Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tommy bowe to munster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If he comes back to Ireland I would like to see him back at Ulster, with their new coaching setup it seems like they may have turned a corner and could do with another top class player along with Best and Ferris to build the team around. A strong 3rd province is only good for Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

streings wrote: »
    Ulster havn't gotten out of the group stages since they won a heineken cup depleted of the English teams and havn't finished above the ospreys since the formation of the magners league so you can hardly argue that it wouldn't be a step down

Ulster won the Magner's in 2006.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ulster won the Magner's in 2006.

I have very bad memories of that. One feckin drop goal.

As long as we're being picky, they finished ahead of Ospreys in 2004 as well. Ulster have one more European Cup than Ospreys, Ospreys have one more Celtic/Magners League than Ulster. Ospreys have reached a few more QFs of the HEC, but they're still a nothing player in terms of the HEC heavyweights, at least Ulster have won the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lets be real lads, Bowe hardly moved over there for the glorious weather so I think it's pretty clear he has an ambition to challenge for trophies, something which Ospreys are still far more capable of doing then Ulster and Munster even more so. I'd be pretty disappointed if he settled back to Ulster.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Aidric wrote: »
    With all due respect, that's rubbish. Howlett has been nothing short of excellent, consistently since he joined Munster. He might have lost a jolt of pace but to say he isn't any sort of big deal is ridiculously wide of the mark.

Have to say I done agree with that at all. Hes a very professional player and gives his all, but isnt half the player he was in Kiwi land. Was just discussing this with a Munster mate the other day and he reckoned he was living on name a bit and that Dowling who is in great form should be in front of him.
    Howlett has only scored one maybe two tries in the Heineken Cup since he came I think. Sure he is great defensively, but has made a few errors coming out of the line aswell. I think Bowe would be a great addition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Howlett is consistently one of Munster's better players since he arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

With all due respect, that's rubbish. Howlett has been nothing short of excellent, consistently since he joined Munster. He might have lost a jolt of pace but to say he isn't any sort of big deal is ridiculously wide of the mark.

I'm going to disagree with that. Hes been a very good player but nothing compared to his glory days and slightly overrated by Munster supporters on current form. I have the utmost respect for Howlett and think hes really bought into the Munster ethos and gives it his all every time but,

Out of 8 of the province's wingers I would rank him 7th on current form

(1)Nagusa,
    (2)Fionn Carr
    (3)Fitzgerald
    (4)Horgan,
    (5)Trimble,
    (6)Hurley,
    (7)Howlett,
    (8)Troy Nathan

buck65 wrote: »
    Howlett is consistently one of Munster's better players since he arrived.

Yeah hes consistent and a great professional, but as I said not half the player he was in NZ. Hes lost a lot of pace and therefore his finishing has suffered a lot. Am I right in saying he has only scored 1 try in the H Cup since he came, I cant find the stats? Not a great return for a winger. Hes a class player I agree, but he isnt the one teams are looking at nullifying when they play him any more. Rugby has changed and pace and kicking ability, which Dougie undoubtedly lacks a bit in, is a lot more important than even 3 years ago. Do you disagree with any of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Do the Munster management need another player who will be away on international duty at crucial times during the season. I'd be looking for another kiwi or bok who'd be available for selection all year round.

bmm wrote: »
    Do the Munster management need another player who will be away on international duty at crucial times during the season. I'd be looking for another kiwi or bok who'd be available for selection all year round.

Or a homegrown/youth/academy player by any chance?

• Advertisement

I'm going to disagree with that. Hes been a very good player but nothing compared to his glory days and slightly overrated by Munster supporters on current form. I have the utmost respect for Howlett and think hes really bought into the Munster ethos and gives it his all every time but,

(1)Nagusa,
    (2)Fionn Carr
    (3)Fitzgerald
    (4)Horgan,
    (5)Trimble,
    (6)Dowling,
    (7)Howlett,
    (8)Troy Nathan

Dowling has played half a game vs Treviso in recent weeks! and a poor effort vs Edingurgh.
    Well done on listing all the wings! PS where's Denis Hurley? Looking forward to Munster clicking this season , will put all these nonsense posts to bed.

Dowling has played half a game vs Treviso in recent weeks! and a poor effort vs Edingurgh.
    Well done on listing all the wings! PS where's Denis Hurley? Looking forward to Munster clicking this season , will put all these nonsense posts to bed.

Sorry mean't Hurley for Dowling. Hurley has impressed me to no end and I never thought I'd say that. As for well done on listing the wings, you can't argue with my placement, Howlett is behind Nagusa, Carr, Fitzgerald, Horgan, Trimble and Hurley right now.

Sorry mean't Hurley for Dowling. Hurley has impressed me to no end and I never thought I'd say that.

Looked well out of his depth against Leinster I thought, Horgan had a field day.

Fair enough then. I still think ye lads are talking nonsense. Howlett is revered by the fans in Munster, he would be mosts first choice winger.

danthefan wrote: »
    Looked well out of his depth against Leinster I thought, Horgan had a field day.

Horgan is in serious form though. Hurley isn't top class by any means but he has certainly improved and looks much more a threat.

Fair enough then. I still think ye lads are talking nonsense. Howlett is revered by the fans in Munster, he would be mosts first choice winger.

I think with Howlett what you have is an extremely experienced player with great leadership and one who rarely makes mistakes. He is a safe bet. Hurley and Earls although playing much better are prone to mistakes be it under high ball (Hurley) or tackling (Earls) and as such many will opt for Howlett who whilst not spectacular will never let you down. It all depends on mentality I suppose

But what do you disagree with though? What started this was Jackass saying that
    where he's been very good, but if he wasn't such a big name you wouldn't think of him as any sort of big deal
    . You dont seem to be making any points against our arguments. I agree Howlett is revered by fans, and so he should be because he is a legend, but that doesnt make him the first name on the team sheet nor does it mean he is as good as he once was. The fans dont pick the team. I mean the same could be said of O Kelly and Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

wixfjord wrote: »
    nor does it mean he is as good as he once was.
    Who here argued that he was as good as he once was? Nobody.

wixfjord wrote: »
    But what do you disagree with though? What started this was Jackass saying that . You dont seem to be making any points against our arguments. I agree Howlett is revered by fans, and so he should be because he is a legend, but that doesnt make him the first name on the team sheet nor does it mean he is as good as he once was. The fans dont pick the team. I mean the same could be said of O Kelly and Leinster

Jackass said "where he has been very good" so he actually contradicted himself.

Who here argued that he was as good as he once was? Nobody.

?? Do I have to wait for someone to bring up something before I can mention it? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

Lets be real lads, Bowe hardly moved over there for the glorious weather so I think it's pretty clear he has an ambition to challenge for trophies, something which Ospreys are still far more capable of doing then Ulster and Munster even more so. I'd be pretty disappointed if he settled back to Ulster.

Ospreys have none what since bowe has moved? nothing.Munster in last 4 seasons have 2 hc and 1 magners league to there name yet ospreys are more capable of winning trophies?

(1)Nagusa,
    (2)Fionn Carr
    (3)Fitzgerald
    (4)Horgan,
    (5)Trimble,
    (6)Hurley,
    (7)Howlett,
    (8)Troy Nathan

your kinda missing keith earls?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

GO'S wrote: »
    Ospreys have none what since bowe has moved? nothing.Munster in last 4 seasons have 2 hc and 1 magners league to there name yet ospreys are more capable of winning trophies?

Nah, he's saying Ospreys are more capable of winning than Ulster, and Munster are more capable than either.

I don't disagree on the Munster bit, but its not like BOD moved to Munster in order to get a HEC.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Nah, he's saying Ospreys are more capable of winning than Ulster, and Munster are more capable than either.

I don't disagree on the Munster bit, but its not like BOD moved to Munster in order to get a HEC.

oh apologises misread that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jackass said "where he has been very good" so he actually contradicted himself.

:rolleyes: No I'm not. He has been very consistant etc. and is a reliable player, but he's no big deal. No more so than Hurley or Earls. I think he's a good player, but the biggest deal about Howlett is his name.

I'd be more worried about Earls than I would be of Howlett when playing Munster, and I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about Tommy Bowe.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    :rolleyes: No I'm not. He has been very consistant etc. and is a reliable player, but he's no big deal. No more so than Hurley or Earls. I think he's a good player, but the biggest deal about Howlett is his name.

I'd be more worried about Earls than I would be of Howlett when playing Munster, and I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about Tommy Bowe.

i totally agree howlett is good defnsive and is a good player but if you give earls space hes more likely to do damage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

[Jackass] wrote: »
    No I'm not. He has been very consistant etc. and is a reliable player, but he's no big deal. No more so than Hurley
    So you are grouping Denis Hurley with Doug Howlett? Wow. I think we should close this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

So you are grouping Denis Hurley with Doug Howlett? Wow. I think we should close this thread now.

I don't completely agree with him being at the same level as Hurley but he most definitely isn't what he used to be and isn't as good as many see him. He makes the tackles, hes consitant and he never lets you down. But I think the guy has lost a lot of his flare. As was said before Id be more worried about earls then Howlett.

I think Jackass is just trying to make the point that he isn't that good anymore.

Or maybe you should give an informed opinionated argument instead of one liners and back seat modding eh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Lets put the handbags away please.

Advertisement