Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path is too deep?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Trying to transfer files to an external hard drive and "path is too deep" keeps coming up.

What does this mean and how do I get around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

It means you are trying to transfer a folder in a folder in another folder etc...

Basically sometimes a Hard drive won't recognise a file that is too far buried in a subfolder.

Ie: C:\documents\media\music\Rock\90's\pearljam\ten

Try moving the album Ten to
    C:\documents\Pearljam\Ten.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try shortening the name of the folder that you're copying the files to.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Will try that

Cheers guys

Tried the above - no joy.

Anyway, the folders I am transferring from and to are the same I always use (download movies and games to same folder each on PC and transfer to same folder each time on my passport) so I don't know why its happening.

Deleted a small file I had transferred previously and tried to transfer again but same message came up. Copy time goes up to ca. 100mins and then message appears. Have done usual scans and all seems OK.

Help:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is two threads of thought on this

A: This error message can come from a failing hard disk drive (or an error on the drive your going TO). Run the manufacturer’s diagnostic program on the drive. Of course, if you have a Toshiba drive, you will not find their diagnostic program. I recommend SpinRite. This error message appears to spawn when the drive electronic’s times out trying to read data but gives the OS the wrong signal.

or

B: Path 254 characters or longer (including file name, that is). More than 10 spaces in a file path (back in Windoze 95 days).

For testing reasons alone, will it copy to a larger enough USB stick?

• Advertisement

Thought of the USB thing as well. Just manage to transfer a film to it but it took a long time (5mins compared to usual 30 seconds)

Try copying the file(s) you want moved to a (new) folder on the root of "C" and then try move that (cut-paste) to a similar location on the external drive.

Ran the diagnostic and the external failed. Its running an extended scan now but for some reason is also checking the internal drive, (even though it wasn't selected) so it could be a while. Don't know if it will identify anything specific that I can act on. Will have to wait and see I suppose.

If the drive is looking like failing, copy your stuff off it as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is it formatted with NTFS?

If it's formatted with FAT32 it will only allow a ax of 8 levels deep folderwise
    NTFS doesn't have this limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I sometimes get the same message when trying to copy files to a USB stick. The path isn't too deep. When I disconnect my O2 USB modem, the transfer works fine. The modem is on 2 extensions (about 2 meters), so it's probably hardware related (modem drawing too much current perhaps, causing problems with other USB ports?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rejohn

try "Long Path Tool" program

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

rejohn wrote: »
    try "Long Path Tool" program

Err....that thread is nearly 7 years old :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement