Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

linux for a netbook?

• 30-10-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

What distro of linux would you recommend for a netbook. Would mint be suitable or is there a better option? It'll primarily be used for surfing the net. Fast boot and shutdown times would be a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Give it a few minutes and cable will be in to tell you how fantastic mint is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If I had a netbook, I'd be giving this a try at the very least.

Khannie wrote: »
    If I had a netbook, I'd be giving this a try at the very least.

I was thinking of getting a netbook. Would you not try the full version of it on it? Not sure myself, have never had a netbook!

I know you said at the very least!

The netbook remix is virtually the same as the normal distribution except that it comes with a different ui layout by default. If you don't like that UI you can switch to the standard layout with one or two clicks of the mouse.

It's really up to you though. Were you thinking about any netbook in particular?

Samsung NC10 or it's successor.

• Advertisement

That would be the N130/N140 although you can still buy the NC10 if you really wanted. There's a large wiki page about the NC10 on the ubunu community pages and I have worked on the NC20 and N130 myself.

The N130 / N140 will probably require you to use ndiswrapper for wireless and there are a few tweaks that you'll need to get all of the hotkeys working but I'm very happy with the n130 so far. The latest release, karmic, came out yesterday and that's probably your best bet.

Nice one, cheers for the info!

You're welcome, if you get the N130/N140 just reply on the thread or give me a shout. There's a bug where the hotkeys for brightness repeat themselves and the solution requires you to use a newer kernel and adding a small script to the startup process. It's really not that bad and the patch will be in the ubuntu kernel before too long. It just couldn't get in there because the fix happened too late in the process.

Some linkage:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/448885/comments/7

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NC10 (only applies to NC10)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I've heard very good reports about moblin, extremely fast startup etc. Unfortunately I gave up getting it to boot on my own machine (not a netbook anyway...) but anyone I know who did get it up and running is extremely pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Crunchbang should work a treat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement