Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somali man, 112, weds 17 yr old girl

• 30-10-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Hundreds of people have attended a wedding in central Somalia between a man who says he is 112 years old, and his teenage wife.

Ahmed Muhamed Dore - who already has 13 children by five wives - said he would like to have more with his new wife, Safia Abdulleh, who is 17 years old.

"Today God helped me realise my dream," Mr Dore said, after the wedding in the region of Galguduud.

The bride's family said she was "happy with her new husband".

Mr Dore said he and his bride - who is young enough to be his great-great-grand-daughter - were from the same village in Somalia and that he had waited for her to grow up to propose.

"I didn't force her, but used my experience to convince her of my love; and then we agreed to marry," the groom said.

Link

Fair play

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Conor108 wrote: »
    Link

Fair play
    Can't be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

What happened to half you're age plus 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The childrens allowance must be decent in Somalia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

He's getting more than I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Ah, she looks pretty rough in that photo in fairness. Beggars can't be choosers like. Her family probably thought they'd never get rid of her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

He must have an awesome amount of road frontage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Minger..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I bet he had a thread in PI before asking if the age difference was ok lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

She doesn't look exactly thrilled to be there does she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

She's obviously a gold digger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

"I didn't force her, but used my experience to convince her of my love; and then we agreed to marry,"

Now there is a euphemism to put all the others to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

She's obviously a gold digger.
    Or maybe just a grave digger considering his age!

Although the important thing to take from that article is, "a man who says he is 112 years old"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Somali man, '112', weds girl, 17

Why is 112 in quotes?

Fcuking idiot journalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

its all money money money...in a richs mans world ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"Today God helped me realise my dream," Mr Dore said.

They say that God moves in mysterious ways, but not that feckin mysterious.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

mathie wrote: »

Why is 112 in quotes?

Because he's only claiming to be that age, it hasn't been actually confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

mathie wrote: »

Why is 112 in quotes?

Coz his birth certificate was written on goat skin! Hardly definitive proof that that is his age

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

thats disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Nice! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The BBC's Mohammed Olad Hassan in Mogadishu says the marriage, in the town of Guriceel, is being described by Somali historians as the first of its kind in the Horn of Africa nation for more than a century.

Horn of Africa indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Somalia's the "Royston Vasey" of Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Under that burkha could be a 17 year old boy,
    That 112 year old dude wouldn't be able to tell the difference and the guys family gots themselves a dowry. Party time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

"I didn't force her, but used my experience to convince her of my love; and then we agreed to marry,"

That's Somali for rape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

I'd say she was nice in her day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Is it just me or does anyone else think he looks like a charred corpse ? :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's Somali for rape.

'twould be called "grooming" over here, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

FFS

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

Can he still get it up at that age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

That guy is 112? He dosen't look a day over 70. Maybe he lied about his age in order to get the 17 year old into bed. Maybe she has a fetish for old people, you know the older the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

SV wrote: »
    Muslims.
    Enough said.

Age of consent here is 17 (you can apparently get married at 16 with the parents permission), so it could happen here as well. So, I take it you will be protesting outside the Dail tomorrow, to get the law changed so this can't happen here either, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What happened to half you're age plus 7?
    In Muslim country's you half your age, then add 7 and that's the price you pay your neighbour for their daughter. The more you pay the younger the daughter you can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

What difference does a hundred years make when you're in love? C'mon people, where's the romance?!!:rolleyes::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

hithere10 wrote: »
    Can he still get it up at that age

Unofficial reports suggest he is on a permanent raging horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

I'd say it won't last long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

100 years and counting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

at the age of 100 i will retire my penis.

I will donate it to medical research

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Niiiiice :cool:

Oh lol.
    I know it could happen here but I also know that if it was to happen it'd be muslims that were doing it.
    It's not a socially acceptable thing to do so naturally muslims are going to do it.

What the hell are you talking about? Its in Somalia, what socially acceptable there, would be very different that what is socially acceptable over there. 2 different countries, with there own cultures.

Also, who gives a f*** what socially acceptable in anyways, it wasn't that long ago that it was socially unacceptable (and illegal as well) to engage in Homosexual activities. As long as people are not breaking the law, live and let live imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

wes wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about? Its in Somalia, what socially acceptable there, would be very different that what is socially acceptable over there. 2 different countries, with there own cultures.

Also, who gives a f*** what socially acceptable in anyways, it wasn't that long ago that it was socially unacceptable (and illegal as well) to engage in Homosexual activities. As long as people are not breaking the law, live and let live imho.

Yeah you're right.
    Now excuse me.. I'm off to starve my wife for refusing sex and then possibly beat that girl down the road and make her eat feces cos I reckon she's a witch.

Yeah you're right.
    Now excuse me.. I'm off to starve my wife for refusing sex and then possibly beat that girl down the road and make her eat feces cos I reckon she's a witch.

Well, have fun and enjoy your time in jail, as all those things are illegal here :p.

I am sure you have had fun on your high horse judging people in other countries for doing things, that would also be perfectly legal here. Honestly, if you gonna moan about crap people do in other countries, its best to make sure it isn't perfectly legal to do the same thing here, it is just a bit silly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh lol.
    I know it could happen here but I also know that if it was to happen it'd be muslims that were doing it.
    It's not a socially acceptable thing to do so naturally muslims are going to do it.
    Muslims.
    Enough said.
    Yeah you're right.

You're done posting in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The receptionist in the hotel saw a young woman with dark rings under her eyes, torn clothes, hair in a mess and walking with a limp. She walked over and asked her what was wrong. The girl broke down in tears and said "Yesterday i got married to a man 112 years old, he told me he'd been saving all his life...i thought he meant money"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Tbh, if I reach 112, and have a 17 year old wife, I don't think I'll care about the opinions of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

As long as people are not breaking the law, live and let live imho.
    Well, have fun and enjoy your time in jail, as all those things are illegal here :p.

I am sure you have had fun on your high horse judging people in other countries for doing things, that would also be perfectly legal here. Honestly, if you gonna moan about crap people do in other countries, its best to make sure it isn't perfectly legal to do the same thing here, it is just a bit silly.
    She looks so sad though - maybe the snapper caught her on an off moment, but I don't always subscribe to cultural relativism. I think there's accepting the cultures of others, which I'm all for, but then there's being right-on for the sake of being right-on.

Dudess wrote: »
    She looks so sad though - maybe the snapper caught her on an off moment, but I don't always subscribe to cultural relativism. I think there's accepting the cultures of others, which I'm all for, but then there's being right-on for the sake of being right-on.

Well, the thing is that what is being done there would be perfectly legal here. So it isn't a case of cultural relativism. If it was something like forced marriage or female circumcision, I would be condemning like everyone else.

We are not talking about a forced marriage or anything like that here (at least based on the avaliable information), from the news reports, the whole is said to be consentual, now if the report is wrong, than we are talking about a different situation, but based on the information we have right now, is that a 17 year has willing married a 112 year old, which I admit is pretty damn unlikely, but weird **** does happen from time to time.

As for the picture, your man doesn't look the best either all things considered, I can't see if he is smiling or grimacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AH goldfish memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

For god sake, yer man is not 112. It's just a made up story like alot of the crap in the newspapers. Seriously, the life expectancy in Somalia is prob about 38 or something. There is no way someone in that kip lived to 112.

Oh, I just noticed that it says 'by a man who says he is 112 years old". lol. If he says so it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

eew. bet he cant get it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dudess wrote: »
    I wouldn't read to much into the expression on her face. The photographers take so many photos the people writing the article can put whatever expression they feel fit's their agenda on her face.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bSlick wrote: »
    For god sake, yer man is not 112. It's just a made up story like alot of the crap in the newspapers. Seriously, the life expectancy in Somalia is prob about 38 or something. There is no way someone in that kip lived to 112.

Oh, I just noticed that it says 'by a man who says he is 112 years old". lol. If he says so it must be true.

Article says the guy has an 80 year old son. He must be in his mid-90s at the very least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement