Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cello/violin double bass advise?I need help!

• 30-10-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have just after buying a cello, already having problems, as I started tuning the pegs wouldnt stay in the same position, they kept turning back tuning it down, so even if I do get the string on the note it goes straight out as soon as I play it, and i was looking up videos on youtube about tuning and they say if your slightly tuning up or down to use the fine tuners at the bottom...... mine has none, like it was 400, I dont get it and need help cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Try a search here, or register and post your question.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have a cheap violin, and the trick is to PUSH IN the tuners at the same time as you turn the tuning pegs. Otherwise the pegs will just move back to their previous position as there is no pressure on the peg to hold it in position.

there are more than three videos on youtube telling how to tune a Cello, have you looked at all of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

As JonathanAnon said push the pegs in as far as you can till they get a grip. If they do not fit properly you may have to get them sized to fit, you can buy fine tuner parts online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Chalk might help.

Please don't kill me if this destroys your cello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

blubloblu is nearly right. Take out the pegs apply rosin(hard sticky stuff you rub on the bow) around the part of the peg that fits into the head. This adds the friction needed, i did it on my violin when i used to play it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Farolina81

Careful with the rosin. It may make the pegs sticky so you can't turn them! Chalk normally works fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

+1 with Harley, I also used rosin on mine once and it made peg's worse :rolleyes:

Thats_Glass it isnt always easy to do, if you have teacher maybe ask them to show how they would do it, incase you make it worse ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Farolina81

I've used chalk on a number of different violins and it's worked fine. The worst that can happen is that you need something stronger because of larger pegs but it won't do any damage.

Advertisement