Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Television work in Australia?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

A friend of mine is emmigrating to Australia and wants to bring her flatscreen Samsung TV. Samsung told her it would work in oz but they cant guarantee it will accept the Australian digital signal. Does anyone know if its worthwhile bringing it?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Cant image its worth shipping an LCD all the way round the world. You can buy very good new TVs for under 500EUR. Shipping would surely be at least 200eur. Flog it and buy again would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 grainneg

Its all being paid for for them so thats why they are considering bringing it! Thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Australia uses pal and 220v .

the same as us.

Thanks, And do you know if the digital tv will work over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

they also have the same digital terrestrial system as the UK.
    DVB-T

the telly should work fine assuming you are talking about a built in tuner in your tv.

The sat digital signal is universal. It will be fine.

your telly will work in Oz and there will be no probs with digital. However, there are better experts than me.

read somewhere something about number of lines.
    So if anybody else knows..........

• Advertisement

Great help, thanks a million, any more advice also welcomed!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Watanabe

Since Australia uses pal and 220v, it should work, but not too sure about digital TV. It probably would work, but if it doesn't a simple converter box should do the job, only worth bringing if you don't pay the shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Not sure if Australia still uses analouge TV. Their standard is/was PAL-B as opposed to PAL-I

The majority of LCD sets shouldnt have a problem with this but if they cant support PAL-B youll have no sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ratbu

have a quick look at the specs on the manual.if it says multi-system then it should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

If it is PAL multistandard then for analogue it should be fine. Australia uses PAL B for VHF and UHF.

If it has a built-in DVB-T tuner it might be a little bit more complicated - this is because unlike in Europe, the Australians use 7MHz bandwidth blocks for their UHF channels rather than 8MHz as used in Europe. If the DVB-T tuner has an option for "Australia" in the menu for location then you should be OK, otherwise all bets are off. In any case even if it can't you could easily pick up a STB over there to work with the TV (they have HD free-to-air terrestrial there.

As for the shipping issue, electronic goods in Australia are not as cheap as they are here in general, quite tricky to get yourself a bargain. If someone else is paying for it, may as well go for it. Of course once it's in Australia you'll need a different plug for the sockets there (I wouldn't recommend converter plugs for the long-term) but it should be easy enough to go to a Jaycar or Dick Smith store and get the right lead for $5-10.

• Advertisement
Advertisement