Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build for gaming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Thanks all for your inputs. I will be putting together two draft one of AMD machine and one of Intel and tell him to decide. I will tell him all the good things about AMD though. Lets hope he is happy with one the of machines.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Here's an example of a budget AMD machine including 19" monitor for €550 shipped:

HWVS011109.png

Dead-end build how? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Solitaire wrote: »
    Here's an example of a budget AMD machine including 19" monitor for €550 shipped:

HWVS011109.png

Dead-end build how? :P

Wouldnt call it a dead-end build. But it does show how tight the budget is, even with what uve listed above at 550eur (which is missing kb/mouse and not sure if he has the OS sorted), uve cut things to the near bone and only just got in under budget from our german friends :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I think sometimes builders and upgraders don't understand that some people are happy with something under an i5..

For us we'll pay hundreds and hundreds just to get an extra 20% performance.. but for a budget user the PC above will be comparatively a much larger improvement over his current setup. I've seen people play warcraft night after night on a radeon x1300 on a slow cpu, its just woeful. 700 to 800 euros is sufficient to get them a machine (including OS and monitor) that will triple their fps, speed everything up and be able to play most modern games at nice FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

jonny72 wrote: »
    For us we'll pay hundreds and hundreds just to get an extra 20% performance..

That's optimistic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

I think sometimes builders and upgraders don't understand that some people are happy with something under an i5..

For us we'll pay hundreds and hundreds just to get an extra 20% performance.. but for a budget user the PC above will be comparatively a much larger improvement over his current setup. I've seen people play warcraft night after night on a radeon x1300 on a slow cpu, its just woeful. 700 to 800 euros is sufficient to get them a machine (including OS and monitor) that will triple their fps, speed everything up and be able to play most modern games at nice FPS.

That is very true.

With regards to the OP (/OP's mate), his machine looks just shy of half a decade old. With that in mind, not shaving the new build down to 500eur means a bit more lastability... the above AMD build is about doable, Id suggest going "wild" and springing for a 22'' tho ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Lies and Heresy! Anything under an i5 is a dead end waste of money! :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

swirlser wrote: »
    That is very true.

the above AMD build is about doable, Id suggest going "wild" and springing for a 22'' tho ;)

+1. I was just keeping the core build under €550 for the example. Any decent-sized monitor under 1080p will do.

As for the core build: a fast, triple-core CPU is almost as good as a fast dualie on 1/2-thread apps and almost as good as a mid-speed quad on multithreaded apps. The trick is that they don't go down like a lead balloon when you hit them with the "other" type of app threading. And yeah, its cheap ;) Fast CL5 DDR2 isn't far behind 1333/1600MHz DDR3 owing to the severe latency issues (CL9!) and is still a bit cheaper for the moment. And the HD4770 is fine under 1080p while gobbling up all of about 50W of juice. And the mobo was a homage to Leman and his antics ;)
    Leman_Russ wrote:
    Lies and Heresy! Anything under an i5 is a dead end waste of money!

*smacks Leman over the head* :P

Advertisement