Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Well I'm outside now. Do any of the doorbells do anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Okay. I'm going to go find somewhere to sit down. Will PM you my number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Interesting fact - walking down Leeson Street at 3am with an X arcade under your arm will not stop you from being propositioned by hookers :pac:

Cheers Augmerson, had a great night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I still reckon we should have passed that hooker around like she was Toki.

Master of the Universe

Is there a usb compatible hooker adapter for the x arcade?

'I'm gonna play you all night baby, oh yeah!'

Oh crap... soon you'll be able to relive all the those wonderful Toki memories in glorious HD...

Coming soon to PSN, WiiWare and Xbox Arcade!

Oh.. crap... there's also a video on youtube of a guy completing Toki on one life...

You should see the way he takes out the invisible giant boss at the end of level 5... only takes seconds.

Master of the Universe

Ah!!! no!!!! this cannot be!!!

EVIL GAME IS EVIL!

Retr0 gave me a lend of Panzer Dragoon Saga yet I have a feeling I'm going to end up playing Toki all week.

It's the videogame equivilant of self-flagellation.

Master of the Universe

Oh.. crap... there's also a video on youtube of a guy completing Toki on one life...

You should see the way he takes out the invisible giant boss at the end of level 5... only takes seconds.

Not possible! Not possible! Hardest game I've ever played in my life.

• Advertisement

Whole thing completed in just 20 minutes.

We really weren't using the helmet correctly... seems like a powerful offensive weapon here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Whole thing completed in just 20 minutes.

We really weren't using the helmet correctly... seems like a powerful offensive weapon here.

I thought that was Golden Axe? I kind of passed out towards the end. I was wondering how there was a Monkey all of a sudden in the game D:

Thanks everybody for coming, it was good craic and it's nice to put faces to names :) Hope you all got home safely. I was just clearing up this morning and I think you left your camera behind Retr0. Atleast I think it's yours, it's got all these pictures of some guy dressing up in Japanese schoolgirl uniforms...

That's his alright.

He copped he'd left it, but we were half way down Grafton Street by that point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I left my camera like a dope :( Couldn't run back and get it because I was cutting fine already for my bus home.

Anyway things I learnt last night:

- Golden Axe The revenge of Death Adder is surprisingly great
    - Toki is evil and can go **** itself
    - Never let amacachi near your prized consoles, he's a disaster waiting to - happen :D
    - I want a Neo Geo badly
    - I rock at Megaman 2
    - Power Stone is as good as smash bros.

BTW oisin, when panzer dragoon saga asks for your name at the start, enter your real name. Trust me!

You know what, I'll probably end up buying Toki HD and torturing myself again, it actually looks gorgeous. I'll see then if it's tougher than Contra Hard Corp.

I noticed there's a Dip Switch setting to put the thing onto easy mode.

If you look at that clip the guy has a realy cheap way of taking out some of the bosses.

You can get behind the burping guy and he can't turn around and get you.

Also if you duck down and shoot you can shoot the mammoth's feet and he can't block you with his trunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    - Golden Axe The revenge of Death Adder is surprisingly great

great game, i always liked the short animations when you turn some fellas to stone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I just noticed that. There were no cheap tactics from me though! :P You know they all seem very familiar and I was probably doing them in the C64 version all those years ago.

My hazy memory of Tokis attract demo made the mine cart bit seem like a really cool indiana jones type moment but seeing what it really is is very disappointing.

Master of the Universe

BTW oisin, when panzer dragoon saga asks for your name at the start, enter your real name. Trust me!

Cool I'll keep that in mind. Going to start it later when my girlfriend goes out for the night. If it's only 5 hours a disc I should be able to get through it by the end of the week. Unless I get stuck on some huge boss of course!

You know what, I'll probably end up buying Toki HD and torturing myself again, it actually looks gorgeous. I'll see then if it's tougher than Contra Hard Corp.

Do it!!! And record it too ;)

Panzer Dragoon Saga is very easy so you won't be troubled. I only died once during the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sounds like fun was had by all! Sorry I couldn't be there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Enjoyable evening lads, thankfully my offer to take a punch to the face didn't have to be taken up. :pac: Pity I had to leave early, but such is life.
    On the downside there's so much stuff I now want that I didn't realise I wanted before. :pac:
    What was the name of the scary game on the Saturn?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Sounds like fun was had by all! Sorry I couldn't be there :(

Yeah man, shame you missed it. Retro played through Megaman 2 from start to finish. Quite a thing to see!

amacachi wrote: »
    Enjoyable evening lads, thankfully my offer to take a punch to the face didn't have to be taken up. :pac: Pity I had to leave early, but such is life.
    On the downside there's so much stuff I now want that I didn't realise I wanted before. :pac:
    What was the name of the scary game on the Saturn?

Do you mean Cho Aniki? I can happily say its weirdness exceeded all my expectations :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah man, shame you missed it. Retro played through Megaman 2 from start to finish. Quite a thing to see!

Wow! I can just picture him there, playing, shouting BEER! at random intervals and someone running over, bottle of beer with straw in hand.

Do you mean Cho Aniki? I can happily say its weirdness exceeded all my expectations :D

That's the one. I was going to send a mate a youtube video of it but I think it's worth waiting to show him by having him play it. :pac:

On hard mode might I add :P Pity I couldn't do the same with Toki but there's always next time to practice for!

I wasn't shouting 'Beer!', more hurling expletives at the screen.

Cho Aniki is indeed the name of the weird game. We kept it in reserve until monkeyfudge arrived, we thought he would appreciate it's weirdness. If you don't want to wait until you get a saturn you could always emulate the SNES or TG-16 releases in the series one of which is a one on one beat'em up. They aren't quite as weird as the saturn one since they aren't digitised.

Cho Aniki is indeed the name of the weird game.

Yeah, that game was out there. There was something really epic about it's weirdness though, it was as odd-ball over the top as it possibly could be and proud of it.

There's actually a really weird thing in the options. It's all in japanese so I don't know what the hell it is but it leads to a video of one of the guys they digitised showing off his muscles. It's rather disturbing.

On youtube I think there was a game for the PS2 with it in the title, video made up of 45 seconds of bodybuilders showing off together and pruning each other up. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

On hard mode might I add :P Pity I couldn't do the same with Toki but there's always next time to practice for!

I wasn't shouting 'Beer!', more hurling expletives at the screen.

Cho Aniki is indeed the name of the weird game. We kept it in reserve until monkeyfudge arrived, we thought he would appreciate it's weirdness. If you don't want to wait until you get a saturn you could always emulate the SNES or TG-16 releases in the series one of which is a one on one beat'em up. They aren't quite as weird as the saturn one since they aren't digitised.
    Ah man cant believe I missed that .Had some last minute stuff happen so I couldnt even pop down for the few hours I'd planned , hopefully make the next one though

I also recall a rather lucid moment where everybody was agreeing that Donkey Kong Country was actually a decent game. I was waiting for a black cat to walk by to let me know there was a glitch in the matrix but none came by.

Master of the Universe

Augmerson wrote: »
    I also recall a rather lucid moment where everybody was agreeing that Donkey Kong Country was actually a decent game. I was waiting for a black cat to walk by to let me know there was a glitch in the matrix but none came by.

417.gif

• Advertisement

Even I'm not crazy about Donkey Kong Country and that's saying something!

That's crazy talk, I only said the music was good!

Well there was no mortal kombat. We had a Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and a Neo Geo and therefore were too busy enjoying some good beat'em ups :P

Reviving the thread...

How does the 3rd of July sound for another retro gathering with 4 Swords Adventures and Pac-man Vs.?

My Sunnyside apartment to host!

Master of the Universe

Unfortunately I have a family thing on the 3rd so wouldn't be able to go :(

Any other weekend after that up until August is fine with me though!

Well dates are flexible. Lets see when suits the most people.

I agree with this product and/or service.

I'm free pretty much 24/7 these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Hmm, it's very close ;^; I'd need a bit more then 9 (?) days notice to sort out monies

Any day really suits me.

• Advertisement

Well will we aim for some date in mid July?

I'm good for most Fridays and Saturdays next month.

The 10th?

10th's better for me :3

10th is fine with me anyway.

My Sunnyside apartment to host!
    where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

World Cup 3rd-place play off that night, just so people know! Might come along to this if that's ok

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

10th is fine for me too :)

Sounds like a plan.

10th it is then!

And ghostchant, you're more than welcome to come along.

And ghostchant, you're more than welcome to come along.

Well only if he doesn't like kicking saturns :P

Master of the Universe

He can kick n64s all he wants though.

In fact, I'll bring an n64 along specifically for a kicking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement