Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 1911 census records

Options
  • 30-10-2009 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Here is a site that may be interest to alot of people. Its the database for the 1911 census records, you can search by surname, county, etc. It details the names and ages of everyone present in each household on the day the census officer visited. On each family record / form, you can see the signiture of the head of the house.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wow what an excellent site. Even has actual picture of the form filled in by my great grandfather in Derry in 1911. Amazing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Aw great stuff NWA.This information usually comes at a price, so to have free access to these files now is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

irish1967 wrote: »
    Wow what an excellent site. Even has actual picture of the form filled in by my great grandfather in Derry in 1911. Amazing:)

I know, its a bit surreal seeing my great grandfather's signiture from way back then. You can refine search by townland also, and leave the surname field blank. I forgot, it includes the 6 counties because it was before partition... great for relatives living abroad who are interested in geneology

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Good stuff,cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah I have already sent the link to USA, London and Australia:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny how many names are still in the townland i live in and having the census return for the house, wouldnt have my family though dont think the census stretched to poland and russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I have spent HOURS on this site over the last few months - absolutely addictive. I think the 1906 census is in the process of being microfiched and I just can't wait to peruse it. Griffith's Valuation is also online - I will get the link and post back.
    Fascinating to see details of great grand parents, families etc. Even the kind of house they had and how many windows and outhouses. I had a little shocked laugh at the question about whether each family member is deaf, dumb, a lunatic or an imbecile :eek:
    I just wish the dates of birth were there on the form - I don't know a lot of them and I'd love to find out without trawling through hard copy stuff in a dusty archive (and maybe not find them even then).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Advertisement