Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sighting in .22 LR rifle

Options
  • 30-10-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I mostly a shotgun man myself....just use the .22 rifle for rabbits & vermin during the summer. I haven't had the rifle out for ages so decided to take it out yesterday to have a few shots and sight it in.....last time I was sighting it in I'd it nearly done but had to abondon it as started pouring rain and became very windy.

Fired at target at 75 metres and it was okay on height but was shooting about 2 inches to the right. As a breeze had risen from left to right I decided to leave the adjustment for a calm day as it'd be difficult to adjust accurately with the wind.

After that decided to practice some shots at 25 and 50 metres to practice hold under and at 100 metres to practice hold over. After a good few shots, when practicing at the 100 metres I noticed that the shot was not as accurate, moving more to the right and about one inch high.

I went back to the 75 metre target and the same thing....about inch high and three inches to the right!

The rifle is a Savage hunting (not target) rifle and I'd fired about 60 shots at this stage. I'd left the rifle cool for about five minutes every ten shots. THe rifle is fitted with a Parker - Hale moderator. I was firing Eley Sub-sonic Ultra. (not cheapest ammo)

My questions are:

1. Is this normal for a hunting rifle if firing so many shots?

2. Should I allow more time for it to cool down / fire less shots?

3. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

4. Is this a sign the rifle needs to be cleaned? It had fired about 200 shots since last being cleaned. I've cleaned it now but haven't had a chance to test it with the weather.

Any advice / comments / suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

i had a savage 22lr,and it did not like Elly subs at all try some cci's or Remington :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

J.R. wrote: »
    Hi,

My questions are:

1. Is this normal for a hunting rifle if firing so many shots?

Depends on the rifle, Calibre , Barrel type, Bolt action or Semi Auto.

2. Should I allow more time for it to cool down / fire less shots?

Yes

3. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Yes

4. Is this a sign the rifle needs to be cleaned? It had fired about 200 shots since last being cleaned. I've cleaned it now but haven't had a chance to test it with the weather.

Any advice / comments / suggestions welcome.

Safety warning !

Do not allow anyone forward of the rifle,
    without first unloading and proving clear !

Putting on the safety catch is not the same thing

To zero any rifle you should clean it first,
    and then fire a fouling shot and work from there,
    the logic being that you want the barrel clean,
    but not without a fouling shot unless you intend to clean after each shot.

You dont say if its iron sights or telescopic sight,
    check everthing is tight on the rifle no movement between action and stock, no loose sight mounts etc.

Take off the moderator and clean it too,
    in the first instance zero without the mod on the rifle.

Get a clear calm day (good luck with this at the moment)
    pick the ammo you want to use in your rifle,
    stick with the same ammo exactly,
    similar is not the same,
    if you change you will have to re-check your zero.

Start with a safe backstop and large piece of cardboard for a target,
    with a 1 inch or 25 mm coloured sticker as your point of aim,
    start at twenty five yards or metres,
    whichever you prefer measure it with a range finder or a tape,
    dont step it out and say thats near enough,
    if you want accuracy take the time to do it right.

Have eveything you need to adjust the sights within reach,
    You need to zero the rifle in the shooting position that you will shoot it in, prone, sitting, off hand, try to support the rifle with sand bags or rest bags, old socks filled with dry kids play from a toy shop sand will work, so it wont move between shooting a sighter and making sight adjustments, or you will chase your shots around the target, if you can, have someone else check you hits with binos,
    so you don't have to move too much between shots and adjustments.

if you get the windage and elevation right at twenty five,
    you should just have to adjust elevation to set your hunting zero at whatever you want within reason, after you are shooting point of aim at twenty five try the mod and see if it shifts point of impact.

Regards,
    Dvs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

very helpful dv, maybe that could go up in the tip section,,
    if you dont mind how would you clean a moderator for a .22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

ronn wrote: »
    very helpful dv, maybe that could go up in the tip section,,
    if you dont mind how would you clean a moderator for a .22

When you shoot a rifle with a moderator fitted, all that burnt powder and corrosive gas residue is left in the moderator, either stuck to the baffles or loose in the body.

These can start to corrode the moderator from the inside out, and if the moderator is left on the rifle and put away standing upright, the moisture and corrosive mixture can and will migrate down into the first section of the barrel. If the rifle is left unshot for a while, then pitting and rust to the internal surface of the bore will occur.

Wear a pair of surgical gloves that you can buy cheap in euro shops,
    as I said some nasty stuff can be trapped in the moderator.

The moderator, if it is a sealed unit, can be gently knocked on a piece of timber covered with a rag on a table-top to loosen any residue debris, then before you put it away or back on a rifle, you should oil the interior surfaces to help eliminate corrosion.

You can use light gun oil, which leaves a fine protective film residue. Yes, the first couple of shots will smoke, but better that than a rotten moderator. If your moderator comes apart, disassemble it, but make sure you take some photos of how it comes apart, so you can re-assemble it correctly, and wipe out any moisture and clean off residual burnt powder and lightly lubricate it.

If you do not clean and maintain your moderator you are asking for trouble,
    at the very least you will shorten the life of the moderator.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

can i ask what your sight is??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Dvs.........thanks for that.....very helpful & informative. I've cleaned the gun & moderator and am waiting for the next fine, calm day.

newby.204 wrote: »
    can i ask what your sight is??

Not sure if it's me you're asking or not but the scope I've on it is a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5 - 20 X 50 AO on the Savage .22LR. The rifle is a left - handed bolt action.

Advertisement