Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weetabix - Search for a Million

Options
  • 30-10-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

as I was having my breakfast today I was reading the "Search for a Million" conditions on the back of the Weetabix package and I found a strange note:

It is giving the information that citizens of the Republic have to pass a
    "Skill Test" bevore they can entering the game! :eek:
    Everyone else from the rest of Britain, including of course Northern Ireland, don't have to do a skill test.

https://www.weetabixonemillion.com/Pages/Terms.aspx

Now, is there a good explanation for this or I am right with my feeling of a slightly unjust thing happening there? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Gaudeamus!

Ps: I hope it was ok to post this issue in this sector of the board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Think its the right place.

One of the oddest things I have read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Is it because of different competition rules in Ireland? Maybe it's classed as gambling if there's no "skill" element?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

If you choose ROI it asks you a question

'What is the main ingredient of weetabix?'

The UK option does not ask you this.
    I'm more baffled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

I may be wrong but it may be something to do with different gambling or gaming laws here than in the UK. So, for example on Winning Streak and those similar Lottery shows the contestants have to play those stupid games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Hah! Those wiley northerners don't even have to buy the packet! NPN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

AFAIK it has to be do with gaming rules in Ireland. I'm not sure of the relevant legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ah, the good auld Paddy-Test :rolleyes:

Its designed to stop us from winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yup, it's to do with with our gambling laws. Technically, if any competition requires nothing but luck, it's classed as gambling, whereas, even if the most basic skill/knowledge is required, then it's classed as a competition. Think about all those other competitions on the back of cereal boxes or phone-in competitions on The Den etc where the question would always be so easy (with Zig/Zag/Dustin practically telling you the answer).

Anyway, you can look at it another way. Instead of discriminating against the Republic, they had to remove the skill element for British competitors, because they wouldn't have been able to pass it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes the gambling law no doubt. The bidding fee scheme sites are a clever loophole around gambling too, seemingly an auction but really gambling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidding_fee_scheme

I think there have been problems in the past with kids sweets which were techinically gambling, like "buy a bag of crisps and be in with a chance to win a playstation", that is in effect like selling a lottery ticket to under 18's and throwing the crisps in free with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Gaudeamus wrote: »
    Everyone else from the rest of Britain, including of course Northern Ireland, don't have to do a skill test.

just be thankful it wasn't a geography or politics question they asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭musky

and if we win we will be classified as British

if we don't - dumb paddys.:D

is the answer MSG ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

eman66 wrote: »
    Is it because of different competition rules in Ireland? Maybe it's classed as gambling if there's no "skill" element?
    That's precisely it. And yes, that's why they ask that silly question on the Late Late Show competitions when they ring the person. There doesn't have to be that much "skill" (and even that's loosely regarded), just more than none.

Gaming & Lotteries Act 1956 at a guess, it was never much of an interest of mine but I assume that's the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gaudeamus

Ah alright, thank you all! :)

Advertisement