Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mothers and Babies

• 30-10-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

4058404854_59c16bd065.jpg

The 1st proper street photo I think I have ever taken...

Totally unposed and im amazed its in focus becuase bronicas have manual focus.

Keep looking to notice little things.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

dazftw wrote: »
    4058404854_59c16bd065.jpg

The 1st proper street photo I think I have ever taken...

Totally unposed and im amazed its in focus becuase bronicas have manual focus.

Keep looking to notice little things.
    Excellent & did they mind you taking the photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

They didnt even know... had the camera at my waist becuase it has a "waist level viewfinder"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

They didnt even know... had the camera at my waist becuase it has a "waist level viewfinder"

By the looks of them you're lucky they didn't discover what you were doing :D Did the tremendously loud sound of the mirror not give the game away ? I've frightened away small animals with my bronnie :)

By the looks of them you're lucky they didn't discover what you were doing :D Did the tremendously loud sound of the mirror not give the game away ? I've frightened away small animals with my bronnie :)

Im alive so I don't think they did :D I took this weeks ago and had forgot about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Love the facial expression on the "lady" to the left. Great capture. It would be even better if the woman on the right didn't have such a comical look about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

its posted to small to see any hidden messages. Any chance of a larger one?

The messages aren't very hidden.. Ive noticed 3 things about this..
    I won't say what they are..

4058404854_402f3bee40_o.jpg

Nope - you've got me. I see two women with their children.

Maybe its cause im going through college and they make you pick up on the more "real life" sort of stuff..

I noticed the woman in the background whos older maybe is looking at these women as bad mothers(by there look) maybe shes a mother herself?

The two kids arent looking forward but away as if to say we dont care or have no interest

The womens facial expressions says alot as well

I dunno... :rolleyes:

I noticed the woman in the background whos older maybe is looking at these women as bad mothers(by there look) maybe shes a mother herself?

Or maybe you're allowing your preconceptions about the two women to colour YOUR reading of the shot, Hmmmmmm ?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

..she looks as if she'd beat the crap out of you :)

Or maybe you're allowing your preconceptions about the two women to colour YOUR reading of the shot, Hmmmmmm ?? :)

Im speaking on behalf of the woman in the background.. im sure there lovely young ladies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

little boy's attention is diverted so little girl turned her head in a humf kinda way.

thats what i see lol.

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Maybe its cause im going through college and they make you pick up on the more "real life" sort of stuff..

The two kids arent looking forward but away as if to say we dont care or have no interest

The woman in the background has noticed that there is a camera, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Anouilh wrote: »
    The woman in the background has noticed that there is a camera, I think.
    Yep that's what I was about to reply with.
    The Woman doesn't even look like a Mother either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

dudara wrote: »
    Love the facial expression on the "lady" to the left. Great capture. It would be even better if the woman on the right didn't have such a comical look about her.

I'm struggling to think why there is any reason you'd put this in quotes...

A)You're a moderator you should set a good example..
    B)The words Lady in quotes make me think straight away that you're saying she isn't...Why?
    C)We're all photographers on here,If the Lady on the left of the photo is told about her photo being on here,First I'm sure she won't be happy but will probably get over it,If she sees a comment like yours,Her view towards this site and photographers on the street will instantly drop.

And chances are when she next sees someone with a camera near her on the street it won't be the most nicest of situations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

just a general observation ricky;

a) dudara doesn't moderate photography so that's of zero overall relevance.

in b) and c) - perhaps you would not have suspected the worst. perhaps dudara is paying the subject a complement referring to her as a lady - all depending on your perspective.

sometimes it is our own perspectives which provide for misinterpretation and misunderstanding.

all i'm saying is that we don't have enough context to make the assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Yep that's what I was about to reply with.
    The Woman doesn't even look like a Mother either.

What does a mother look like?
    here's one end of the spectrum
    jamie%20lynn-%20young%20moms-spears.jpg

Here's another

oldest-mother.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    just a general observation ricky;

a) dudara doesn't moderate photography so that's of zero overall relevance.

in b) and c) - perhaps you would not have suspected the worst. perhaps dudara is paying the subject a complement referring to her as a lady - all depending on your perspective.

sometimes it is our own perspectives which provide for misinterpretation and misunderstanding.

all i'm saying is that we don't have enough context to make the assumption.

I'm sorry for replying to you,But in my view,A mod is someone who's shown they stick to rules and therefore,Throughout this site should stick to rules and set good examples on every forum they post in...

I fail to see how putting something in quotes is a complement?"If he said the lady on the left" that would be fine...

But I read this as two totally different things,Take this for example

Ancatdubh you're such a great "mod"
    Ancatdubh you're such a great mod

See where I'm coming from?

Again sorry for replying to you,Just I'd like to clear up why I feel his post isn't nice,And you just so happened to be the first person to quote me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

The messages aren't very hidden.. Ive noticed 3 things about this..
    I won't say what they are..

4058404854_402f3bee40_o.jpg

Hmmmmmm...... Guessing time......

1) The female on the left is about to spit out the wasp she is chewing.

2) The female behind is actually a detective and is drawing her gun 'cos she's spotted a bank robbery going on across the street....

3) The female on the right is whispering to the female on the left that there is a dodgy geezer with a camera with a waist level viewfinder taking their pic, so she looks down at the camera and decides not to spit the wasp just yet.

Was I close? :pac:

derailed.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Does the baby on the right have a cigarette in her hand :eek: or is that just my imagination playing havoc with me....

DutchGuy wrote: »
    Does the baby on the right have a cigarette in her hand :eek: or is that just my imagination playing havoc with me....

Its a lollipop! Maybe they are good mothers after all :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's a great pic Daz, loads of looks going on.

Pity about the comments regarding the girls with the prams. It's really easy to come out looking bad in photos and that goes for posed ones too regardless of social class. All it takes is a split second to turn smile to a scowl. They are what they are...people in a photo. To catch those compromising looks makes a pic rather than say anything in a important social context...surely in photography it's all about the pic?

Medium format looks great on the street. Most street stuff I'd see is normally 35mm...it's more discreet I suppose but the medium format looks great, fair play to you...and to get a good photo out of it too. Good skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Maybe smoking the wacky baccy?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I love un-posed pictures but in all fairness, shouldn't you have the consent of the people in the photo to post it on the internet? I'd be p*ssed if I found out someone had been taking sneaky pictures of me & my child without my permission.

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I love un-posed pictures but in all fairness, shouldn't you have the consent of the people in the photo to post it on the internet? I'd be p*ssed if I found out someone had been taking sneaky pictures of me & my child without my permission.

I think we've been down this well trodden conversational path on many acrimonious occasions .

I do agree with you in a way, I should have but if I did I doubt I would have had the oppertunity to post this.

Theres plenty of photographers on here that do shoot alot of street photography with random strangers in the photos and post them up here. If they had asked I don't think we would have seen alot of there great photos. I think if everyone shared this view there wouldn't be such a thing a street photography. I think its the simple fact that my photo maybe a bit socially unacceptable compared to the rest. This is in your face up close and personal.

Take Joel Meyerowitz for example he explains it nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I do agree with you in a way, I should have but if I did I doubt I would have had the oppertunity to post this.

Theres plenty of photographers on here that do shoot alot of street photography with random strangers in the photos and post them up here. If they had asked I don't think we would have seen alot of there great photos. I think if everyone shared this view there wouldn't be such a thing a street photography. I think its the simple fact that my photo maybe a bit socially unacceptable compared to the rest. This is in your face up close and personal.

I like the photo a lot and the ladies look as if they would be pleased to be discussed in this thread.
    I can't read minds, so it's hard to be certain of this.

I would be delighted if you could take time to post the photo again to the "Combing the Streets" thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564779

That way it will not get lost once this thread loses momentum.

I can often judge by a person's way of walking whether or not they would be comfortable with having their photo taken by a stranger.
    Posting to the internet is very acceptable and I like to think that somewhere somebody has posted photos of me on the Net.

It adds to the sense of mystery that hangs around the medium.

I will indeed :)

Advertisement