Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home networking question..

• 30-10-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

hi
    im thinking of networking 3 pcs in my home.
    1 domain controller (server 2003)
    2 pcs (windows 7)

so my question goes like this.
    when setting up the dc, can i give it an ip address in the range of my broadband service provider?
    i want all the machines to be able to see each other, and i want all them to have internet access.
    so im thinking if i set the dhcp settting to give out ip addresses in the same range as the broadband, they should be ok to communicate and have internet access....

Do you think that would work, or is it wrong on many levels??? :)
    any help appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GaryW

What are you trying to achive? Do you need to have a DC in your house? If you just want file sharing at home there are much easier ways to implement it.

You dont want to give your home network your ISP fixed address. Your DC should be on your own subnet which could connect back to your isp through a router.

Check the ip address you get using ipconfig on your machine. If you have some home networking gear i.e. Wireless router or something its probably easy to set it up to give you a Class C (192.168.X.X) address and have it keep the External ISP IP off your home LAN as such.

Trying to keep it simple here but will advise better when you tell us what your goals are with the setup...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Hi

mainly i want to be able to manage who can log on,
    i want to share out 1 printer to the 3 machines.
    i also want to use it replicate data accross the 3 pcs & for backup.
    and as mentioned i want the 3 pcs to be able to connct to the web aslo.

Thanks
    damien

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GaryW

Personally running a DC for that seems overkill... Have you looked up about workgroups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Syquus

Don't use a DC unless you want to try-test it and under learning purposes.

It's more powerful than to share a printer between 3 computers.

And it can be a headache if you don't know it in deep. Search for a more (by far) simple solution! Workgroups & 3rd party software if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Hi Guys
    got it sorted last night

Found this link

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

very good info on how to do it.
    i know i probably dont need a dc in the house, or even to have it that complicated, but as Syquus mentioned, its more for myself to figure out, and i hope to be able to take the msce's at somestage and having a home network'd dc is probably an advantage.

Thanks
    Damien

• Advertisement
Advertisement