Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22/23/24 inch Monitor.

Options
  • 30-10-2009 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I didn't want to hijack somebody elses thread and I've got one or two specific needs, so here we go.....

I've been putting off building a new PC for a while now. I've been busy. ish. That and I'm quite fussy. Which slows things down. Anyway, I'm going to start looking in to it seriously and I'm starting with a monitor.

I want one that i can use to watch TV on (and the picture will look good). I have cable in my room (NTL). However I am unsure about whether to get 1) a monitor with a built in tuner, 2) a montior and a separate tuner box or 3) a monitor and a PCI tuner card with my PC. Can somebody please advise which would be better in terms of picture quality - that is, if there's a difference. I know some TV tuner cards provide DVR functionality, this is not essential to me. Also, I am aware that terrestial transmissions will be moving from analog to Digital (MPEG4?) and this will need to be factored in.
    Ideally I would like to use it for playing PS3 too. Games and perhaps the odd blu-ray/DVD from time to time. So that would mean a resolution of at least 1920 * 1080, and HDMI input.

Sound is another issue. Built in speakers aren't nessesary because I have a decent stereo (but no amp) that will take L and R channels from the PC. I can't use optical from PS3 but i think that can be connected directly to the stereo via L and R on the AV connection. I'll double check. Sound for watching tv is the head scratcher. Does anyone know what to do if i opt for a monitor without built in speakers?

I was in PC World the other day and thought the 22inch LG they had looked a bit small. I put this down to the 16:9 aspect ratio. Hence, 16:10 will be considered as long as the resolution is above 1080p (i.e. 1920*1200). I don't mind putting up with black bars for tv/gaming as 16:10 will mean the screen is taller anyway.

This one komplett seems to be a good staring point http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=431103. I prefer to have DVI in as well. Budget is ~150. Reason why I chose not to go for a tv with DVI in is down to cost.

Any help and advice appreciated!

Comments

Advertisement