Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually I was going to suggest some goldeneye. However I've only 3 controllers, 2 of which are broken and 1 is a bit janky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll be going out to my parents on the 3rd. I'm fairly sure I have about three decent working n64 pads. Will have a look when I'm out there.

Now if someone can just make up that cardboard thing that fits over the tv! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually I was going to suggest some goldeneye. However I've only 3 controllers, 2 of which are broken and 1 is a bit janky.

I've got 4, 3 official which work fine and 1 unofficial but has a broken analog stick.

I've got lots of accessories and controllers so just let me know and I'll bring it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've got lots of accessories and controllers so just let me know and I'll bring it.

Just bring yourself, booze, the controllers and any hot and/or easy friends.

Just bring yourself, booze, the controllers and any hot and/or easy friends.

I'll see if good personal friend* Vikki Blows is available.

06.jpg

*May not actually know woman in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I should have an N64 with at least 2 working controllers. Should have Golden Eye too... will have a root.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would like to head along to this, assuming the cruel mistress that is employment doesn't shackle me that evening.

Note: I am awful with that monstrosity known as an N64 controller.

Sera wrote: »
    where's that?

Oh. Missed an important question here.

Sunnyside is wonderful, magical place that is just 3 short miles from the city centre.

It's on the Malahide road and really well serviced by public transport. I also have an ample underground car park if there are any drivers.

Can I suggest we all meet in town and get the bus together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Can I suggest we all meet in town and get the bus together?

I 'd be up for that, I have an amazing ability to get lost between a bus stop and my final destination without fail.

Master of the Universe

I'd be up for meeting a few people to get the bus. I'm also one who tends to get lost more often than he should.

Probably one of the reasons I don't drive yet!

What time should we arrive at?

Master of the Universe

What bits and pieces are people going to bring this time? Ciderman! Come on out and bring your Vectrex and Virtuaboy!!!

Mmmmm, Virtual Boy.....

I was going to bring 3 N64 pads along with goldeneye & worms for the N64 and Pokémon colosseum for the cube. Oh and a few GBA's in case they're needed.

Could also bring along mario kart for the cube, but I only have 1 cube controller and it's in Japanese so I'd be bringing the Jap cube too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know, I'm not allowed to play with "Bigger boys", they just get me into trouble!
    We'll see.
    Where is the venue again?
    And you want me to take a Virtual Boy and a Vectrex on a bus?
    And get them home again, on another bus, safely, while drunk?
    Is this some retro gaming loving planet fantasy land we all live in now?
    "Ah, sure we won't beat the crap out of him, he has a Vectrex with a flash cart, he's alright in our book, lets go beat up some grannies"

Actually, I'll be driving if I can make it, so what time will folk be meeting at?
    I'll have to see what's up that day.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Where is the venue again?

Monkeyfudge's apartment
    And you want me to take a Virtual Boy and a Vectrex on a bus?

Yes
    And get them home again, on another bus, safely, while drunk?

If you want, I'll bring one of them home to my place. It's safer that way you see.
    Actually, I'll be driving if I can make it, so what time will folk be meeting at?
    I'll have to see what's up that day.

It's a Saturday..so..bout 5 or 6ish? I'm easy myself, whenever suits. As long as I get my saturday lie in :)

You'll have to come. When have you ever been in a situation recently when someone has said -

'OMFG! IS THAT A VECTREX?!, YOU ARE MY HERO!!'

Never? thought so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm up for this by the way, although getting back to my house in the sticks from outside the city centre may be problematic.Mr MonkeyF, how do you feel about strange internet people bringing a sleeping bag and kipping on the floor/sofa/area that isnt occupied by consoles?;)

I'm up for this by the way, although getting back to my house in the sticks from outside the city centre may be problematic.Mr MonkeyF, how do you feel about strange internet people bringing a sleeping bag and kipping on the floor/sofa/area that isnt occupied by consoles?;)

Should be fine. Have comfy enough sofa and recently got a inflatable mattress from Aldi.

I'm happy to meet people in the city centre at around 5 or so... Only takes about 10 minutes on the bus to get to Sunnyside.

• Advertisement

Yes, that'd probably be helpful if you met us in town first. Would save us from getting the wrong bus or something :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I wouldn't mind heading if it won't completely pack the place out. I also understand if I'm not allowed to sit within a stretched leg's distance of the consoles area. :P

Should be fine. Have comfy enough sofa and recently got a inflatable mattress from Aldi.

I'm happy to meet people in the city centre at around 5 or so... Only takes about 10 minutes on the bus to get to Sunnyside.
    Awesomeoh!

Yes, that'd probably be helpful if you met us in town first. Would save us from getting the wrong bus or something :P

The bus stop is right next to the city morgue... nothing can go wrong.

My living room can probably comfortably seat about 8-10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If I do go, it could be around 9 as the better half is working.
    Anything people want me to bring, I mean aside from VB and Vectrex?
    I have lots of games for N64 as well, if there was something in particular, Perfect Dark, Conker, whatever.

Master of the Universe

Would the Steel Batallion controller be too much to ask? :D

• Advertisement

Any interest in me bringing the saturn again? I think we might have enough with a VB, Vectrex, N64 and the Gamecube link up games. I hope you have a dreamcast with powerstone 2, powerstone went down a treat last time.

So, is there an xbox there?
    I will bring Steel Battalion and the controller if you like.

Ciderman is like the retrogamers father christmas. Seriously it would be great if you brought the VB and Vectrex, always wanted to try both and there's no way to experience them fully except with the original hardware.

Master of the Universe

So, is there an xbox there?
    I will bring Steel Battalion and the controller if you like.

Whey!! excellent!

/crosses fingers there's an xbox
    Ciderman is like the retrogamers father christmas. Seriously it would be great if you brought the VB and Vectrex, always wanted to try both and there's no way to experience them fully except with the original hardware.

It's great isn't it? I've wanted to play the two of them for years. Have yet to see one in the flesh.

Ciderman - you should arrive in a red costume with a big white beard :D

I'm just trying to think if there's anything a bit out of the ordinary I can bring myself. Anyone got any interesting arcade boards? Could bring along a Supergun. Although, seems a bit pointless with MAME and Monkeyfudge's X Arcade!

The Overclocked Megadrive is a no no as the sound is gone so it's going to have to go under the knife again.

Super Famicom and Super Wild card? gives me an excuse to try out that Famicom travel case :D

I'm also picking up a modded Dreamcast stick on Monday. So I'll bring that along as I'm dying for a reason to try it out.

Well my mother has been bugging me to clear out a bunch of stuff from the house.

So this weekend I should be picking up most of my old consoles.

Will have an original Xbox, N64, Dreamcast (with steering wheel & arcade stick, and maracas) and my Gamecube.

I've also gotten far more of the MAME roms working properly now for the X-Arcade.

Starting to think I'll need more than one television set.

• Advertisement

Only thing about Steel Battalion is if the Xbox is chipped it won't work, the chip needs to have a switch to disable it.
    My xbox will do the trick, unless yours is a virgin model, unsullied by modders hands.

The only chips in my home are from the Cosy chipper next door.

That said my xbox hasn't been turned on since before I got a 360.. which I would have got at launch... so however long ago that was. Will test it the weekend.

Xboxes are made of adamantium and can survive being shot with a magnum .45 (true story) so I'd say it will definitely still work.

Master of the Universe

Anyone have a projector?

Luckily the Vectrex comes with it's own integral vector monitor, so one less tv needed, and so, for that matter, does the VB, nice!
    For the VB I have most things that matter, including Red Alarm, Galactic pinball and the frankly awesome Mario Tennis!
    See how Nintendo originally planned to deliver the 3D revolution into the homes of the 1990's, 15 years before the 3DS! Oh yes my friends!

Well my mother has been bugging me to clear out a bunch of stuff from the house.

So this weekend I should be picking up most of my old consoles.

Will have an original Xbox, N64, Dreamcast (with steering wheel & arcade stick, and maracas) and my Gamecube.

I've also gotten far more of the MAME roms working properly now for the X-Arcade.

Starting to think I'll need more than one television set.
    If I have the car I'll bring a spare tv (albeit a 16" lcd one), I've a box full of "cough" internet sourced DC games (probably 50-60)so I'll bring them as well.
    oh and if I remember it I'll bring some saturn games, I've duke nukem and entombed so theres always the option of a bit of Death Tank Zwei multtiplayer.

See how Nintendo originally planned to deliver headaches and motion sickness into the homes of the 1990's, ..
    ..fixed that for you there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Luckily the Vectrex comes with it's own integral vector monitor, so one less tv needed, and so, for that matter, does the VB, nice!
    For the VB I have most things that matter, including Red Alarm, Galactic pinball and the frankly awesome Mario Tennis!
    See how Nintendo originally planned to deliver the 3D revolution into the homes of the 1990's, 15 years before the 3DS! Oh yes my friends!

Remember seeing what games you had up on adverts and think most of mine are the same (the decent ones anyway), but here's what I have if there's any you want brought along:

Red Alarm
    Vertical Force
    V-Tetris
    Teleroboxer
    Wario Land
    Pro Baseball '95
    Virtual Golf
    Panic Bomber

Master of the Universe

If I have the car I'll bring a spare tv (albeit a 16" lcd one), I've a box full of "cough" internet sourced DC games (probably 50-60)so I'll bring them as well.
    oh and if I remember it I'll bring some saturn games, I've duke nukem and entombed so theres always the option of a bit of Death Tank Zwei multtiplayer.

Do you have a VGA box for the dreamcast and that LCD?

I'm thinking some vertical shooter goodness :)

Haven't been able to do that with my dreamcast for ages. Girlfriend stole my Dreamcast LCD :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you have a VGA box for the dreamcast and that LCD?

I'm thinking some vertical shooter goodness :)

Haven't been able to do that with my dreamcast for ages. Girlfriend stole my Dreamcast LCD :(
    sadly no , just the original connector.I was actually just going to bring the games and controllers (for spare) , seeing as monkey has one, so unless he has a vga box..?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Was just wondering as I have a VGA box myself that I can bring if needed. But if someone has a projector with a VGA input..... /drool

sadly no , just the original connector.I was actually just going to bring the games and controllers (for spare) , seeing as monkey has one, so unless he has a vga box..?

Anything less than RGB is not welcome :P

Bring along Teleroboxer, I don't have that one.

Just checked the Vectrex, all systems go!
    Initially it seemed to reset, but a quick reseating of the Vecflash cart and I was playing Asteroids to beat the band, and believe me, there is nothing like playing these things via a vector monitor, superb!
    Plus the flash cart contains everything ever made for the console, they are all PD now.

Was just wondering as I have a VGA box myself that I can bring if needed. But if someone has a projector with a VGA input..... /drool

I can probably nab the one from work. Also the blind from the back window of the living room makes for a prefect cinema screen.

I do have a 24" monitor as well though.

I'm really looking forward to this now.
    My better half is a bit suspect though....

Master of the Universe

I'm really looking forward to this now.
    My better half is a bit suspect though....

Whooooooooooopiiiiiiiiiiiiiiishhhhhhhh!!!!!

(That was the sound of a whip)

Tell her it's a videogame related thing. There won't be a girl for about ten miles.

Unless of course Sera comes. Don't tell her about Sera!!!!

Whooooooooooopiiiiiiiiiiiiiiishhhhhhhh!!!!!

(That was the sound of a whip)

Tell her it's a videogame related thing. There won't be a girl for about ten miles.

Unless of course Sera comes. Don't tell her about Sera!!!!
    There's also my flat mate.. but I can just get her drunk and get her stuck in a corner.

Master of the Universe

She can pretend to be Code Veronica again. It'll be hilarious.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Augmerson - are you coming along?

If you are, fancy bringing that PSone with the LCD screen? I'd love to link it up with my one for the craic. If that's possible. Not sure if I saw a link cable port on the back. There has to be one there.

Advertisement