Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Acting Weird

Options
  • 30-10-2009 2:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently I've noticed my cat acting strange in the house. I live in a bungalow with bedrooms at one end connected by a hall to the living/kitchen area. What I've noticed is that I'll hear the cat sprinting up the hall waiting and then sprinting back down. If I go out to the hall it'll see me and sprint towards the bedrooms and hide. Today I decided that I'd let it sprint towards the living room and then close all the bedrooms door. So it got trapped at one end of the house and I tried to see what was up but it looked quite scared of me and ran to the living room.
    Once in the living room it was totally back to normal. It's a really tame cat it never has a problem with me or the rest of the family ever. I've also ruled out it chasing mice or anything as I've never found anything in the house and she's quite good at catching mice outside.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Sounds like a classic case of elevenses. Does it generally happen in the evening an hour or so before bedtime? Also called the night crazies. Google is your friend but basically its something to do with a build up of energy that they need to get rid of. Just be grateful its not happening at 3am in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Could your cat be hearing fireworks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It happened about an hour ago and the cat had been sleeping a few hours beforehand.

Definitely no fireworks involved.

Google suggests she's just being playful.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Any chance of mice in the walls? (hidden ninja mice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

The weather is getting worse and they don't like to go out as much, so run off their energy a bit in the house. My late cat used to get the zoomies after breakfast regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

funny half hour :D Our cat used to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Every one of my cats throughout the years have done this. Totally normal and VERY entertaining to watch. Especially when my little "Allie" does a Trinity Matrix style jump and turn at the top of the banisters after running up the stairs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Its very normal for cats to do this. Mine do this every day, up and down the stairs and then hide on me.

Try hiding but let the cat see you peeping out, if your cats like mine he will chase you! :D

Also get youself a laser pen, best cat toy around!

th_CIMG0775.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

My cats do this too! I just wish they wouldn't do it at 5am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Sounds like your cat is just playing and using up energy. My 14 year old cat does this too, we'd be sitting downstairs and suddenly we'd hear the cat racing around the bedrooms upstairs and when we check it out theres nothing there, just Cathy chasing rainbows :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Totally normal! Once or twice a day our cat just goes mental running around the apartment and leaping on my feet if I even twitch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

my cats also do this! Anyone know where to buy a laser pen out of curiosity? One of the cats has managed to sabotage mine finally.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

October wrote: »
    My cats do this too! I just wish they wouldn't do it at 5am!!

Thankfully ours have stopped doing that since it started getting brighter later.
    During the summer our two would go mental and knock lumps out of each other on the bed at 4am or 4.30am once it started getting a bit bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

sillymoo wrote: »
    my cats also do this! Anyone know where to buy a laser pen out of curiosity? One of the cats has managed to sabotage mine finally.......

ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My mam always said the cat was getting "the scitters"

Don't know where that name came from but cats always do this, it can give you an awful fright if there is suddenly a clatter going down the hardwood floor hallway in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

:D I've had such a laugh at some of these posts. Remind me so much of my three.

I live in an apartment over a shop. One day I got home only to be confronted by a very worried shop owner. They told that there must have been a break in upstairs as they heard a lot of very loud activity going on. They had hoped it was us but it obviously wasn't as we'd just come in. We investigated but found nothing out of place, only three very contented cats sleeping happily in their beds. Needless to say we figured out after a few weeks that the sounds they heard were made by 3 crazy cats going mental up and down the hallway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

My cat does this too. She runs up and down the stairs, chases dust bunnies, coins, anything. Goes mental! Doesn't like anyone to interract. We just leave her go and once she's burned up the energy she sits on the couch for a cuddle and some TV!

She's mental in general though, so this seems to be one thing normal she does! :)

Advertisement