Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dog LOVES pumpkin

Options
  • 30-10-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Was carving pumpkin last night and some fell on the floor - and Holly went bat$hit for it! So looked it up, and it's supposed to be really good for dogs.

I dunno if it's just her that likes it, or do all dogs like it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

hehe this is why we decided not to get one - we figured the puppy would gobble it up! :D

I've read it's good for firming up poops btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I read that, her poops are pretty firm, so we're expecting a change of colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My dogs love seaweed & blackberries. Amazing to watch them carefully picking the berries to avoid the thorns. We forget that wild dogs including foxes eat quite a lot of fruit & veg. Even huge carnivores like Bears eat fruit & nuts.

The strange one is that Avocados are lethal to Parrots !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

My lot, one in particular, loves anything veggie or fruity - a particular favorite is raw carrot and raw cabbage stalks. Pumpkin is great for getting anal glands to drain (lovely) by bulking out poo. We're making some pumpkin pie (or tart, whatever!) tonight, will see how the dogs like it!

Just something to note - grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs (much like ice cream and chocolate), so steer clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

our GS goes nuts for raw carrots - but i was told they are bad for them as they can't digest the skin or something

the boxer/lab loves grapes, i'm sure he wants me to peel them for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Paul91 wrote: »
    the boxer/lab loves grapes, i'm sure he wants me to peel them for him

Grapes are toxic to dogs.

Exact quantity, I don't know, but a quick search revealed as little as 7 grapes or raisins could be toxic (see here)

I wouldn't risk it personally.

cheers - he only gets one or two though

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

my bichon is a fan of red and yellow peppers she doesnt like the green ones though - anyone know are these ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Our lad loves carrots, never thought it might be harmful, thankfully it isnt, just like a Burger King, OK in moderation :D

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resources/advice/dogs/289-dogs-be-fed-carrots.htm

Sizzler wrote: »
    Our lad loves carrots, never thought it might be harmful, thankfully it isnt, just like a Burger King, OK in moderation :D

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resources/advice/dogs/289-dogs-be-fed-carrots.htm

lifted from the link
    A little left over vegetables from the family meal the night before are an excellent addition to your dog's meal. Vegetables known to be toxic to dogs include onion, garlic, green parts of tomato plants, potato peelings, raisins, grapes, rhubarb leaves, broccoli and pips or stones from many household fruits.

bad doggie owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

We should maybe start a thread with foods that are dangerous for dogs?

I found a site that lists alot of things that dogs shouldn't eat; one being marijuana - apparently it can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting and change the heart-rate!!

kildara wrote: »
    We should maybe start a thread with foods that are dangerous for dogs?

I found a site that lists alot of things that dogs shouldn't eat; one being marijuana - apparently it can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting and change the heart-rate!!

i don't think anything can eat marijuana can it? - think the sticky topic on that would be good - would have to have back up links though i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Talking about berries, Harley came in one day with his muzzle covered in red, I nearly had a heart attack, went flying out expecting to see a dead cat or bird. The poor pup had only discovered the raspberry bush. It's funny to see him stand up on his back legs to get the top ones for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

kildara wrote: »

Ha ha - I heard about this once when a neighbours dog gobbled up 'something' that fell on the floor. Poor thing ran circles around the room for about 30 mins before collapsing and sleeping for a full day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

i don't think anything can eat marijuana can it?

Humans. It can be prescribed for relief of glaucoma and relief of symptoms caused by chemotherapy in cancer patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My Jack Russell loves Peppers and the Lab loves mashed potato :pac:

It's so funny if you put down a plate with peppers and potato on it, they both only eat their own veg!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Boxer lovers, I have had several, will know that they can be a touch greedy. As a young child our first boxer was always stealing food. My older brother decided to teach him a lesson & I was too young to know it was wrong.
    He got some bread & applied all manner of disgusting items like brown sauce, pepper, mustard etc in copious quantities.

The "sandwich" was left on the edge of the table & we hid in the other room. Needless to say the boxer crept in, checked for humans, & grabbed the sandwich. To our amazement he not only loved it but put his paws on the table looking for more !.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Our middle pooch had taken to stealing rasberries and crab apples.

lifted from the link

bad doggie owner
    Who is?

Discodog wrote: »
    My older brother decided to teach him a lesson

Our fella got into the bin one day as a pup, I had just happened to have thrown all manner of very spicy curry powders into it.

You could see where one of the tubes burst in his mouth (fresh powder) and then how he had droooled curry slime on his blanket, then drops to his water bowl.

I know he was probably distressed, and I wouldn't wish it on him, but he has never gone near the bin since. So it was a lesson well learned.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Who is?

et moi

et moi
    Im sure it aint that bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Our guy is such a thief. He seems to really like peanuts though.....in their shells. He's a bit nuts though anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Talking about berries, Harley came in one day with his muzzle covered in red, I nearly had a heart attack, went flying out expecting to see a dead cat or bird. The poor pup had only discovered the raspberry bush. It's funny to see him stand up on his back legs to get the top ones for some reason.

Maybe he'd left his mark on the ones lower down :D

one of my jack russells love sweetcorn...it has the same effect on dogs as it does on humans!

I left a box of marshmallow teacakes on the centre of the kitchen table going to work the other day, where they couldn't be reached (or so I thought). I came home to find one of the kitchen chairs pushed out and the box shredded to bits all over the kitchen and the foil wrappers all over the place. Not a teacake in sight, but two very hyper jack russells! Of course the packet of cream crackers that had also been left on the table wasn't touched. :D

Maybe he'd left his mark on the ones lower down :D
    Ha, I doubt it, the little sissy has only lifted his leg once in his 13 months, and that was to avoid injury from a particurlarly thorny bush. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

My lot, one in particular, loves anything veggie or fruity - a particular favorite is raw carrot and raw cabbage stalks. Pumpkin is great for getting anal glands to drain (lovely) by bulking out poo. We're making some pumpkin pie (or tart, whatever!) tonight, will see how the dogs like it!

Just something to note - grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs (much like ice cream and chocolate), so steer clear.

Didn't know ice cream was toxic for dogs. I've been letting my lot have little bits of ice cream cone on really hot days for years :eek:

Advertisement