Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie questions about installing Solaris 10

• 30-10-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am going to install Solaris 10 on a Net T2000 in a few days; I've been reading a bit and I just want to confirm that I know what I'm doing. I've used Solaris a lot through a telnet connection but never actually installed it.

The server (Net T2000) doesn't have a keyboard or monitor, so as far as I know the only alternative is through a serial console connection. I am planning to use putty as the terminal emulator. The server has Solaris already installed so I basically want to over-write everything and start over. So I have a few beginners questions:

1) To create the serial connection to my laptop, will a usb-to-serial be enough? Apparently, I might need a null modem cable as well? What exactly is this? My usb-to-serial has a male db9; but I was also given a db9 female - to db9 female cable, which I would need to connect to a male db9. How would I know if this is a Null Modem?

2) Is there any way of creating a serial connection without a Null Modem?

3) Once I have the physical connection, do I just need to open up putty, connect to the right serial console; and then I can login?

4) I would then just need to login, init 0 to get to the ok prompt, and boot cdrom?

5) One more question, is there anyway of installing Solaris with a graphical interface, as opposed to the command line interface. Not absolutely necessary, but would be nice nonetheless.

Advertisement