Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 baldeagle1999

having stumbled across the 20% offer on boards i thought i'd shop around a bit and give 8202020 a go.. booked online yesterday afternoon for an 11.00 pickup to the airport (hoping to get an approx €10 saving from Celbridge to the airport).

A few minutes before 11am I rang 8202020 just to confirm they received my online booking (it was to the airport after all) and they confirmed someone was on their way.

At 11.05 i get a call from them saying that the nearest taxi was 20 mins away.... not trusting the 'about 20 minutes away' and already envisioning my plane leaving without me, I tried my local Celbridge company (Call a Cab) to see if they could rescue me... and luckily (it being a Sunday) they were at my door in 2 mins. Also, Call a Cab have fixed rates from Celbridge to the airport (€45 including tolls, call out charge, etc), which i find extremely competitive....

NEVER again will i book 8202020 and more than that, i'll be highly dissuading anyone else from using them also

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

sorry u got let down i don't work for them but it is happening a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Also, Call a Cab have fixed rates from Celbridge to the airport (€45 including tolls, call out charge, etc), which i find extremely competitive....

Not bad, not bad at all
    Support your local taxi firm

Or if you know a good local driver then get their mobile number and you can arrange something

the only thing about them giveing you a set price is thats its price fixing and they could be in a bit of bhother.

james116 wrote: »
    the only thing about them giveing you a set price is thats its price fixing and they could be in a bit of bhother.

A few people have linked this site
    http://www.worldtaximeter.com/

Very, very accurate from what I've seen
    So if a driver gives you a cheaper fixed fare and you sign the waiver at the start of the journey then there's no problem

It would cost me maybe €30 to get to Dublin Airport where I am. I've never paid full fare, all you have to do is talk to the controllor or driver.
    At 6am, you're going to get someone to take you for €25 or less :)
    Just sort it out at the beginning and not when you get to the airport. If there is no agreement and the driver has the meter on then pay the man! The end of the journey is not the time to haggle

mikemac wrote: »
    A few people have linked this site
    http://www.worldtaximeter.com/

Very, very accurate from what I've seen
    So if a driver gives you a cheaper fixed fare and you sign the waiver at the start of the journey then there's no problem

It would cost me maybe €30 to get to Dublin Airport where I am. I've never paid full fare, all you have to do is talk to the controllor or driver.
    At 6am, you're going to get someone to take you for €25 or less :)
    Just sort it out at the beginning and not when you get to the airport. If there is no agreement and the driver has the meter on then pay the man! The end of the journey is not the time to haggle
    u sign a waiver if u are leaveing the meter area only its still price fixing.but its now what we have to do to get by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

having stumbled across the 20% offer on boards i thought i'd shop around a bit and give 8202020 a go.. booked online yesterday afternoon for an 11.00 pickup to the airport (hoping to get an approx €10 saving from Celbridge to the airport).

A few minutes before 11am I rang 8202020 just to confirm they received my online booking (it was to the airport after all) and they confirmed someone was on their way.

At 11.05 i get a call from them saying that the nearest taxi was 20 mins away.... not trusting the 'about 20 minutes away' and already envisioning my plane leaving without me, I tried my local Celbridge company (Call a Cab) to see if they could rescue me... and luckily (it being a Sunday) they were at my door in 2 mins. Also, Call a Cab have fixed rates from Celbridge to the airport (€45 including tolls, call out charge, etc), which i find extremely competitive....

NEVER again will i book 8202020 and more than that, i'll be highly dissuading anyone else from using them also

id find this very very strange what you say. considering if a call was pre booked in celbridge the drivers get an hour notice to head to that call.

Id like to know who you spoke to in 820 and when you booked it online and maybe i can get some more info for ya.

also please note 820 is based in newmarket square so if you booked it for straight away you would be left waiting about 30 mins id say. to me by the sounds of it that you didnt send the entry online and it adds up the half hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Get out and go where exactly?
    No, what will happen is drivers will replace cars less often, get them serviced less often, cleaned less often, run on bald tyres and worn brake pads, work longer hours and crash more often, tout for trade and generally operate illegally.
    I cannot believe there are people out there still married to the market economy, no need for regulation, it'll all work itself out and everybody will be grand

Well I think that everyone who takes taxis would be in favour of then being regularly inspected on ranks etc and if they aren't up to scratch they should be sent home until they are safe. That is with or without too many taxis, 20% off or anything.

But if you think that dirty unsafe cars are what constitutes a "collapse" in the taxi industry, some of the cars I have been in the past would lead me to believe that it collapsed in certain quarters several years ago!

Well I think that everyone who takes taxis would be in favour of then being regularly inspected on ranks etc and if they aren't up to scratch they should be sent home until they are safe.

Yep, I include 1995 Toyota Carinas in this!
    If you can't invest in a new car and your comrades behind you in the rank won't take me (as often happens) as they are bound by some unwritten rule, there are no shortage of taxis to flag down, happy days.

Get a decent car and I'll give you my business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

u sign a waiver if u are leaveing the meter area only its still price fixing.but its now what we have to do to get by.

You can use the waiver form for any journey. It doesnt have to be leaving the meter area.

This is not what price fixing is. Price fixing is used to drive up prices or maintain them as high as possible. It also cant occur without at least 2 companies etc being in collusion with each other. That is not what is happening here.

Just a point on 820... and the Celbridge job. Its always going to be difficult to get a Dublin Taxi in Kildare. Sometimes you get lucky and they are on time and sometimes you dont. I previously worked in the Lucan area and people found it hard to get cars from there to pick up in Celbridge and surrounding areas. No company from outside an area can guarantee pick-up as the guys taking the bookings dont control the drivers.

James I dont know what your problem is but your sounding like a broken record. Where is your evidence that they dont arrive for all the jobs you say?? And dont give me this " Awh people I know said it or I pick all the people up" cos you dont and its rubbish. Real proof or it didnt happen imo.

I could come on here and say ***** cab company are crap and never pick up people or their drivers rip ya off or some such rubbish. Doesnt make it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Wrong wrong wrong wrong

Advertisement