Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on writing up experiments?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

I'm feeling a bit stumped about how I should start, any ideas?

Should the diagram show all of the apparatus in use. Is the layout pretty much the same as in secondary or is there more depth to it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Trying to remember back to my lab days...

Start with an introduction explaining the theory.

Then move onto the materials, list them all - be pedantic.

Then the method; what you actually did. This section should explain everything clearly so someone with an understanding of the concept and terminology would be able to do the experiment easily. Almost like a cooking recipe.
    Oh yes, one very important thing, never you the word "I" in this section. Always say, for example, "the beaker was placed over the bunsen burner for 60 seconds" as opposed to "I placed the beaker over the bunsen burner for 60 seconds". That's something that really annoys them.

Then go onto your results, explaining what results you got and if they differed from what is expected, why they differed. If you made any mistakes explain them here, you wont get marked down for mistakes if you acknowledge and explain them. Include any diagrams or data that is necessary, labelled clearly.

Then finish up with a conclusion.

It depends on lectures as well, some like them laid out or done in certain ways but I think this would be a reasonable place to start. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone, it's been a few years since I did my labs in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I can send you my old one if you want? ;) Is it the Back titration one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Larianne wrote: »
    I can send you my old one if you want? ;) Is it the Back titration one?

Mines better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I don't mind! We did the acid base titration and metal acid displacement reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Past tense past tense past tense! I got slaughtered for the imperative and the "I" word in my first write up. lol

Also don't plagerise your lab manual it'll lose you serious marks:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Usually about 40% of the marks are for your introduction/conclusion where you explain the theory so don't just scribble two lines for your conclusion. If the experiement didn't go as planned or exactly as it should have in theory, explain why in the discussion. Labs are quite easy marks in first year.

Advertisement