Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who would you want in your team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Ibra
    Villa is a better striker than Torres. Etoo, Drogba are too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Rooney
    United fan..

Torres
    Ibra
    Rooney
    Villa
    Drogba

In that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Adebayour
    Went for Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Adebayour
    Boggles wrote: »
    ultimately what he has won,

This completely retarded point again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rooney
    What? Boggles in retarded point shocker? Surely not? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Torres
    With the way Ibra is playing at the mo, I'd have him in any side.

Ibra
    Dont know how people can argue against Villa?

He has only once failed to score less than 20 goals (18) since 2000. Consistently outscored Torres when they both played in la Liga. That is a ridiculous record.

He scored more goals for Spain, where they play together, in a team of Superstars. Even more recently, over the last 3 years he has scored more than Torres.

He plays more consistently as well. More games/season.

Etoo has a better goals/game ratio than Torres career long too.

Ibra
    Also, leaving aside pure goals for a moment, both Rooney and Drogba (debatedly) do more for the team as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Adebayour
    Drogba is probably the most irritating footballer in the universe, but I think he is top of that list in terms of value. He's not as glamourous as alot on the list, but wholly more effective IMO. Torres is the type of player who can go missing for a whole game then BANG. Drogba however has so many facets to his play, he is alot more valuable to a team IMO. Even on an off day, he'll be a nuisance.

Drogba then Torres.

I think Rooney has yet to live up to the hype. His form is too patchy IMO. No doubting his quality, but I personally don't see him being more valuable than the above two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Adebayour
    I voted for Drogba as Torres is already in my team. Torres is head and shoulders above any other striker in the world in my opinion. Defenders ****e themselves when they are up against them!

Rooney
    Dont know how people can argue against Villa?

He has only once failed to score less than 20 goals (18) since 2000. Consistently outscored Torres when they both played in la Liga. That is a ridiculous record.

He scored more goals for Spain, where they play together, in a team of Superstars. Even more recently, over the last 3 years he has scored more than Torres.

He plays more consistently as well. More games/season.

Etoo has a better goals/game ratio than Torres career long too.

Villa 31 goals in 73 Zaragoza appearances, similiar to Torres strike rate with Madrid which was 82 goals in 214 appearances. Villa 94 goals in 138 games with Valencia, torres 47 goals in 66 games for Liverpool, both teams of similiar quality. It's actually freaky how close there stats are. I hazard a guess that Villa got far more starts in his 52 appearances then Torres did when he played for Madrid. The reason I'd take Torres over Villa is because Torres has proven himself in the premier league and spainish league, Villa has only experience in Spain. Again Eto's 48 goals in 120 games for Mallorca is pretty similiar to Torres at Madrid. Again Stats at Barca aren't miles off with Eto being marginally ahead I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

Rooney
    would havto be torres from that list, amazing player in every way ,which he proved with his great goal vs UTD.

Ibra
    Villa 31 goals in 73 Zaragoza appearances, similiar to Torres strike rate with Madrid which was 82 goals in 214 appearances. Villa 94 goals in 138 games with Valencia, torres 47 goals in 66 games for Liverpool, both teams of similiar quality. It's actually freaky how close there stats are. I hazard a guess that Villa got far more starts in his 52 appearances then Torres did when he played for Madrid. The reason I'd take Torres over Villa is because Torres has proven himself in the premier league and spainish league, Villa has only experience in Spain. Again Eto's 48 goals in 120 games for Mallorca is pretty similiar to Torres at Madrid. Again Stats at Barca aren't miles off with Eto being marginally ahead I think.

I agree similar but Villa is better in nearly every one.

He also is more consistent. He plays more games too, giving him an edge over Torres for reliability. 40+games a season on average, and he doesnt always have the luxury of Champions league games either.

The experience thing is a bit misleading too. Villa has never been given the chance in the prem, so its a bit unfair to compare there. Although I do see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney
    I discounted voting for Rooney because I was picking based on who I would want to rely on to be the goalscorer for a team. That's just the way the pole made sense to me. So Ibrahimavic's hold up play and Rooney's all round work rate and link up play didn't come into consideration for me.

That meant I was deciding between Villa, Torres and Drogba. As they are the three who's finishing I'm most impressed with. Drogba's terrible attitude counts against him for me; on the plus side he's strong, fast, good in the air and can score from anywhere. Trying to pick between Villa and Torres is very difficult but Torres is the one who impresses me the most.

Torres

(still honestly wouldn't swap any of them for Rooney but thats a whole other thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Torres
    This completely retarded point again.
    What? Boggles in retarded point shocker? Surely not? :confused:

Could ye point out why it's "retarded" to mention what Rooney has won spear heading and being the most important player for United the past 3 years?

• Advertisement

Ibra
    I think people here are picking Torres because they are so used to seeing him on TV, have more exposure to him and have to hear Andy Gray verbally masturbate over him every weekend.

As an aside, I think Torres is ****in class. Just that I dont see how people can pick him over Villa, especially when anywhere they can be reasonably compared Villa has been better. When they both played in Spain, Villa better. For Spain, Villa better.

Rooney
    I agree similar but Villa is better in nearly every one.

He also is more consistent. He plays more games too, giving him an edge over Torres for reliability. 40+games a season on average, and he doesnt always have the luxury of Champions league games either.

The experience thing is a bit misleading too. Villa has never been given the chance in the prem, so its a bit unfair to compare there. Although I do see your point.

Villa has been played 2 extra years in a much better team then torres so I'd expect his record to be slightly better. Since 2001 Torres has played 280 games in total for club, while Villa has played 291 since 2000. Torres didnt have huge luxury of CL in Madrid either. Villa has averaged 34 games a season with Valencia since 2005. I think it to close to call to say one is clearly ahead of the other imo.

edit: On you're other point's there, there's also the anti sky sports heads who **** furiously over anything in La liga like it was a picture of megan fox naked. Also, Torres' goal scoring record with Liverpool is better then Villas with Valencia. Torres scores every 1.40 games while Villa scores once every 1.47 games
    Could ye point out why it's "retarded" to mention what Rooney has won spear heading and being the most important player for United the past 3 years?

Spearing heading and most important player? Ronaldo says hi, as do a couple of other players. I don't really think trophies won show a huge amount in a team game like soccer, especially now since it far more a squad game then a 11 man game. I mean Djimi Traore has a champions league medal ahead of a far more impressive list of left backs, doesn't make him a better player then them though.

Torres
    Spearing heading and most important player? Ronaldo says hi, as do a couple of other players. I don't really think trophies won show a huge amount in a team game like soccer, especially now since it far more a squad game then a 11 man game. I mean Djimi Traore has a champions league medal ahead of a far more impressive list of left backs, doesn't make him a better player then them though.

Oh Sweet Jesus the Djimi Traore Defense, I wasn't expecting that one.

facepalm-face-palm-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1223672935.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney
    I think people here are picking Torres because they are so used to seeing him on TV, have more exposure to him and have to hear Andy Gray verbally masturbate over him every weekend.

As an aside, I think Torres is ****in class. Just that I dont see how people can pick him over Villa, especially when anywhere they can be reasonably compared Villa has been better. When they both played in Spain, Villa better. For Spain, Villa better.

I've watched a sh!t load of Villa over the years (I lived in Spain for a while and watched la liga all the time, although I didn't see him live). I just think Torres is better. Villa edges the goal stats very slightly. But when I watch them Torres just impresses me a tiny bit more. They're both lethal finishers, great technique and crazy pace. Choosing between them is very marginal. If you go by goal ratio then you give it to Villa. If you go by what your instinct is from watching them, then it can go either way and I don't see any reason to criticise people's choices as if everybody is only being swayed by Andy Gray's sh!te hawking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Rooney
    Oh Sweet Jesus the Djimi Traore Defense, I wasn't expecting that one.

facepalm-face-palm-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1223672935.jpg

In fairness Boggles you have gone topic on this thead. Mr. Alan gave a choice of strikers you would like and it doesn't matter who has won what. If you want to start another thread on that one go ahead.

• Advertisement

Torres
    Vanbis wrote: »
    In fairness Boggles you have gone topic on this thead. Mr. Alan gave a choice of strikers you would like and it doesn't matter who has won what. If you want to start another thread on that one go ahead.

How is it off Topic to talk about Rooney a player that is listed in the poll.

:confused:

Rooney is largely responsible for United been one of the best most successful clubs in the world, I will mention it if I want because it backs up my point.

Rooney
    How is it off Topic to talk about Rooney a player that is listed in the poll.

:confused:

Rooney is largely responsible for United been one of the best most successful clubs in the world, I will mention it if I want because it backs up my point.

You said he was the only one responsible for their success which isn't even close. I'd have Ronaldo and probably Vidic and Ferdinand ahead of him.

Torres
    You said he was the only one responsible for their success which isn't even close. I'd have Ronaldo and probably Vidic and Ferdinand ahead of him.

No I didn't, that would be idiotic and as you say yourself "retarded".

Rooney

Yeah basically Boggles thinks Manutd are one man team. I think Ronaldo, Ferdinand Scholes, Giggs and VDS have had just as much influence as Rooney.

Ibra
    Villa has been played 2 extra years in a much better team then torres so I'd expect his record to be slightly better. Since 2001 Torres has played 280 games in total for club, while Villa has played 291 since 2000. Torres didnt have huge luxury of CL in Madrid either. Villa has averaged 34 games a season with Valencia since 2005. I think it to close to call to say one is clearly ahead of the other imo.

edit: On you're other point's there, there's also the anti sky sports heads who **** furiously over anything in La liga like it was a picture of megan fox naked. Also, Torres' goal scoring record with Liverpool is better then Villas with Valencia. Torres scores every 1.40 games while Villa scores once every 1.47 games

Its closer than I thought tbh. Id like to be able to get a % app/total matches stat. That would prove useful I think. I dont know which way it would go though tbh.

I watch la Liga whenever I can, Im certainly not anti Sky though. I watch the premiership more than la liga for sure, Im just saying that alot of people would form their opinion on the "best striker in the world" based on the premiership, when thats flawed.

Rooney
    Fair enough, he still wasn't even close to being United most important player though, not sure how you even came up with that one.

Rooney
    I watch la Liga whenever I can, Im certainly not anti Sky though. I watch the premiership more than la liga for sure, Im just saying that alot of people would form their opinion on the "best striker in the world" based on the premiership, when thats flawed.

I watch just as much La Liga as i do the Premiership and id still take Torres over Villa.

Torres
    Fair enough, he still wasn't even close to being United most important player though, not sure how you even came up with that one.

Look at it this way, 80 million for Ronaldo, no probs what so ever.

Wouldn't take any amount for Rooney.

Rooney
    Look at it this way, 80 million for Ronaldo, no probs what so ever.

Wouldn't take any amount for Rooney.

Sure we'll see at the end of the season what trophies United win before deciding that as it seems to be the best way to judge a players importance. ;)

Torres
    Sure we'll see at the end of the season what trophies United win before deciding that as it seems to be the best way to judge a players importance. ;)

Look it's very easy.

Succesful teams have stand out players, game winners, which ultimately win competitons.

Drogba and Lampard for Chelsea when they won the league.

Henry and Pires for the Arse.

Ronaldo and Rooney for United the past 3 seasons.

When judging players, success cannot be discounted especially when the players themselves add to that success and at the very highest level it can seperate the fine margins between these world class players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Rooney
    Torres would make such a massive difference to United and I say this through gritted teeth as a United fan. I'd go so far to say hes the Liverpool player I've admired more than any other in my lifetime and I include Gerrard, Fowler etc in that. They guys an animal and can do it all. Theres not a type of goal he can't score. He can run at people, hes great in the air, lightening pace, dedeptively strong, he can score from long range, his finishing in the box is lethal and he has that x factor that all great players have that mean he can fashion a goal out of absolutely nothing all on his own. The only flaw I can see is his slight susceptibiltiy to injury.

The poll asks what player would make a difference to YOUR team. A big problem I have with United at the moment is that both their main strikers are what i would term more withdrawn strikers.. Berba and rooney like to come deep to get the ball. It was noticeable against Liverpool that their defenders were very happy to have Rooney and Berba play mainly in front of them when they were on the pitch as both of them came deep to get the ball. When Owen came on, he played right on the shoulder of teh last defender and caused serious consternation (see Carraghers foul). With Torres in the team, playing as an out and out striker, United would get back to their good old style of fully stretching teams. Rooney and Torres upfront is the dream partnership in just about every way. Pity it'll never happen. I'd happily take Villa though in real life as he's only a fraction behind his compatriot IMO.

Torres
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Torres would make such a massive difference to United

In fairness you could say that about everyone on the list and similarly you could apply it to every club not just United.

Ibra
    Pro. F wrote: »
    I've watched a sh!t load of Villa over the years (I lived in Spain for a while and watched la liga all the time, although I didn't see him live). I just think Torres is better. Villa edges the goal stats very slightly. But when I watch them Torres just impresses me a tiny bit more. They're both lethal finishers, great technique and crazy pace. Choosing between them is very marginal. If you go by goal ratio then you give it to Villa. If you go by what your instinct is from watching them, then it can go either way and I don't see any reason to criticise people's choices as if everybody is only being swayed by Andy Gray's sh!te hawking.

I wasnt criticising any of the more frequent posters here, as it stands to reason that the follow a lot more la liga than the average football fan. BUT, the average fan certainly does rate Torres higher because Sky do (and all the coverage he/liverpool/premiership gets) and that brings in herd mentality and confirmation bias which will skew reasonable analysis.

edit: Need to rephrase this.

Torres
    I wasnt criticising any of the more frequent posters here, as it stands to reason that the follow a lot more la liga than the average football fan. BUT, the average fan certainly does rate Torres higher, so do Sky and that brings in herd mentality and confirmation bias.

Don't sky show just as much La Liga as they do the Premeir League?

Ibra
    Don't sky show just as much La Liga as they do the Premeir League?

No way.

Include the bias in Soccer Saturday.

Sky promote the Premiership a hell of a lot more. Then there is BBC, RTE PREMIERSHIP soccer saturday. etc etc.

Its not even close the level of coverage the English league gets compared to la Liga.

Thats not a bad thing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Torres

Thats a load of bull and anyone who disagrees with it is an idiot, Rooney was clearly the driving force behind united in the last 3 seasons it was his and as much as it pains me to say it ill include Tevez's combined determination that won us so many games, the games and goals Ronaldo scored were mainly when we were already winning, Rooneys determination was what won us most of these games, if he hadnt kept pushing in those games heads would have dropped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Adebayour
    Drogba is better, people just hate him because of the diving. Understandable.

The love for Torres is strange. He is class but nowhere near being miles better than the rest as the poll suggests.

Ibra
    CHD wrote: »
    Drogba is better, people just hate him because of the diving. Understandable.

The love for Torres is strange. He is class but nowhere near being miles better than the rest as the poll suggests.

Agree.

Id say Drogba is better than Torres too, but for different reasons (less quantfiable) than why I think Villa is better.

If I had the money, I'd buy Drogba/Rooney and any of Villa/Torres/Etoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Torres
    niallith wrote: »
    would havto be torres from that list, amazing player in every way ,which he proved with his great goal vs UTD.

My point example, not only should this thread only contain premiership strikers due to the lack of european football knowledge in comparison to the premiership on this board, it is stupidly timed and i dont think the OP would have started the poll had not sundays events unfold in such a favorable way for the OP.

Stupid Thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Adebayour
    I'd plump for Drogba on his day, he's unmarkable at times.
    Current form would say Ibra

Rooney
    curry-muff wrote: »
    Thats a load of bull and anyone who disagrees with it is an idiot, Rooney was clearly the driving force behind united in the last 3 seasons it was his and as much as it pains me to say it ill include Tevez's combined determination that won us so many games, the games and goals Ronaldo scored were mainly when we were already winning, Rooneys determination was what won us most of these games, if he hadnt kept pushing in those games heads would have dropped

So I went through all the premier league matches in 2007-2008 and here's a list of Ronaldos important goals.

away at Birmingham 29/09/07 1 goal in 1-0 win
    away at Arsenal 3/11/07 2nd goal in 2-2 draw
    home at blackburn 11//11/07 2 goals in 2-0 against Blackburn
    gome to fulham 3/12/07 2 goals in 2-0
    Home to everton 23/12/07 2 goals in 2-0 win
    home to portsmouth 30/01/08 2 goals in 2-0 win
    home to Bolton 19/08/08 2 goals in 2-0 win to bolton
    away to Boro 6/04/08 1 goal in 2-2 draw
    home to Arsenal 13/04/08 1 goal in 2-1 win
    away to wigan 11/05/08 1st goal in 2-0 win, last game of season

Ronaldo was the most important player in Uniteds best season, how that doesn't make him one of the most important players ignoring the other 3 seasons I don't know. He had 6 more goals in the league then Rooney last season as well, I'm sure they were all when united were already winning or else because Rooney was shouting him on or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Torres
    ha ha, self important much stevo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Torres
    podge018 wrote: »
    ha ha, self important much stevo?

No.. never said i was more knowledgable than anyone else, just this forum as a whole is far more supportive of the Premiership and only a minority follow closely european leagues(myself NOT included).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Rooney
    Torres is a great player. In truth, he's wasted at Liverpool. I'd love to see what he could do at a bigger club. He should really move, sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

Ibra
    defo villa, he's a quality player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ibra
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    moving on from a discussion in the Utd thread.

some seriously good strikers in world football at the minute.

who would be your pick? (poll to follow)

You voted for Torres ? Dun be greedy you can't have two in yore team. ;)

Poll seems wasted to peeps who have some of those players in their teams already, no ?

What is the basis for this poll anyway ?
    Best forward/striker in last 1/3/5 years or since Torres signed for Liverpool ?

Last year would be Villa/Torres/Drogba for strikers imo.
    Last 3 years would be Etoo/Villa/Drogba for strikers imo.
    Last 5 years blah blah blah.

5 strikers and 2 forwards in a list of ? Seriously like are we all supposed to vote for Torres disregarding the stats which show us better strikers over the last 1/3/5 years ? Yes Alan we love Torres but until Villa stops scoring he won't be statiscally as good as him .

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Ibra
    I would choose the best striker in the world, David Villa, for my team.

Edit: wow really surprised how much Torres is winning this poll by

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Rooney
    I would choose the best striker in the world, David Villa, for my team.

Edit: wow really surprised how much Torres is winning this poll by

Im not surprised at all. He is pure class. He has been struggling with injury for a while now and he still can score some fantastic goals like the one he got against utd last weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Adebayour
    I have seen this said so many times now that it makes me chuckle. His goal wasn't fantastic! It was a good goal, thats it!

Rooney
    CHD wrote: »
    I have seen this said so many times now that it makes me chuckle. His goal wasn't fantastic! It was a good goal, thats it!

It was fantastic because of who it was against ;)

Good finish too..

• Advertisement
Advertisement