Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who would you want in your team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Rooney
    Torres. Much as I hate Liverpool, he is the best striker in Europe atm. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Rooney
    CHD wrote: »
    I have seen this said so many times now that it makes me chuckle. His goal wasn't fantastic! It was a good goal, thats it!

IMO i think it was fantastic. He made a perfectly timed run and held off Ferdinand (who is supposed to be world class but that is a discussion for another thread) and smashed it past Van Der Sar from a tight angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Drogba
    Rooney, his determination and work rate, plus a lot of technical ability makes him my choice.
    Torres a close second, he's just pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rooney
    So I went through all the premier league matches in 2007-2008 and here's a list of Ronaldos important goals.

away at Birmingham 29/09/07 1 goal in 1-0 win
    away at Arsenal 3/11/07 2nd goal in 2-2 draw
    home at blackburn 11//11/07 2 goals in 2-0 against Blackburn
    gome to fulham 3/12/07 2 goals in 2-0
    Home to everton 23/12/07 2 goals in 2-0 win
    home to portsmouth 30/01/08 2 goals in 2-0 win
    home to Bolton 19/08/08 2 goals in 2-0 win to bolton
    away to Boro 6/04/08 1 goal in 2-2 draw
    home to Arsenal 13/04/08 1 goal in 2-1 win
    away to wigan 11/05/08 1st goal in 2-0 win, last game of season

Ronaldo was the most important player in Uniteds best season, how that doesn't make him one of the most important players ignoring the other 3 seasons I don't know. He had 6 more goals in the league then Rooney last season as well, I'm sure they were all when united were already winning or else because Rooney was shouting him on or something?

I would agree with you that Ronaldo was the main driving force behind United's success in two of the past 3 seasons but would dispute that he was the main driving force last season. The fact that Giggs was named the PFA Player of the Year and Vidic named United player of the year surely highlights that. Remember too that in the early stages of the season after the "will he go, won't he go" Madrid saga Ronaldo was quite a pain in the hole acting more temperamental than normal and for a short period being quite a liability. That's not to say he wasn't eventually a huge element in the title win because he was, but it's contentious to say he was the most important player overall. I don't think he was myself.

In fairness I think you do Rooney a disservice here by citing such stats. It would be akin to someone bringing up the stats for United during their 1998/99 season and trying to downplay Roy Keane's influence by saying he didn't score many goals or provide a lot of assists. Bottom line is he was nonetheless the main driving force in terms of the way he lifted the team and inspired those around him, whether the stats reflect that or not. Rooney did this role last season, even if the stats don't wholly reflect that. He was forced out wide to be the 'supporting cast' if you like yet he was still able to steal the show on many an occasion.

Returing to this topic, I'm not surprised Torres is winning out as he is proven in La Liga and the Premier League as well as at international level. I remember some people foolishly doubting his ability prior to the Euro 2008 final but I tipped him to fire Spain to the trophy. World class players produce the goods when called upon and Torres does exactly that. Best striker in the world at the moment I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rooney
    I would agree with you that Ronaldo was the main driving force behind United's success in two of the past 3 seasons but would dispute that he was the main driving force last season. The fact that Giggs was named the PFA Player of the Year and Vidic named United player of the year surely highlights that. Remember too that in the early stages of the season after the "will he go, won't he go" Madrid saga Ronaldo was quite a pain in the hole acting more temperamental than normal and for a short period being quite a liability. That's not to say he wasn't eventually a huge element in the title win because he was, but it's contentious to say he was the most important player overall. I don't think he was myself.

In fairness I think you do Rooney a disservice here by citing such stats. It would be akin to someone bringing up the stats for United during their 1998/99 season and trying to downplay Roy Keane's influence by saying he didn't score many goals or provide a lot of assists. Bottom line is he was nonetheless the main driving force in terms of the way he lifted the team and inspired those around him, whether the stats reflect that or not. Rooney did this role last season, even if the stats don't wholly reflect that. He was forced out wide to be the 'supporting cast' if you like yet he was still able to steal the show on many an occasion.

Returing to this topic, I'm not surprised Torres is winning out as he is proven in La Liga and the Premier League as well as at international level. I remember some people foolishly doubting his ability prior to the Euro 2008 final but I tipped him to fire Spain to the trophy. World class players produce the goods when called upon and Torres does exactly that. Best striker in the world at the moment I would say.

I agree, it's a lot closer from last season. However I still think the giggs award was a joke and he simply didn't deserve it. Tbh the only reason I brought it up was because curry-muff claimed that anyone who didn't think Rooney was the main driving force behind United was an idiot and then claimed ronaldo's goals weren't even that important to United it was just to much for me to ignore, I mean he single handledly account for 17 points in that season. I agree he's an important driving force but I'd argue that's a role Tevez could fill. While Boogles might be happy with the way things turned out if I was a United fan I'd be 100 times happier with Ronaldo and Tevez on my team + £50m for selling Wayne Rooney(you'd probably even get more then that). I think this season Rooney is far more crucial to United success then any of the last 3 seasons because if you lose Rooney you've too rely on two of the laziest ****ers in football to score your goals and drive the team on, slim to none of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

What No Jermaine Beckford???? are the lower leagues excluded from this poll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Adebayour
    SarahBM wrote: »
    What No Jermaine Beckford???? are the lower leagues excluded from this poll?
    Players who aren't world class are ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rooney
    on his day i think Drogba would have gotten my vote in this, he really is unplayable when he is in the mood. however, i think Torres edges it on attitude & the fact that he is more consistant imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney
    Vanbis wrote: »
    I think Ronaldo, Ferdinand Scholes, Giggs and VDS have had just as much influence as Rooney.

Scholes and Giggs haven't even been regular starters. No way have they been as important as Rooney.

Ronaldo and Rooney were United's most important attacking players over the last three seasons. The weight of responsibility in defence was probably more evenly shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Torres
    curry-muff claimed that anyone who didn't think Rooney was the main driving force behind United was an idiot and then claimed ronaldo's goals weren't even that important to United it was just to much for me to ignore

Well theres a misquote if ever i seen one, you should work for a newspaper, i didnt say that Rooney was the sole reason or saviour, i was just annoyed that you claimed that
    he still wasn't even close to being United most important player though, not sure how you even came up with that one.

I didnt say Ronaldo wasnt important, he was our most important player of course but you saying that Rooney wasnt even close to being uniteds most important player is just plain wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Rooney
    Well the OP says 'Striker', as opposed to 'Forward', not sure if that was intentional or not. For me the difference is that a striker is more about sticking the ball in the net, whereas a forward is a more all round player.

Anyway, went for Torres based on that.

United fan here and from the wording in the poll and OP, I went with Torres. He's the best "striker" in the world at the moment IMO. But if I was looking for a forward, it'd be an entirely differrent matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rooney
    curry-muff wrote: »
    Well theres a misquote if ever i seen one, you should work for a newspaper, i didnt say that Rooney was the sole reason or saviour, i was just annoyed that you claimed that

I didnt say Ronaldo wasnt important, he was our most important player of course but you saying that Rooney wasnt even close to being uniteds most important player is just plain wrong

I don't think it wrong. Ronaldo, vidic and Ferdinand I'd have ahead of him with Carrick and VDS being arguable ahead. I think with Tevez you had a nearly like for like switch for Rooney, with the players I mentioned I think finding a replacement would of been far more difficult. Fair enough, it just that this whole quote doesn't exactly seem like a glowing reference for Ronaldo considering you mention Rooney and Tevez ahead of his then claim Ronaldos goals were mainly scored he games yous were already winning.
    Thats a load of bull and anyone who disagrees with it is an idiot, Rooney was clearly the driving force behind united in the last 3 seasons it was his and as much as it pains me to say it ill include Tevez's combined determination that won us so many games, the games and goals Ronaldo scored were mainly when we were already winning, Rooneys determination was what won us most of these games, if he hadnt kept pushing in those games heads would have dropped

Rooney
    I don't think it wrong. Ronaldo, vidic and Ferdinand I'd have ahead of him with Carrick and VDS being arguable ahead. I think with Tevez you had a nearly like for like switch for Rooney, with the players I mentioned I think finding a replacement would of been far more difficult.

I presume it's the last three seasons we're talking about. There were obviously differences between each season. Tevez wasn't very important last season but he was the season before for example. United fans recognise Rooney's contribution over the whole of last season as being more important than Ronaldo's. Vica versa in the season before.

VDS is the keeper so it's pointless including him in the discussion. Very few teams can do well without their first choice keeper.

To say Carrick might have been more important than Rooney when he wasn't even a regular starter is laughable.

You say Tevez was a like for like replacement for Rooney. He was a very similar type of player but he was only ever a pale imitation of Rooney. The team has always missed Rooney's absence as much as Ronaldo's and more so than Vidic/Ferdinand's.

Overall, over the three years, Rooney and Ronaldo in attack, Vidic and Ferdinand in defence is maybe the most fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Adebayour
    Eto'o Unquestionable strike record, fantstic striker and Torres has yet to outshine him for me

Villa He is a genuine class act and i have been harping on about him for a long time now, for me he is the superior player but its probably too close to call in reality

Ibra A genious, I would still have him in my team ahead of Torres

Torres Absolutely fantastic striker and well on the way to being the best in the world, if he keeps up his form.

Rooney Hand on heart he has never lived up to the potential he showed when he was first on the scene, I'd have them both in my team but if i had to choose just one then the goal threat Torres gives would tip it.

Drogba He has got everything, and sometimes the right attitude! My number 1 pick for a premier league striker

Adebayour Talented striker, very dislikable! In a head to head with him and Torres i would probably choose Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Adebayour
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    United fan here and from the wording in the poll and OP, I went with Torres. He's the best "striker" in the world at the moment IMO. But if I was looking for a forward, it'd be an entirely differrent matter.

there is a huge difference between being the form striker in the English league, and being the best striker in the world mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Toss up between Drogba and Torres and then Villa a close third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Obviously I voted for Ade out of pure bias, however I do genuinely think that on his day there's no one better. In the game against Arsenal he was simply unplayable for that defence. His run from his own half had everything - power, pace, skill, poise.....

I always liked him as a player at Arsenal and couldn't have asked for a better man to lead our forward line. He's pure class.

As for the rest, Ibra is too hit and miss for me. Torres is lethal and I really like him, but I think I'd rather play against him than an in-form Drogba.

Rooney is a crackin player as well but in a different mould to the rest so it'd be hard to pick him in amongst such talented 'strikers'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Rooney
    kryogen wrote: »
    there is a huge difference between being the form striker in the English league, and being the best striker in the world mate

I understand that but the question is being asked now and at this moment in time ther is nobody in the world who'll put the ball in the net better than him.

If you had Eto'o or Drogba without the drama, they'd be amazing. If you had Ibra with someone for him to use his magic with, he would. Rooney has more ray talent than any of them IMo and will definitely be the most committed and hard-working. Adebayor is pure class too but is a bit like Eto'o and Drogba but more unproven.

Right now, I can't see how someone can name a better "striker" in the world than Torres. Villa would be his closest contender, actually tough to choose between the two but I'd take Torres because of his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Torres
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Obviously I voted for Ade out of pure bias, however I do genuinely think that on his day there's no one better. In the game against Arsenal he was simply unplayable for that defence. His run from his own half had everything - power, pace, skill, poise.....

I said it at the time he was a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Torres
    Today in my honest opinion proves it takes more than scoring to be a good striker, Torres undoubtedly scored a very good strikers finish, on the other hand Wayne Rooney worked tirelessly untill his side won the game, only once the final whistle sounded did he take a breather, he worked and worked until his side got what they deserved knowing that one chance may not be enough for him, there lies the difference between him and torres, Torres may only need one chance but Rooney will work tirelessly to make that chance for himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Torres
    Ibrahimovic is definitely the most naturally talented on that list, but the fact that he has a poor CL record will always work against him. He is the hardest working of all those strikers too bar Rooney and Eto'o (but I think he is better than Rooney is every other facet of the game really). Ibrahimovic is probably the best on that list at holding up the ball, and is capable of doing something jaw dropping and out of this world. He is also arguably the best free kick taker on that list. Also, people will always call him overrated and a big match bottler, but you just have to see what he has won over his career to see that is nonsense - 5 Serie A titles, 2 Dutch titles, 1 Dutch league cup, I'm not sure if he won a Coppa Italia or something with Juve... Might have done.

Rooney is the only player on that list who imo couldn't function as the sole CF on that list. He is the most tireless of the players on that list, but I really REALLY don't rate him as highly as most people on here do. He strikes me as a player with incredible natural footballing ability, but it seems he is playing in the wrong position or something, I really don't think he is good enough to be considered in the top 5 strikers in the world today. His goal scoring record is as erratic as Eto'os, but he doesn't score as much. He's very streaky, will score 6 goals one month and then go two without another. It's not good enough if he is the only striker your team.

Villa is imo still better than Torres, Villa is the most consistent striker on that list, and is the best finisher. The fact of the matter is, if you want pure goal scoring prowess, then Villa will score more that any of the others. He is also well capable of dropping back and being involved in build up play. Plus he shoots a nice free kick on occasion. Villa imo is that bit better than Torres, and the perfect example is for Spain, Torres does quite well for his country, whereas Villa is a monster. 13 goals in 14 matches for Spain last year says it all really.

Torres is also an excellent finisher, probably the second most instinctive finisher on the list. Torres is better at holding up the ball than Villa, and would be better at hassling defenders with his strength (although not as good as Ibra, Drogs, or Adebayor). Torres in the past two years has arguably turned himself into the most complete CF in world football. He is very good at everything from aerial ability, to performing on the big occasions. He is however not the best of those strikers at being involved in build up play, and imo that's why he is so effective for Liverpool (they don't rely too much on patient silky passing), and is less effective for Spain (especially compared to Villa).

I also don't rate Drogba as highly as most on here. I've watched him regulary for years now, and I really think he was only ever in the top 3 strikers in the world once, the season Jose didn't win the PL. He was an animal that season, and had absolutely EVERYTHING (he was literally the very definition of the perfect striker). I think it was against Everton that season he scored an absolutely outrageous screamer. He is FARRRRRR too inconsistent otherwise though, he has only broke 20 goals in a season once with Chelsea (He'll do it again this year imo). Currently he is playing very well, but with Drogba you're only one game away from him doing something absolutely retarded, or one game away from him just getting fed up in general. His form and temperament is more erratic than the stock exchange.

Adebayor is a CF in the same mould as Drogs, big, strong, quick, and excellent at holding up the ball/ bringing team mates into the game. The thing that goes against Adebayor is his finishing, he will consistently score goals, but only in a team that can consistently create chances for him. Torres and Villa are capable of putting away the once chance they get in a game, imo Adebayor isn't. He misses farrrrr too many easy chances (like Rooney) for him to be considered a deadly finisher. He makes up for it with everything else though, he's probably the 2nd quickest striker on the list. He is also very complete, but if I was going for that mould of CL I'd still pick Drogba and Ibrahimovic over him everytime. They are just better imo.

Finally, Eto'o, the player I'm most acquainted to on that list. Samu is absolutely incredible, his goal scoring record is the most impressive of all those players. I love everything about him, he is literally a ball of energy. He works tirelessly every game, he has even admitted he prefers closing down and pressuring opposition than he does scoring goals. Samu is capable of scoring absolute blinders inside the penalty area, but he doesn't score that many spectacular goals. He'll score you at least 20 goals every season if he is fit, fact. The thing is, he is very streaky, he'll score 10 in 5 games, and then not score in the next 5. So you can't solely rely on him as your outlet for goals. People will always remember his ability to score in big games, against Real Madrid, 2 CL finals, etc. But the thing is, as vital as those goals were (and my god were they vital), there are other important games where he was literally anonymous, eg- every other knockout game of the CL last season he was pretty much atrocious, against Madrid in the Bernabeu when they trashed them 6-2. He was the best striker in world football last season up until christmas, but was essentially terrible after that. However, he is a lion, and would improve any team in world football with his presence.

Although I will say this, let's do this poll again at the end of this season, and I'd love to see how many more people will vote for Ibra. ;) He'll be seen as the best striker in world football by the end of next year, you can quote me on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney
    Rooney - number one choice frontman, no chance.

Rooney as a number one support striker to the best striker in the world Torres? oh yes please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Torres
    Ibra.
    By a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Drogba
    Picked Rooney, Ibra and Torres would have been very close. How Adebayor even has a vote escapes me, hes a level below the others.

Rooney
    Today in my honest opinion proves it takes more than scoring to be a good striker, Torres undoubtedly scored a very good strikers finish, on the other hand Wayne Rooney worked tirelessly untill his side won the game, only once the final whistle sounded did he take a breather, he worked and worked until his side got what they deserved knowing that one chance may not be enough for him, there lies the difference between him and torres, Torres may only need one chance but Rooney will work tirelessly to make that chance for himself
    In fairness to Torres it's not like he's a lazy player.

tbh there's no point in comparing the two anyway. They're totally different types of players. Everything that Rooney has over Torres (work rate, link up play) is mirrored in what Torres has over Rooney (pace, finishing). They play completely different games to each other. Torres is a center forward who's best asset is scoring goals, whereas Rooney is a supporting striker who's best asset is pretty much everything that supports scoring goals.

Criticising a goal scoring cf when he scores lots of goals is pointless imo. Criticising a supporting striker because he doesn't score as many goals is also pointless imo.

I really don't think Rooney should be on this list, he should be compared to the likes of Messi, Gerrard, Lampard, Tevez, Mutu. Players who play best just off a centre forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rooney
    Adebayor gets a nod but van Persie doesn't?
    Shenanigens!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

You could make a case for six of the seven on the list . No way should Adebyor even be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Adebayour
    Has to be Drogba, he has a bit of everything that makes the other strikers great and is the best at what he does, his overall contribution to team in attack and defence when needed cant be emphaised enough, you can lump a ball at him and he will take it down or win the the flick on 9/10 times and if you play it in behind he has the pace and power to go past people and finish.

When he stays on his fee,t and if any of you have seen him play this year you will know that he hasnt gone down nowhere near as easy as he used to, he is i believe to be the best around but only just, you cannot look past Torres ability to get a goal of nothing with his pace and intelligence he has a close second, I rate Eto'o very highly and was hard to seperate these 3 players, and indeed the list thats available, i suppose it goes down to what he would be doing in the team and who he would have around him.

1. Drogba
    2. Torres
    3. Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Ibra
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic is definitely the most naturally talented on that list, but the fact that he has a poor CL record will always work against him. He is the hardest working of all those strikers too bar Rooney and Eto'o (but I think he is better than Rooney is every other facet of the game really). Ibrahimovic is probably the best on that list at holding up the ball, and is capable of doing something jaw dropping and out of this world. He is also arguably the best free kick taker on that list. Also, people will always call him overrated and a big match bottler, but you just have to see what he has won over his career to see that is nonsense - 5 Serie A titles, 2 Dutch titles, 1 Dutch league cup, I'm not sure if he won a Coppa Italia or something with Juve... Might have done.

Rooney is the only player on that list who imo couldn't function as the sole CF on that list. He is the most tireless of the players on that list, but I really REALLY don't rate him as highly as most people on here do. He strikes me as a player with incredible natural footballing ability, but it seems he is playing in the wrong position or something, I really don't think he is good enough to be considered in the top 5 strikers in the world today. His goal scoring record is as erratic as Eto'os, but he doesn't score as much. He's very streaky, will score 6 goals one month and then go two without another. It's not good enough if he is the only striker your team.

Villa is imo still better than Torres, Villa is the most consistent striker on that list, and is the best finisher. The fact of the matter is, if you want pure goal scoring prowess, then Villa will score more that any of the others. He is also well capable of dropping back and being involved in build up play. Plus he shoots a nice free kick on occasion. Villa imo is that bit better than Torres, and the perfect example is for Spain, Torres does quite well for his country, whereas Villa is a monster. 13 goals in 14 matches for Spain last year says it all really.

Torres is also an excellent finisher, probably the second most instinctive finisher on the list. Torres is better at holding up the ball than Villa, and would be better at hassling defenders with his strength (although not as good as Ibra, Drogs, or Adebayor). Torres in the past two years has arguably turned himself into the most complete CF in world football. He is very good at everything from aerial ability, to performing on the big occasions. He is however not the best of those strikers at being involved in build up play, and imo that's why he is so effective for Liverpool (they don't rely too much on patient silky passing), and is less effective for Spain (especially compared to Villa).

I also don't rate Drogba as highly as most on here. I've watched him regulary for years now, and I really think he was only ever in the top 3 strikers in the world once, the season Jose didn't win the PL. He was an animal that season, and had absolutely EVERYTHING (he was literally the very definition of the perfect striker). I think it was against Everton that season he scored an absolutely outrageous screamer. He is FARRRRRR too inconsistent otherwise though, he has only broke 20 goals in a season once with Chelsea (He'll do it again this year imo). Currently he is playing very well, but with Drogba you're only one game away from him doing something absolutely retarded, or one game away from him just getting fed up in general. His form and temperament is more erratic than the stock exchange.

Adebayor is a CF in the same mould as Drogs, big, strong, quick, and excellent at holding up the ball/ bringing team mates into the game. The thing that goes against Adebayor is his finishing, he will consistently score goals, but only in a team that can consistently create chances for him. Torres and Villa are capable of putting away the once chance they get in a game, imo Adebayor isn't. He misses farrrrr too many easy chances (like Rooney) for him to be considered a deadly finisher. He makes up for it with everything else though, he's probably the 2nd quickest striker on the list. He is also very complete, but if I was going for that mould of CL I'd still pick Drogba and Ibrahimovic over him everytime. They are just better imo.

Finally, Eto'o, the player I'm most acquainted to on that list. Samu is absolutely incredible, his goal scoring record is the most impressive of all those players. I love everything about him, he is literally a ball of energy. He works tirelessly every game, he has even admitted he prefers closing down and pressuring opposition than he does scoring goals. Samu is capable of scoring absolute blinders inside the penalty area, but he doesn't score that many spectacular goals. He'll score you at least 20 goals every season if he is fit, fact. The thing is, he is very streaky, he'll score 10 in 5 games, and then not score in the next 5. So you can't solely rely on him as your outlet for goals. People will always remember his ability to score in big games, against Real Madrid, 2 CL finals, etc. But the thing is, as vital as those goals were (and my god were they vital), there are other important games where he was literally anonymous, eg- every other knockout game of the CL last season he was pretty much atrocious, against Madrid in the Bernabeu when they trashed them 6-2. He was the best striker in world football last season up until christmas, but was essentially terrible after that. However, he is a lion, and would improve any team in world football with his presence.

Although I will say this, let's do this poll again at the end of this season, and I'd love to see how many more people will vote for Ibra. ;) He'll be seen as the best striker in world football by the end of next year, you can quote me on that.

Super post and I agree with everything except that Eto's goal scoring record is the most impressive. Villa's career goals scoring is better than eto's, albeit marginally.

Also, looking through other posts and anyone who doesnt have Villa in at least the top 3 strikers doesn't really have a clue.

Ibra
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Adebayor gets a nod but van Persie doesn't?
    Shenanigens!
    destroyer wrote: »
    You could make a case for six of the seven on the list . No way should Adebyor even be considered.

Van Persie is made of ryvita. Not nearly consistent enough to be considered really.

I think Ade is a super player and very underrated amongst the greater football public tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Rooney
    Benzema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rooney
    Van Persie is made of ryvita. Not nearly consistent enough to be considered really.

I think Ade is a super player and very underrated amongst the greater football public tbh.

I'd rather Van Persie tbh; Ade is good on his day but his poor attitude lets him down

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Rooney
    Torres, followed by Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rooney

I disagree and think the opposite in fact. I'd have Van Persie every day of the week and feel his great season last year went largely unnoticed by most.

Van Persie's major problem has been his fitness but I think since last season that seems to have been sorted out and for the past three seasons in spite of his problems he's still had a 1 in 2 goals per game league ratio as well as providing plenty of assists.

If we compare him in the league to Adebayor the past few seasons...

2006/07:

Van Persie - 22 apps / 11 goals / 7 assists
    Adebayor - 29 apps / 8 goals / 4 assists

2007/08:

Van Persie - 15 apps / 7 goals / 3 assists
    Adebayor - 36 apps / 24 goals / 4 assists

2008/09:

Van Persie - 28 apps / 11 goals / 10 assists
    Adebayor - 27 apps / 10 goals / 7 assists

Van Persie has pretty much matched or bettered Adebayor's goals-per-game ratio despite not being an out-and-out type forward player like Adebayor. In 05/06, Adebayor was better but I feel both have come on since then. In 07/08, Adebayor had an immense season but Van Persie was missing for most of that.

Adebayor on his day can be a nightmare but I think Van Persie offers more to a team and I would say is more consistent.

I could easily see Van Persie heading to La Liga if Arsenal finish without a trophy this season and I reckon he'd be a far more devastating loss to Arsene Wenger than Adebayor.

In my view the only forwards I'd rate above him from this list are Torres, Villa, Rooney and Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love to have Villa or Torres at my club

Ibra
    I think Van Persie is a fantastic player. Has a sweet left foot.

But he is plagued by injury, thats why I would take Ade over him. His goal/game ratio might be the same but he needs to be out on the pitch and that cant be guaranteed given his history.

If he wasnt injured as much as he was Id pick RVP though. I like his style of football more so than Ades but thats just opinion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Rooney
    Haven't been a big fan of Robin in recent seasons but his injuries look to be behind him now and he is playing very well at the moment. 8 goals and 6 assists in 13 appearances so far this season, 20/13 in 42 last season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Rooney
    No Van Persie in your poll renders it invalid.

Rooney
    in fairness lads, i'm a massive-massive-massive fan of Van Persie, but he has some way to go before he is comparable to the above lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness lads, i'm a massive-massive-massive fan of Van Persie, but he has some way to go before he is comparable to the above lads.

Like Adebayor? Seriously?

• Advertisement

Rooney
    adebayour has stayed fit for full seasons & banged in 20+ goals.

I reckon 75% of people would choose Van Persie over Adebayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rooney

Van Persie is definately better than Adebayor as an all round player. As for teh others on the list, I'd say the majority of the players on the list are better, but definately not Adebayor.
    edit: for the record, I voted for Torres, with drogba as a close second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He cost about 2.5 million. Torres was about 30 million, Rooney about 32 million, etc etc.

For that alone he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as those in this poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Adebayour
    i f*cking love Torres, obviously, but i chose Drogba for this.

purely because the concept of Drogba and Torres in the same line up is terrifying, and worth a bit of daydream about.

and anyway...drogba, in the mood and in form, is as scary as they come, Torres included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ibra
    Villa. El niño just gets injured too much, but still Villa.

Drogba this year has been sensational. Probably one of the top 3 players in every game he has played. Scoring, creating and dominating Chelsea's attack, if he keeps it up it looks like his best season in England so far.

I haven't actually voted, I can't decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Adebayour
    ha, i completely mis-read this...
    JPA wrote: »
    Drogba this year has been sensational. Probably one of the top 3 players in every game he has played. Scoring, creating and dominating Chelsea's attack

as this.
    JPA wrote: »
    Drogba this year has been sensational. Probably one of the top 3 players in every game he has played. Scoring, cheating and dominating Chelsea's attack

:D

SlickRic wrote: »
    ha, i completely mis-read this...

as this.

:D

um, you can read it either way. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Adebayour
    Drogba.

Advertisement