Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SB X-fi problem with Windows 7

• 30-10-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm having some issues with my Creative Soundblaster X-fi Platinum. Sound was working fine yesterday and earlier today. I did replace my ram this morning but I did recheck the card to make sure it was seated properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times and it's the latest version. OS is Windows 7 64-bit. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Adyx wrote: »
    Hi, I'm having some issues with my Creative Soundblaster X-fi Platinum. Sound was working fine yesterday and earlier today. I did replace my ram this morning but I did recheck the card to make sure it was seated properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times and it's the latest version. OS is Windows 7 64-bit. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.
    You haven't indicated the problem yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

cpu-dude wrote: »
    You haven't indicated the problem yet?

An excellent point thanks! :)Yeah sorry, there is no sound at all now. Regardless of program or whether I use the speakers or headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Any chance the device is not detected or recognised at all? I had the same problems few months ago on Vista and Windows 7 RC but I suspect it was down to my X-Fi itself. I gave up and am just using the onboard sound these days.

mart_max wrote: »
    Any chance the device is not detected or recognised at all? I had the same problems few months ago on Vista and Windows 7 RC but I suspect it was down to my X-Fi itself. I gave up and am just using the onboard sound these days.

Thanks for the reply. No, it's recognised. Shows up fine in Device Manager ("This device is working properly." etc). It's even the proper Windows 7 64-bit driver. Like I said it was working fine up until earlier. Only changes I made were adding the 4 Gb of Ram and I installed Real Alternative/Media Player Classic. I did a system restore to 2 days ago and still no luck. I had no problem under Vista actually.

On board sound isn't an option as I need the inputs on the breakout box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is reinstalling the OS and starting from scratch an option .
    Can you try the card in a different slot.

• Advertisement

Is reinstalling the OS and starting from scratch an option .
    Can you try the card in a different slot.

Can't move the card, it's a micro ATX board. Reinstalling looks like my best option. Creative's website is no use (and ridiculously slow). I'm not too bothered about reinstalling. I only installed the OS a few days ago and everything is well backed up. It's just the hassle of it. :(

Right I've solved this if anyone's interested. Not quite to my satisfaction but it'll do for now. Apparently Creative's Windows 7 64-bit drivers have a problem with 4 or more GB of Ram (which I installed his morning) on Windows 7 64-bit. Solution was to set the maximum amount of Ram to a value of less than 4096 in the boot option of msconfig. I went with 4032 but I suppose any value might do. Problem is Windows now only reports 2.87 GB out of the 4 as being usable. I swear to god, this is the last time I buy any Creative product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Very weird.

I've the same card, and 4gb of ram in my machine. Running Windows 7 Professional, 64bit, and my sound works correctly.

Windows installation detected the card and then the Creative update installed the latest Creative drivers.

No plans to increase my ram yet, but I'll take note.

Paulw wrote: »
    Very weird.

I've the same card, and 4gb of ram in my machine. Running Windows 7 Professional, 64bit, and my sound works correctly.

Windows installation detected the card and then the Creative update installed the latest Creative drivers.

No plans to increase my ram yet, but I'll take note.

Hmm maybe it's because I went from 2GB to 4GB after I had installed everything. I don't see how that could be the problem but nothing would surprise me anymore. I might do a full reinstall of Windows anyway to see if that helps. I'm not going to lose much since I don't have many programs installed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

very strange i have windows 7 64bit , 8 gigs of ram and a creative fatality titanium sound card no problems whatsoever , went onto creative website myself and downloaded the windows 7 drivers worked perfect better than their latest vista ones worked.

• Advertisement

very strange i have windows 7 64bit , 8 gigs of ram and a creative fatality titanium sound card no problems whatsoever , went onto creative website myself and downloaded the windows 7 drivers worked perfect better than their latest vista ones worked.

Just to be sure, I set the max memory back to 4096 and guess what? no sound. :mad:

The driver I'm using -

Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM), Creative Technology
    ctaud2k.sys (6.0.1.1374)

Update! Microsoft's Windows 7 hardware compatibility page actually lists the X-Fi Platinum as incompatible with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit despite Creative making a Windows 7 driver and it working fine with 2GB ram. The good news is I installed Daniel K's modified driver and it works perfect with 4GB. I couldn't get any of the supplied apps to install (Console Launcher, ALchemy etc) but as long as the sound works and I can switch modes I'm happy. :)

@Paulw: I can't remember now what the driver version was, but it was the latest Windows 7 64-bit driver listed for the X-Fi Platinum. The file name is "SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0013" if that rings any bells.

@Paulw: I can't remember now what the driver version was, but it was the latest Windows 7 64-bit driver listed for the X-Fi Platinum. The file name is "SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0013" if that rings any bells.

Yep, those drivers work fine for me.

I've also been able to install all the Creative apps.

Mind you, sometimes when I run the Creative update app, it doesn't see my sound card, but does see my Creative Zen:M device. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The titanium will be on a different driver schedule to the non titanium series (being the PCI-E version of the card).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Update! Microsoft's Windows 7 hardware compatibility page actually lists the X-Fi Platinum as incompatible with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit despite Creative making a Windows 7 driver and it working fine with 2GB ram. The good news is I installed Daniel K's modified driver and it works perfect with 4GB. I couldn't get any of the supplied apps to install (Console Launcher, ALchemy etc) but as long as the sound works and I can switch modes I'm happy. :)

Funnily enough I'm using Win7 64-bit with 4GB of Ram with the fatility platinum and everything is working grand. I know this doesn't help you much and I'm glad you got it sorted.

I remember a similar problem when Vista was first on the go with this range of cards as well, disgraceful that Creative can't get their act together and develop proper drivers for an OS they've had access to for quite some time.

Advertisement