of his 25 goals last year in Serie A, and tell me ANY striker that could score all of those currently playing in world football today.

Someone's changed his tune.

Messi was obviously the best player in the world last season, I think Buffon is by far the best player this season, has been in flying form but a keeper will never win anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

totally agree. Zlatan is probably the best all round striker in football at the moment. Certain individuals are better than him at specific situations, for example you might say Rooney with his work rate, Eto'o for close control, Berba for link up play (only on those rare occasions when the notion takes him of course) but if you want someone to lead the line nobody is better than Zlatan.

And not to mention he's the worlds best when it comes to back-heels. :D

So Drogba or Torres would not enter the fray?

Must be a United fan given the pure arrogance of your statement :rolleyes:

flahavaj wrote: »
    Honestly in terms of leading the line, Torres and Drogba are his equal if not better.

Plus Torres has an unreal record in big games, his scoring against the big four in the last 18 months has been nothing short of sensational, can't remember the exact ficures but its well over a goal a game.

I'd like to see Ibra produce that big game form to truly cement his status as the best around.

You see, that's completely fair enough. I had a problem with somebody saying 'he's the most overrated player ever', or that 'he's only a youtube footballer' (maybe that's because people never watched him in Serie A?). I disagree about Drogba though, he's rated highly by everyone, but I still think he's only had one truly mesmerizing season.

Also, Ibrahimovic has a good record of scoring against big sides in Serie A, the likes of Milan, Juve, Roma, etc. He has just never been able to translate that to the K.O stages of the CL, quite like Inter in general really.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Someone's changed his tune.

Messi was obviously the best player in the world last season, I think Buffon is by far the best player this season, has been in flying form but a keeper will never win anyway

Ah I've always admired Ibrahimovic's talents, and regularly fought his corner in the Zlatan vs Berbatov debate. I'm just starting to truly fall in love with his play now though, that goal clip is only 1/2 of the story too, the rest of his game is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

So Drogba or Torres would not enter the fray?

3 years ago I would have said that about Drogba. But his finishing has become absolutely appalling of late.

As for Torres, better finisher no doubt. In certain line-ups he'd perform better than Zlatan, but for me Zlatan's a better all rounder. He's has a bit more of a presence off the ball imo.
    Must be a United fan given the pure arrogance of your statement :rolleyes:

Must be a pool fan givin' your 'sensitive disposition' to the topic at hand (see, i can make stupid statements too :rolleyes:)

I'm an Arsenal fan btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Lucas and Ballack? Sorry what? Them being on the list and the likes of Gourcuff being omitted is a joke, even Fletcher or Ireland would be better choices. Not that any of those players would win but Lucas shouldn't be anywhere near that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

How in the name of God is Lucas on that list and not Fabregas?

Frisbee wrote: »
    How in the name of God is Lucas on that list and not Fabregas?

Because Fabregas didn't get an assist over the weekend against Man Utd.. Hahaha, that's actually the biggest joke ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I added Lucas to see people's reactions. He's NOT in the shortlist. :)

Unfortunately Ballack is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

That list is a joke.
    FTW Messi to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Thank God, i tought FIFA lost their minds with Lucas in it.

• Advertisement

LOL, did people actually the Lucas thing was anything other than a blagguard by Eire Dearg? My faith in this forum just died a little. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Jason Byrne. Still bangin' them in at the highest level

Boggles wrote: »
    I'd go along with that, he has only played 1147 seconds of football this season but fook me did you see that pass!!! :eek:

I knew you'd see the light Boggles !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Why in gods name is Ballack on the list? Just.... why? Is there a different ballack out there playin coz the one for Chelsea is mediocre at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Must be a pool fan givin' your 'sensitive disposition' to the topic at hand (see, i can make stupid statements too :rolleyes:)
    No Shel's, which probally explains my 'sensitive disposition' even more so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Well played son. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

You Maniacal genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Messi has to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Tricky to pick out a winner this year???

the opposite is true actually, last year you had a guy who scored 33 goals for his club (including 7 in the champions league) and the winning goal for his country in the european championships and he only came second

this year one player has stood head and shoulders above everyone, if Messi doesn't walk this award then i lol

Advertisement