Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good restaurants in Westport

• 30-10-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Staying in Westport for a couple of nights in November and looking for a good, reasonably priced restaurat. Have eaten in the Lemon Peel before and while the food was good, it was outrageously expensive. Maybe things have changed since. I know that there are a couple of Italian restaurants there. What are they like? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

From italian cousine I can advice "Il Volcano" or "Enoteca"
    In il volcano they serve lovely italian style pizzas...
    In enoteca you can eat some other kind of italian food.
    Last time I had tagliata di manzo - which are marinated beef slices... really tasty.

In both places you'll spend about 20 euros for a meal and glass of wine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Port Mór is also nice. Eat there in last few weeks and food was lovely. Do a google for the phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Suggestions much appreciated. Googled An Port Mor ad it looks good but I'd say it is quite expensive judging by their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

where r u staying in Westport?
    We're just back from a wedding there,we stayed for 4 nights and i have to say the food in the restaurant in the Westport Plaza was as good as we've had anywhere in the last few years.(and we eat out a lot in Dublin/Wicklow)
    Definitely check it out at least once as they have a special on every night i think it might be €25 for 2 courses,it was fab everytime

Staying in Wyatt Hotel in the octagon for a couple of nights and I know the Westport Plaza having stayed there last year. Found the food there at the time as being okay, nothing special, so things must have improved. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I forgot the Plaza, LOVELY food.

They do an early bird in An Port Mor so that might be an option. Then again I am sure they all do early bird :)
    Enjoy ur stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

The Helm down by the Quay is quite good and fairly reasonable, Port Mor worked out about €50 pp when I was there last and that was with a good bit of wine.
    For difference you could try Everest its a Nepalese restuarnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bgerry

Have been to both The Helm and Everest both are very good. Have not been to Port Mor yet. Mangos is also very good visit their website for the menu. Good range of food served. I know they do an early bird too. Ring in advance day before or so and find out whats on. The early bird menu changes. Enjoy the break in Westport its a lovely spot.

bgerry wrote: »
    Have been to both The Helm and Everest both are very good. Have not been to Port Mor yet. Mangos is also very good visit their website for the menu. Good range of food served. I know they do an early bird too. Ring in advance day before or so and find out whats on. The early bird menu changes. Enjoy the break in Westport its a lovely spot.

Thanks for that. Well familiar with Westport but previously it was mainly hotel food and we want to get away from that a bit and sample a couple of the restaurants. All advice good and taken on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Just coming in to say I also recommend The Helm. Nice pint in there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 no money mo pro

CiniO wrote: »
    From italian cousine I can advice "Il Volcano" or "Enoteca"
    In il volcano they serve lovely italian style pizzas...
    In enoteca you can eat some other kind of italian food.
    Last time I had tagliata di manzo - which are marinated beef slices... really tasty.

In both places you'll spend about 20 euros for a meal and glass of wine.

Enoteca is my favourite restaurant in westport, it's really nice. go there if you like italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I love Sol Rio on bridge street. Excellent food and always good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 orangelilly25

i'd second mangos as a recommendation....haven't been there in a while but the food is lovely and its always packed at weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Defeats the question but I think the best resturant in the area is Hudsons pantry in Louisburgh , limited menu but 100% all the time .no hit and miss .
    In Westport Port Mor is ace and Sage on high st it also excellent, both of these stand out as they are consitent .
    A lot of hit and miss with food in Westport ,cocky chefs who serve oven/frozen chips and steam reheated food and charge thru the nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mum23

The Lemon Peel used to do an early bird menu( 5pm to 7pm )and prices were very reasonable for the high quality of food served.
    I think maybe around 25euro per head( or less ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

The Helm The Helm The Helm its lovely fresh fresh fish and lovely food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i'd second mangos as a recommendation....haven't been there in a while but the food is lovely and its always packed at weekends

mangos is very nice, heard only good things about hudsons pantry in louisberg, havnt tried it yet though. quay cottage is also pretty good.

dont forget BT for after the castle, they do a great dysentery-cheese chips which goes down well after a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭afatbollix

dec25532 wrote: »
    Staying in Westport for a couple of nights in November and looking for a good, reasonably priced restaurat. Have eaten in the Lemon Peel before and while the food was good, it was outrageously expensive. Maybe things have changed since. I know that there are a couple of Italian restaurants there. What are they like? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

One of the best restaurant in Ireland I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I ate in Sol Rio a few weeks back. Found it lovelyfood, nice atmosphere and friendly staff and quite reasonable. Steak about 25 and a pasta dish about 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

Not in the centre of Westport, I know, but I just love the Sheebeen. It's well worth the €8 taxi fare from the town. They were Michelin recommended last year and the food is really great. Very reasonable too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

MotteDai wrote: »
    The Helm down by the Quay is quite good and fairly reasonable, Port Mor worked out about €50 pp when I was there last and that was with a good bit of wine.
    For difference you could try Everest its a Nepalese restuarnt
    I like the area down by the Quay. Lovely for a daylight walk.
    This link shows most of the restaurants in Westport.
    http://www.restaurants.ie/Town/Westport/
    We soon hope to have menus loaded.
    We are also developing an iPhone App where people will be able to see menus + special offers in iPhone.
    We would be delighted with feedback.

Advertisement