Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Okay.

Well everyone stick their name on the doodle and we'll work out which date suits the most people:

http://www.doodle.com/mqpa5sxb8653fnmp#table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Would those that mostly just lurk here because they don't have the space/money for collecting gear/putting a cab be welcome? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone who loves great video games is welcome.
    If you scoff at the CDi it's a bonus.

If you're not familiar with this car crash of a console then take a moment to check it on YouTube, I'll wait.....

You back?
    Good!

It's important to be accustomed to the misery of that machine, so you won't be permanently scarred when Retr0 insists on showing you how "misunderstood" the Zelda games are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Would those that mostly just lurk here because they don't have the space/money for collecting gear/putting a cab be welcome? :o

Are you kidding?! Pull up a chair dude. Everybody, this is Damo, Damo is as sound as a pound :)

Bear in mind man, that before long, you will start looking around your abode thinking where would be the best place to put an Ikea unit. You'll then start thinking about filling it with consoles like the Snes, Megadrive, Dreamcast, Saturn etc etc. You'll then start buying games for the systems, & posting pics of new arrivals in the "Post Here When You Get Something New Thread". We'll all thank your posts, & then feel the need to buy things ourselves to restore balance to the force.

After a while, you'll start asking, "Hmm, an arcade cab would actually look really well in that corner." You'll then start asking us about cabs, we'll advise you, soon after that, there's gonna be a knock on your door from a courier with a large delivery from Holland. It will be a cab. You will then start asking us how to get around the missus to accept your new sickness, some will sympathize, others will say grow a pair. After that, you'll look around your place & see an Ikea unit packed with retro consoles, shelves & shelves housing a glorious collection of retro games, & two arcade cabs packed with a collection of pcb's. You'll ask, "How the hell did this happen?!" and we'll say...

die_hard_welcome_to_the_party_pal.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't have room for all this retro gear. I make room for it!

Also, if lads who love Cho Aniki & fress up as Japanese schoolgirls are welcome at beers, I'd imagine most anyone will be :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, Retr0 kinda represents the outer limits of the scene, if you can see that we find it in our hearts to accept him, you can be sure you'll be welcome too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can a man dress as sailor moon without suffering abuse?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can a man dress as sailor moon without suffering abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yes but only because I haven't seen you in yonks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I only remembered, Brocon on the 12th -14th of July as well, didn't even realize it was clashing with me babysitting (FUUUUU)
    Speaking of cons, just incase anyone's organizing a beers for August (getting in early), I'll gone a UK con for the weekend of 16th

EnterNow wrote: »
    After a while, you'll start asking, "Hmm, an arcade cab would actually look really well in that corner." ... You will then start asking us how to get around the missus to accept your new sickness, some will sympathize, others will say grow a pair.

I've already informed her a few times about my desire to have a arcade/MAME cabinet as soon as we have the space for it!
    As it is, my DVD/bluray/game collection is in a couple of stacks on the floor as we're struggling to find a unit (that doesn't have to be secured to the wall) to fit in our smallish one bed apartment, so unless I get rid of my computer desk, I'll have no room for a MAME cab. :(

Then again... who needs a bed/bathroom... :D

Currently just run MAME on my PC and console wise have Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U, PSP, DS, 3DS, and up home in Donegal have the N64 and Gamecube tucked away too.

Who's up for a bash of Beetle Adventure Racing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've already informed her a few times about my desire to have a arcade/MAME cabinet as soon as we have the space for it!
    As it is, my DVD/bluray/game collection is in a couple of stacks on the floor as we're struggling to find a unit (that doesn't have to be secured to the wall) to fit in our smallish one bed apartment, so unless I get rid of my computer desk, I'll have no room for a MAME cab. :(

Currently just run MAME on my PC and console wise have Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U, PSP, DS, 3DS, and up home in Donegal have the N64 and Gamecube tucked away too.

Who's up for a bash of Beetle Adventure Racing?

I have one of these for that purpose. You're supposed to secure it to the wall but I didn't bother with mine and it hasn't fallen over yet! The thing is full to the brim with DVDs, Games and Vinyl too.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20116274/

Thats the spirit! :D

Achilles wrote: »
    I have one of these for that purpose. You're supposed to secure it to the wall but I didn't bother with mine and it hasn't fallen over yet! The thing is full to the brim with DVDs, Games and Vinyl too.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20116274/

I'd been looking at the likes of this one:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40085709/#/40085714

Need something with a small footprint so that it fits between the TV stand and the table... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Can't beat a Billy bookcase, I've a few of them about the place. Cheap as chips in the plain colours as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Will we say Friday the 19th so?

(I just became unavailable for the 12th)

Can I just pipe in that I was going to throw one on the 26th?

• Advertisement

I'll be in Tenerife on the 19th so won't be there! Unless you all want to come to Tenerife for a beers?

I'll be in Tenerife on the 19th so won't be there! Unless you all want to come to Tenerife for a beers?

Yeah if you're paying for the flights etc, no problem!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can I just pipe in that I was going to throw one on the 26th?

I'm just going by what people filled in on the doodle.

If more people put there names in for the 6th we could do it then.

I'm only going if I can bring Gal Gun.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I'm just going by what people filled in on the doodle.

If more people put there names in for the 6th we could do it then.

The option of the 26th didn't seem to be included in that Doodle thing... ?

Shock shock, horror horror!
    Gross manipulation of the stats!
    Dino, say it ain't so!

• Advertisement

Well, the date is there, I was hoping for good weather and BBQ as well, too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Well, the date is there, I was hoping for good weather and BBQ as well, too much?

As long as there's electricity everything should be grand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As long as there's electricity everything should be grand :D

Arcade and Retro board game night. Could use Dinorex's board game with the candle as it would also work as a source of light :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yeah and Retr0 can play CDi charades :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

How about moving it to the following week...I could then turn up :D

• Advertisement

Because I thought CiDeRmAn had that date.

What social disasters we all are....

Just as long as myself and Retr0 don't turn up wearing the same frock, then we're okay.

Well, I don't mind shifting mine to the week after the 26th, that'd be the 2nd of August..... my glob, we're wishing the summer away, when we should be inside, playing videogames, while in my 40's... :(

So, what's what and what?
    What about Dino's on the 5th of July?
    Then leave mine to the 26th?

I'll be at a play on the 5th so no good for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll be at a play on the 5th so no good for me.

Tell the truth, you'll be playing Galgun sans pants

Been there. Done that. All out of jizz.

Hmmm, note to self, bring hygenic wipes to next Beers in Retr0's!

Right, the 26th of July suits me here, so I'm going to fix it at that.
    Seemed to be a good common denominator before of everyone who can go.
    I promise to have the place tidy on your arrival.
    Normal adult snacks will be provided.
    Haribos
    Nachos
    Guinness flavoured crisps
    NRG drinks

possibly
    BBQ

• Advertisement

Right, the 26th of July suits me here, so I'm going to fix it at that.
    Seemed to be a good common denominator before of everyone who can go.
    I promise to have the place tidy on your arrival.
    Normal adult snacks will be provided.
    Haribos
    Nachos
    Guinness flavoured crisps
    NRG drinks

possibly
    BBQ

You had me at Haribo

Righty O, just to remind folk of the Beers in mine on the 26th, should be a blast.
    May have the BBQ running, depending on weather.
    Mrs Ciderman does some mean ribs!

There'd better be a BBQ or I'm not going.

Have it on my calender.

I'd be interested in attending Ciderman, can you PM your location details please?

Thanks.

Good thing the 26th is payday for me!

Pencil me in.

I'll forward those directions closer to the date to everyone, I live about halfway between Swords and Ashbourne, near the little hamlet of Rolestown, a kip in all but name....
    Keith Duffy used to live there, which was a famous as the place got, aside from my progenitors being from the area, little did they know the retrogaming force their genepool would spit out in disgust!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolestown
    220px-Killosery_Church.jpg
    Note: this is not my house, this is the local Jebus followers meeting hut.... fancy isn't it?
    Did a nice painting of that once, but that's another story

Ohhh... anybody heading back out the Dun Laoghaire way? If so any chance I could hitch a lift back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Looking forward to it :3

• Advertisement

Sera, we are expecting lots of tasty baked treats!
    You won't let us down, will you?

Advertisement