Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists and Pedestrians

Options
  • 30-10-2009 7:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Remember all those grievances we have about the state of the roads, footpaths, cycle paths, abandonded vehicles on designated bike/pedestrian facilities, failure to clean up broken glass/debris often enough (cleaning happens more often on roads than bike paths), badly resurfaced footpaths after contractors dig them up, safe bike parking spaces, cycle paths that stop abruptly, motorists getting priority at all times, safe crossings at roundabouts, street furniture restricting access... ∞

Well now the time has come to air your views, the old biddy responsible for ensuring safe movement of the populace aka Galway City Council will have an open day next Saturday:
    Walking and Cycling Strategy"
    To identify the existing barriers to walking and cycling in Galway, a consultation event will be held at Eyre Square Shopping Centre on Saturday November 7th from 10am to 4pm.

Please go along and make the powers that be aware of your concerns.
    In addition there is a survey at the above link on relevant issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Yeah, but will there be an opportunity for the public to bitch about cyclists going the wrong way on a one way street or bombing it in pedestrian areas of the city centre. This forum should also be about cyclists' behaviour as well as their gripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

dec25532 wrote: »
    Yeah, but will there be an opportunity for the public to bitch about cyclists going the wrong way on a one way street or bombing it in pedestrian areas of the city centre. This forum should also be about cyclists' behaviour as well as their gripes.

that would be a police matter. there are no fines for dangerous cycling so the guards cannot enforce any law in this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Well, you can be issued with a summons to appear court at least and your bike held in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there are signs about the city saying that cyclists are officially treated the same as motorists, i.e they have the same responsibilities, presumably the same rights.
    until politicans are lobbied this will never be the case.

the rules of the road, of which the avergae cyclist has no idea are not always practical. i cycle on the footpath especially in woodquay. there is no room otherwise. i used to tap on the window and ask the driver for a little space, but when i saw the guards themselves not giving the required 1.5 space for cyclists )not entirelz possible when zou have three lanes at woodqauz and barelz space for two) i despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

i am going to go along and voice my opinion.i jog,cycle and drive in this lovely city of ours and i feel that conditions for all three to be poor.in a city where a few simple thought out measures might not solve the problem but would go a long way to improving them -lighting,surfaces,unlowered kerbing,poor signage,litter, .there's loads more but il save them for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I've been driving a car in Galway for about 15 years, as well as cyclying only during the brighter months of April to October. In previous years, outside those months, I've stored my bike at home. Anyway, last January I decided to invest in a new mountain bike, lighting, etc. I've been astounded by the ignorance of motorists towards cyclists over the past ten months.

I've nearly been knocked down or killed at least six times this year by motorists who don't seem to know how to use their indicators or are blinded to a bike, even if I am fully illuminated with luminous clothing and front and rear lights.

I'm not normally an angry person, but Galway motorists make me very angry in terms of their attitude towards cyclists ... even if I'm one of them myself.

They should give cyclists credit for keeping the numbers of cars down, for not polluting the atmosphere for their kids, for being healthy, but instead they treat cyclists as though they've no right to be on the roads.

And the Galway City Council are a disgrace. Those signs at the traffic lights are a joke. It's simply not safe to cycle in this town and when you see what they have done in places on the continent, in terms of designated cycle lanes, they should hang their heads in shame.

Advertisement