Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union accounts

Options
  • 30-10-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering is it possible to have two credit union accounts with 2 different branches???

I have my first one with a good few years now, just have about 500euro sitting in it. But I was wondering if I could open a new account in a different branch?

Please don't ask why I want a second account, I have my reasons

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Macca07 wrote: »
    I was just wondering is it possible to have two credit union accounts with 2 different branches???

I have my first one with a good few years now, just have about 500euro sitting in it. But I was wondering if I could open a new account in a different branch?

Please don't ask why I want a second account, I have my reasons
    I think you have to deal with the credit union in the area you reside.
    There is no overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I think you have to deal with the credit union in the area you reside.
    There is no overlap.

Theoretically correct but not very enforceable.... if i change address i wont be asked to change CU... also I am part of a work CU and could also join one in my area.

They work on the basis of area or only joining one but can set up two i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Yes
    You can be a MEMBER of 3 credit unions, to become a member you must be in what they call a common bond, usualy living or working in the area, some credit unions are restricted to working ie TUI or ASTI and the Guards etc

Enquire at the Credit Union in question, new leglistation allows for one to continue to be a member even if you have changed addesses (u to a certain % of membership)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Not sure about 3, but I do know for definite that you can be a member of a credit union in the area you live and also in the area you work.
    However you will be required to provide proof that you have some 'valid interest' in the area, i.e. that you work or live there.

If you are a member of a CU and you move out of the area or stop working in the area it is expected that you move the account to your new area, but I don't know if thats enforced or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To be honest I don't think they check. I had a CU account in Limerick for years (where I'm from), I opened another when I moved to Roscommon. It didn't even occur to me at the time that I couldn't have two. I still had some stuff coming to my home address and some stuff coming to my Roscommon address. Actually now that I think about it, I had a car loan from the Limerick one and had given my work details, earnings etc for my Roscommon job so it was obvious that I wasn't living in the area anymore and I never had any trouble with it.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

To be honest I don't think they check. I had a CU account in Limerick for years (where I'm from), I opened another when I moved to Roscommon. It didn't even occur to me at the time that I couldn't have two. I still had some stuff coming to my home address and some stuff coming to my Roscommon address. Actually now that I think about it, I had a car loan from the Limerick one and had given my work details, earnings etc for my Roscommon job so it was obvious that I wasn't living in the area anymore and I never had any trouble with it.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's possible.

i think that a long time ago
    i lived in sligo and had a loan at the credit union there
    3 years ago i moved to mayo and had opened a new acc at the credit union
    asked last month for a loan for a new kitchen but didnt get anything
    they told me u have a loan running in sligo
    if thats paid off u can come back to talk again
    2 weeks ago i got a message from the sligo one there is enough money in your acc to pay off the rest of the loan and a bit more left
    will u come over for closing ur account
    u don t live here anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i think that a long time ago
    i lived in sligo and had a loan at the credit union there
    3 years ago i moved to mayo and had opened a new acc at the credit union
    asked last month for a loan for a new kitchen but didnt get anything
    they told me u have a loan running in sligo
    if thats paid off u can come back to talk again
    2 weeks ago i got a message from the sligo one there is enough money in your acc to pay off the rest of the loan and a bit more left
    will u come over for closing ur account
    u don t live here anymore

It's three years ago at the most. Also not all Credit Unions are linked to the ICB, both of your credit union's must be so they were able to find out you had a loan with another credit union. Neither of mine are.

Advertisement