Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tommy bowe to munster

Options
  • 30-10-2009 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

lads as doug howlett is departing munster this year and tommy bowes contract will be up with ospreys will bowe be going to munster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Yes

/thread

The above post may or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Would be great if he did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Ulster want him (which they will) I can't see Munster trying to outbid them to get him. It would set a bad precedent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If Ulster want him (which they will) I can't see Munster trying to outbid them to get him. It would set a bad precedent.

I'd be surprised if he wanted to go back to Ulster, pretty big step down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

munster would benefit more...i know ulster are rising in europe now but munster will have to bring in some young talent like bowe to stay as one of the big clubs in europe so the irfu might push him there way

• Advertisement

Seriously for a moment, while it would be fantastic to have him at Munster, I think I'd prefer it if he went to Ulster, should he leave the Ospreys.

Players moving between provinces is nothing new but it's usually players trying to break into a first team etc. but established players is a different story. As said I wouldn't want to go down the route of provinces having a free for all with each other. I mean, could you imagine BOD moving to Munster or POC Leinster?

Plus I'd like it if we replaced Howlett IF he decides to leave, there's no guarantee that he will, with one of the academy players e.g. Danny Barnes was said to have gone well in the pre-season games.

I'd be surprised if he wanted to go back to Ulster, pretty big step down.

From the Ospreys? For all their talk its not as if they are a European heavyweight.
    munster will have to bring in some young talent like bowe to stay as one of the big clubs in europe so the irfu might push him there way

I highly doubt it. The last thing the IRFU needs is provinces squabbling over players.

Risteard wrote: »
    Seriously for a moment, while it would be fantastic to have him at Munster, I think I'd prefer it if he went to Ulster, should he leave the Ospreys.

Players moving between provinces is nothing new but it's usually players trying to break into a first team etc. but established players is a different story. As said I wouldn't want to go down the route of provinces having a free for all with each other. I mean, could you imagine BOD moving to Munster or POC Leinster?

Plus I'd like it if we replaced Howlett IF he decides to leave, there's no guarantee that he will, with one of the academy players e.g. Danny Barnes was said to have gone well in the pre-season games.

do you think that danny byrnes could step up to heineken cup standard rugby at his experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Podge_irl wrote: »
    From the Ospreys? For all their talk its not as if they are a European heavyweight.

I highly doubt it. The last thing the IRFU needs is provinces squabbling over players.

We'll from the Ospreys and from not choosing Munster over Ulster, or even worse being forced to pick Ulster. Ospreys still regularly compete for ML titles and at least are able to make it into the 1/4 finals of the HEC. When was the last time Ulster did that?

GO'S wrote: »
    do you think that danny byrnes could step up to heineken cup standard rugby at his experience?

Well with that attitude how would Munster ever replace anyone from within their own set-up? Kearney and Fitz were both dropped straight into HEC rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

GO'S wrote: »
    lads as doug howlett is departing munster this year and tommy bowes contract will be up with ospreys will bowe be going to munster?

GO'S to GTFO

karmabass wrote: »
    GO'S to GTFO

GTFO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

We'll from the Ospreys and from not choosing Munster over Ulster, or even worse being forced to pick Ulster. Ospreys still regularly compete for ML titles and at least are able to make it into the 1/4 finals of the HEC. When was the last time Ulster did that?

How many HC's have the Ospreys won?

They're just a bunch of names playing in an empty stadium.

Not straight away, no but I'd still like him given a chance at Magners League level.

If we bring in a big name signing to replace Howlett, they'd obviously be earning their money which means playing a good few Magners League games as well as HEC which would limit the opportunities for a player like Barnes. I mean HEC wings currently without Howlett would be Earls, Dowling, Hurley and maybe Jones though he's preferably a full back, at a stretch Mafi could play there and Murphy if fit. We're not exactly bare in the wings dept.

Academy players have to get a chance sooner or later.

agreed did you see the liberty stadium for last heineken cup match? was empty there support cant be compared to the likes of munster

99. I just can't see him going to Munster anymore than I could have seen BOD going to Munster when they were much more successful than Leinster. I don't think he'd necessarily want to go to Munster. I doubt he'd be forced to pick Ulster - the IRFU would be keen enough on having him back in Ireland to let him go wherever he wanted. Munster may not try and entice him though, it could be seen as rocking the boat a bit much.

Irish talent is too concentrated in Leinster/Munster as it is, it needs to be spread around more. Ulster are becoming a stronger third side, which is good for Irish rugby. Youngsters or players outside the first XV moving is one thing, but established players moving is pretty rare (even via another team).

whats this i hear of a munster/connaght representive team playing a leinster/ulster representive team playing in aviva stadium? the whole tommy bowe situation prob wont happen i heard similar things about stringer going to france last season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I'd be surprised if Danny made the move up to a full contract to be honest. He will never be Heineken cup standard and might struggle a bit at ML standard even. Unless he seriously bulks up a bit and grows an extra few inches

chupacabra wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Danny made the move up to a full contract to be honest. He will never be Heineken cup standard and might struggle a bit at ML standard even. Unless he seriously bulks up a bit and grows an extra few inches

Really? I haven't seen him play just heard that he played well in the pre-season so thought he might be one for the future.

Still though, we can't continually bring players in in these positions Irish qualified or not, we're going to have to bring players up through our own academy structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

Depends on the reasons why he left ulster in the first place and how the beliefs and goals of the new setup sit with him. If the new management team impress him enough to negate the fact that he wouldnt be surrounded by international backs then he may well return. A successful season for Ulster may well swing things in their favour.
    Personally I reckon he'll sign for connacht :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Really? I haven't seen him play just heard that he played well in the pre-season so thought he might be one for the future.

Still though, we can't continually bring players in in these positions Irish qualified or not, we're going to have to bring players up through our own academy structure.

I think Danny Barnes wasn't even picked for the Ireland Under 20 30man squad and was only selected when Nevin Spence got injured so I really can't see him being too good if he can't even make an under age representative team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Stick_man

As a Munster man I'd love to see him in red but if he was moving now, it pains me to say this he would be better off at Ulster. They are developing nicely and could be a real force in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's certainly not beyond the realms of possability.

Howlett has been rumoured at looking at going back to NZ to try and break into world cup squad (with all due respect, I don't think Howlett has been a patch on his NZ form, where he was one of the best wingers in the world, with his Munster form, where he's been very good, but if he wasn't such a big name you wouldn't think of him as any sort of big deal) and Bowe wanting to return to Ireland...it would be a perfect swop and Bowe is a top level player (better than Howlett imo) and he want's to win trophies...he has a much better chance at Munster than he does Ulster.......

Stick_man wrote: »
    As a Munster man I'd love to see him in red but if he was moving now, it pains me to say this he would be better off at Ulster. They are developing nicely and could be a real force in the next few years.

ulster throwing away the hc game against edinborugh have showed that there still off the mark of becoming a force in europe...it would be lovely to see ireland have three top class teams in the hc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Bowe's father is from Waterford, so he has connections to Munster and Munster could use him but do we need him? I'm not so sure it would be the best move for him.

Danny Barnes looked really good in the preseason games, considering he came through the Youth system in Munster and only played one year of schools rugby, it's actually pretty amazing he made the Irish u-20 squad. Serious talent but a lot of serious talents don't make it so we'll have to see how he gets on this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭streings

Ulster havn't gotten out of the group stages since they won a heineken cup depleted of the English teams and havn't finished above the ospreys since the formation of the magners league so you can hardly argue that it wouldn't be a step down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Wouldn't mind seeing him at Munster, reckon he would be great at 13 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

What do we need Bowe for , we'll surely try and pinch Fionn Carr from Connacht now that he's proved himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If Bowe goes to Munster it'll be because of the tax breaks. I won't be complaining but it'll have been the key factor imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

[Jackass] wrote: »
    (with all due respect, I don't think Howlett has been a patch on his NZ form, where he was one of the best wingers in the world, with his Munster form, where he's been very good, but if he wasn't such a big name you wouldn't think of him as any sort of big deal)

With all due respect, that's rubbish. Howlett has been nothing short of excellent, consistently since he joined Munster. He might have lost a jolt of pace but to say he isn't any sort of big deal is ridiculously wide of the mark.

Advertisement