Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurant

Options
  • 30-10-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Heading to Galway in November for a weekend to celebrate my OH birthday. Want to go to a REALLY nice restaurant on Saturday night but not really very familiar with galway. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. We eat most foods and I don't mind travelling a bit out of the city either if we had too.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I reckon Sheridans on the Docks (upstairs from the bar) is the best restaurant in galway at the minute. It's a nice room, the food is exceptional and the staff know what they are doing. I've eaten there 6 or 7 times this year and it's always been really good.

Abolone on Domnick Street would be my next choice but i haven't eaten there for over a year (probably due to my obsession with sheridans)

I've not tried either Ard Bia in Nimmos or Artisan over neacthans but i hear good things about both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Cava on Dominick St. Its Spanish style food, tapas - get 4 or 5 different pieces between ye, really tasty. They also do main courses. Its really intimate and plays live Spanish music. Booking is advised!

Asian Tea House is a personal favouirte. Great quality food and great service, staff are very friendly! You get a free jasmine tea when you are seated! (I reccommend the Duck Pancakes!!)

O'Gradys in Barna (8 miles outside the city) is great IMO, mainly seafood, but great food! Check out their menu online. Get a table up stairs near the big window

+1 On Ablone, haven't eaten there but have heard great things from couples!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

+1 for Cava.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

Thanks a million for those suggestions. I will have a look into them and see what appeals but all sound lovely. Atmosphere is as important as food so its great to hear about the surroundings as well.

Greatly appreciated.

Cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'd second O'Gradys. It's about 5 miles out though, not eight so doesn't feel too far.

Another suggestion would be Oscars, pretty much in the City Centre.

http://www.ogradysonthepier.com/

http://www.oscarsbistro.ie/#

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Been to Oscars twice now and didn't enjoy the food either time.

Abalone is great though, sitting here thinking of booking a table for tomorrow.

+1 on O'Grady's too, the site of my betrothal... Still remember the lemon sole. Nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

+1 on O Gradys

Or Kirwan's Lane Restaurant in town. Owned and run by the same guy

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

White gables , Moycullen , well worth the trip out , mmmmmmmmmmmm m m .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Rayne wrote: »
    Cava on Dominick St. Its Spanish style food, tapas - get 4 or 5 different pieces between ye, really tasty. They also do main courses. Its really intimate and plays live Spanish music. Booking is advised!

Asian Tea House is a personal favouirte. Great quality food and great service, staff are very friendly! You get a free jasmine tea when you are seated! (I reccommend the Duck Pancakes!!)

O'Gradys in Barna (8 miles outside the city) is great IMO, mainly seafood, but great food! Check out their menu online. Get a table up stairs near the big window

+1 On Ablone, haven't eaten there but have heard great things from couples!

Agree with all of the above comments. Asian Tea House is the best of that lot and is only second to Thai Garden in the Spanish arch which is really good if you like spicy food without MSG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Clinque

+1 for Abalone - I have never had a bad meal there.

The Malt House is also good and great value now that they are doing 2 and 3 course meal deals.

I have heard Sheridans is very good although haven't been there yet myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goldilocks77

McSwiggans is great, very busy and the food is good. Nice pub to have a drink in afterwards. Vina Mara is nice but a bit pricey, O Gradys was mental the night I was there, great food but couldn't wait to get out of there. Oscars is lovely too. Check out menupages website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Cat82 wrote: »
    Heading to Galway in November for a weekend to celebrate my OH birthday. Want to go to a REALLY nice restaurant on Saturday night but not really very familiar with galway. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. We eat most foods and I don't mind travelling a bit out of the city either if we had too.

Thanks a million.

i wonder which restaurant your man willie dillon in the Galway advertsier recommends. i will never forgive him for slating McDonaghs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

McSwiggans is great, very busy and the food is good. Nice pub to have a drink in afterwards. Vina Mara is nice but a bit pricey, O Gradys was mental the night I was there, great food but couldn't wait to get out of there. Oscars is lovely too. Check out menupages website.

mcswiggans is good as a restaurant but serves a very mediocre pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

McSwiggans is great, very busy and the food is good. Nice pub to have a drink in afterwards..

Insert Churchill voice

OH YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above comments. Asian Tea House is the best of that lot and is only second to Thai Garden in the Spanish arch which is really good if you like spicy food without MSG.

Hi Guys took all suggestions on board and looked at all the menus online. OH loved the menu for the Thai Garden so going to book it. My sister had mentioned it ages ago but hadn't really taken it in. It looks lovely so will try it. Have eaten in Mc Swiggans before and love it too.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement