Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West of Ireland Suggestions

Options
  • 30-10-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

After a few weekends at home looking after the kids, my wife has taken pity on me (plus probably wants me out from under her feet) and has told me to head off for a weekend in November.

Just looking for suggestions for a couple of days walking - thinking of heading West. Obviously, weather and shortening days will be a factor so thinking of taking in some mountains that are relatively straightforward. Haven't been up Croagh Patrick yet and while it's not for everyone, it's a mountain I'd like to climb given it's somewhat iconic status. Thinking of climbing Nephin as well so that's one day taken care of.

Anyone any other suggestions in the area for my second day. Wrong time of year for camping out so will probably stay in Westport..

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

did diamond hill in national park last week, its a waymarked path takes about two hours, great views if day is clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Plenty of options in the Sheefrys.

Another would be walking the ridges along either side of Lough NaFooey.
    Would not be on any Purists List of classic walks but for the views alone they are worth it. The complete circuit makes up the Joyce Country Challenge Walk which I did in July.
    You will get the route on http://www.lakedistricthwc.com under the heading JCC

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

any of the mounains around achill could be done in a day no bother. I was also going to recommend the sheefrey's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Mickeroo wrote: »
    any of the mounains around achill could be done in a day no bother. I was also going to recommend the sheefrey's too.

Cheers for that. We have another addition to our party who hasn't walked before so we're just going to do Croagh Patrick on Saturday and take our time on it - thinking of staying over in Achill Saturday night and then I might take an early start and tackle Slievemore or Croaghaun on my own Sunday morning. Anyone been up either before, I believe Croaghaun is to be avoided if it's breezy or misty - just wondering what kind of a walk it is up Slievemore?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

paulocon wrote: »
    Cheers for that. We have another addition to our party who hasn't walked before so we're just going to do Croagh Patrick on Saturday and take our time on it - thinking of staying over in Achill Saturday night and then I might take an early start and tackle Slievemore or Croaghaun on my own Sunday morning. Anyone been up either before, I believe Croaghaun is to be avoided if it's breezy or misty - just wondering what kind of a walk it is up Slievemore?

If you start from doogort you can follow a nice narrow ridge to the top of slievmore. If it's very windy you can go along the bottom of the cliffs below the ridge,then from the top just head west down the other ridge or alternatively back down the way you came. You could do it starting from the deserted village and climb the western sloping ridge. With Croaghaun you can drive up to Lough Accorymore,which shaves about 200m from the ascent,just watch out for the cliffs when you get to the top :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

hey, you are staying in westport. that will be enough fun anyway!. love that town. really nice swimming pool there. some nice wooded areas around there. a trip out to clair island is also very nice. also reasonably local to westport is bellmullet/blacksod. nice walk up by erris head i think its called.

as mentioned, achill is grade A for walking. i just cant stand the pubs/shops there. total rip-off some of them. was there during summer. one place tried to charge 3.20 for a cup of tea! lol.

Thanks for the feedback. Looking like Croagh Partick on the Saturday and Slievemore ealry Sunday prior to heading back home to the North-East. Got a decent price on a place to Stay in Keel on Achill Island so will stay there Saturday night.

Mickeroo, thanks for the advice on Slievemore. We'll more than likely do that and leave Croaghaun for next summer when we can enjoy the views!

I would do a car split on Sliabh Mór, park one car in the big car park of the pub, in Doogort,the walk starts a few minutes further along the road, park the other beside the graveyard, near the deserted village,
    it's a bit of a trudge back along the road otherwise,

I would do a car split on Sliabh Mór, park one car in the big car park of the pub, in Doogort,the walk starts a few minutes further along the road, park the other beside the graveyard, near the deserted village,
    it's a bit of a trudge back along the road otherwise,

Good advice but unfortunately not an option as 3 of us travelling in one car. Having been near blown off Slievenamon today, I'll probably be quite thankful of the walk back along the road after coming down off Slievemore if the conditions are similar!!!

Advertisement