Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to get swine flu vaccination in Sligo?...think again [false alarm]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Just wondered whether you had chased the Public Health Office relevant to Sligo with regards to your concerns. Wasn't it listed within the link as below? Did you get any feedback?
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Public_Health/

Alternatively, the Immunisation Department in Markievitz House , they may have some insight into procedure, and/or be some sort of vehicle to feedback to what you saw also.

The number is listed as 071 91 55 148.

I suppose my concern would be to clear up or report anything as soon as possible. They are supposed to be rolling this thing out on Monday and have started in the region already.

There is potentially alot of people with underlying health problems, with kids with underlying health problems, or pregnant women that may be very concerned bout what you saw.
    Swine flu can have very serious rebercussions for them (as I am sure you know) especially if they decided to "opt out" of getting a vaccination that could potentially save them.

There sadly has already been one girl from Sligo, that has died from this in the region. :(
    Good luck and look forward to hearing anything else on this.

Tuppence

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

id swine flu, its not all that bad.... ive had worse normal flus over the years.

It appears to be the luck of the dice how it even effects a healthy person. Are you asthmatic, have CF, pregnant, or on immune suppressants etc it certainly seems to be effecting vulnerable people to a more serious extent. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

I logged in specifically to thank you, Peasant! Well done-there's no flies on you!

I'm very wary about this vaccine, manufactured only within 13 weeks!! I've read alot about it, and there's no way my family or I will be getting it.

Once again Peasant, Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

If you won't take this flu jab - and thats what it is - a flu jab - you probably shouldn't take any other flu jab - or least that should be your thinking - a new flew jab is bought out most years in the same kind of timeline as this new one and millions of people take a flu jab every year - to test every flu jab to the extent of a new drug would take years - I can assure you the active ingredients in this and any other flu jab will have been tested to the nth degree in the past - I cannot believe this flu jab is any different from any other flu jab in every other year - perfectly safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Mayoegian wrote: »
    This is a vaccine for a flu that is different from your normal flu-Swine Flu. The flu vaccinations you are talking about undergo rigorous testing and are developed quickly, but one thing's for sure, it's not developed in 13 weeks! Reiteration is necessary on this, that Swine flu is NOT the same as normal flu.

Swine Flu is a variant of normal flu (if there is such a thing) and so a vaccine can be developed for it by substituting some ingredients. It doesn't need an entire new vaccine to be developed. Here's an excellent blog post by a Doctor and boards poster (tallaght01, I believe). Spreading misinformation such as the above post is dangerous in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Taking a drug that has not undergone appropriate testing can be dangerous in the long run too.

It has undergone the appropriate testing. Did you read the blog? If you have any further concerns I suggest you either PM tallaght01 or post in the Swine Flu Vaccine thread in the Health Science forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tuppence wrote: »
    Just wondered whether you had chased the Public Health Office relevant to Sligo with regards to your concerns. Wasn't it listed within the link as below? Did you get any feedback?
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Public_Health/

Alternatively, the Immunisation Department in Markievitz House , they may have some insight into procedure, and/or be some sort of vehicle to feedback to what you saw also.

The number is listed as 071 91 55 148.

This being the weekend I didn't get anyone on the phone

I'll try again on Monday and will report back

Nice one. Best to, as you can give them the full details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Taking a drug that has not undergone appropriate testing can be dangerous in the long run too.

FFS this drug is no different from any other flu vaccine in terms of safety of testing if you dont want to take it then don't, but don't scaremonger about it. I couldnt give a toss if you take it or whether you or your whole family get the flu, there is plenty of safe medical opinion about this flu jab this is the MMR scare all over again.

• Advertisement

right ...update:

I rang the dept. of public health in Ballyshannon and was given a number in Sligo to ring.

There I spoke to a Dr. Ryan. The jist of the conversation was that he didn't know about the transport arrangements either, that indeed it would be a concern if the cold chain had been broken, but it may well be that the containers themselves (if not the van) were chilled.
    He is going to relay my concern to the poeple who deal with the swine flu vaccine distribution and if he hears anything he will call me back.

He has my name and my number ...I will let you know if and when I have further info.

update no 2:

Got a call back from Dr Ryan and he told me the following:

According to the people in charge, no parcel service was used to deliver the vaccine.

He thinks that what was delivered probably were other immunisation campaign paraphenalia, either consent forms, or possibly even the syringes and needles that are to go with the vaccine.

So ...it all sounds like false alarm ...sorry folks for creating a stir.

The same parcel delivery guy was just here again and I asked him what it was that he delivered. He said he was told it was vaccine but he doesn't actually think so anymore himself

Advertisement