Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Shannon Pullout

Options
  • 30-10-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

It was just announced at the end of the six one news this evening that Ryanair are pulling 75% of their routes from April 2010. The reason given was that Shannon Airport weren't willing to meet Ryanair's demands on a new five year contract.
    This is another blow for the region on the back of pull outs from other airlines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Don't believe everything, just because the aircraft are going it won't stop them operating the same routes from ryanairs other bases and airports.

Ryanair are turn coats, stopping and starting routes like luton and hahn, thay won't lose out on any euro.

Anyway other airlines won't fell a threat anymore and might actually fly to shannon now...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This is more a treat to the Government to drop the €10 tourist tax.

The Government will likely offset the cost of the operation to ensure the services remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bring in easyjet and have real competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

phog wrote: »
    Bring in easyjet and have real competition.

the we cross easyjet and ryan air, with both their lists of not to do, we have anew baby airline which we can call con air

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

old boy wrote: »
    the we cross easyjet and ryan air, with both their lists of not to do, we have anew baby airline which we can call con air

Do we not already have that airline in Ireland?:p

aer-lingus-plane-tail.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

O'Leary truly is the boy that cried wolf and he does it on a weekly basis these days. He's always trying to get something for nothing. He bullies every airport in Europe and some stupid ones (like the canaries) give in to the bully boy tactics. Journalists in the Irish media should stop giving him free PR all the time. The best thing to do with a bully is ignore him.

Ryanair added flights, shannon to lanzarote, that started this week. Flights were being sold on the Ryanair website with a departure time of 11am . After they sold lots of flights they changed the departure time to the actual departure time - 6am. Who wants to get up at 3am in the morning for a flight. This kind of unscrupulous behaviour is standard practice in Ryanair.

Shannon Airport is better off without Ryanair

bmm wrote: »

What about the 150 jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Ryanair added flights, shannon to lanzarote, that started this week. Flights were being sold on the Ryanair website with a departure time of 11am . After they sold lots of flights they changed the departure time to the actual departure time - 6am. Who wants to get up at 3am in the morning for a flight. This kind of unscrupulous behaviour is standard practice in Ryanair.

You are kidding me? While I am no fan of O'Learys, Shannon needs everything it can get. 150 jobs, 1.5 million visitors, yeah, who neeeds 'em.....? Dont let a unon anti-Ryanair mindset take away from the importance of regualr services to & from Shannon/mid-west. I dont see another operator filling even half those routes. Wake up.

And speaking of waking up..... many many people will happily get up at 3/4 am to go for a weeks holiday i lanzarote. Personally i prefer early flights so you get to your sun/ski resort relatively early. Especially when its €50 cheaper than the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Berty wrote: »
    What about the 150 jobs?

Flight crew and cabin crew can transfer to another base -no losses
    Servisair staff were on reduced hours anyway
    Airport services/shops still open

There will be very few direct and indirect job losses over this.

Flight crew and cabin crew can transfer to another base -no losses
    Servisair staff were on reduced hours anyway
    Airport services/shops still open

There will be very few direct and indirect job losses over this.

:confused:

Ryanair carry almost half (1.5m) of Shannons passengers. I dont see other operators making up those num,bers. So, tell me, how does an airport lose 1/3-1/2 of its passengers and a majority of its routes and not lose jobs as a result. It makes no sense.

And that is before you consider the wider effect on tourism etc..

year passengers
    2003 2.5
    2004 2.5
    2005 3.3
    2006 3.5
    2007 3.6
    2008 3.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

We need descent quality jobs with an employer who treat their staff with respect . Not bully boy employers who treat their staff like sh1t .

O'Leary treats his employees like sh1t for good reason. He wants high staff turnover so he doesn't have to pay pensions etc.

I'm prepared to pay more for my flights if i can get better service.

It's hard work trying to figure ways to get around Ryanairs new trickery. On a weekly basis Ryanair are finding new ways of making peoples journeys a misery by penalties for this and extras for that.

Imagine the comfort of going to the airport comfortable in the knowledge that you won't be penalised for having hand luggage the wrong shape.

If every company was like Ryanair we'd spend our lives being duped and conned by ever changing extra charges and penalties.

We need descent quality jobs with an employer who treat their staff with respect . Not bully boy employers who treat their staff like sh1t .
    O'Leary treats his employees like sh1t for good reason. He wants high staff turnover so he doesn't have to pay pensions etc. .

I need a reversal of my recent pay cut and a 30% bonus this year - im not sure I will get either though!
    And Ryanair dont pay pensions whether their staff stay for a year or 20 years. My understanding was that employers just had to make a pension scheme available but didnt need to pay into it.
    I'm prepared to pay more for my flights if i can get better service.

It's hard work trying to figure ways to get around Ryanairs new trickery. On a weekly basis Ryanair are finding new ways of making peoples journeys a misery by penalties for this and extras for that.

Imagine the comfort of going to the airport comfortable in the knowledge that you won't be penalised for having hand luggage the wrong shape.

Once the plane flies from A to B on time and safely, I dont give a damn. Same as the bus. And its entirley clear to anyone who can use a computer what costs what on Ryanair. And just buy a bag that fits in Ryanairs cabin allowance. It really is quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Are you for real?? The following is a list of all current scheduled flights from Shannon

Aer Lingus[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
    Boston, Dublin, London-Heathrow, New York-JFK
    Air Transat
    Toronto-Pearson [seasonal]
    Continental Airlines
    Newark
    Delta Air Lines
    New York-JFK [seasonal][18]
    Ryanair
    Alicante, Birmingham, Bristol, Brussels South-Charleroi, Carcassonne [seasonal], Edinburgh, Faro, Girona, Glasgow-Prestwick, Krakow, Lanzarote, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Liverpool, Lodz, London-Gatwick, London-Stansted, Málaga, Milan-Orio al Serio [seasonal], Murcia [seasonal], Nantes [seasonal], Palma de Mallorca [seasonal], Paris-Beauvais, Tenerife-South, Venice-Treviso [seasonal] Wroclaw

Now remove 75% of the ryanair flights and we have a completly deserted airport, 1.5m less visitors to the midwest and and 150 more people on the dole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

O'Leary treats his employees like sh1t for good reason. He wants high staff turnover so he doesn't have to pay pensions etc.

To be honest, I think that the 150 people that are losing their jobs would much prefer to be working for Ryanair for a weekly salary (by the way Ryanair are supposed to be decent payers) than joining the dole.

The argument that the staff can transfer to other bases is crazy. Those planes will be moved to some European destinations. The Irish staff are not going to pack up their lives and move to God knows where in Europe, possibly learn a new language so they can keep their job.

Yes the shops will be open.............for awhile. No customers means no business which means loss of jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Whatever you think of O'Leary we've all flew from Shannon on flights that we would never have before, this is a disaster for both Shannon and Limerick, simple as....

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Whatever you think of O'Leary we've all flew from Shannon on flights that we would never have before, this is a disaster for both Shannon and Limerick, simple as....

Agree but should Shannon let Ryanair bully them into having his flights there at his prices? Shannon should go out to the other low cost airlines and try to get them to use Shannon as a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 robd55

Have they anounced what flights are being lost yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

If Easyjet, BMI Baby, Flybe or Aer Arran can be tempted to set up base there with a quality section of routes it would be great. If they can't we are fupped.

jmccoy wrote: »
    If Easyjet, BMI Baby, Flybe or Aer Arran can be tempted to set up base there with a quality section of routes it would be great. If they can't we are fupped.

Virgin Airways did and Shannon refused to lower their prices so they picked up sticks and never looked back.

As Shannon is operated by DAA they may assume that if they lower prices in Shannon then they must in Dublin also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Berty wrote: »
    Virgin Airways did and Shannon refused to lower their prices so they picked up sticks and never looked back.

As Shannon is operated by DAA they may assume that if they lower prices in Shannon then they must in Dublin also.

That was Virgin Express. They ceased operations shortly afterwards- Separate to the current Virgin Atlantic.

EUjet operated a nice little operation from Shannon, they claimed to have made some amount of money, was a shame they were in a poor financial situation

• Advertisement

drkpower wrote: »
    :confused:

year passengers
    2003 2.5
    2004 2.5
    2005 3.3
    2006 3.5
    2007 3.6
    2008 3.1

If these are the passenger numbers from Ryanair then either he wont pull out or if he does then Shannon should have little problem getting another low cost airline to land there, I'd guess most wouldn't be bothered trying while Micko is around but if ups and leaves for Cork or Kerry then it might just make them think again.

He'll only be a big loss if another carrier doesn't come to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

All Ruinair will do is reverse its sectors thus not needing a base in Shannon. So instead of passengers in Girona boarding a flight that has come from Shannon. It will be people in shannon boarding a plane that has come from girona.

O Leary is no fool. I was on a flight from Carcasonne last week that was full as was the flight I took out to Girona.

What I want to see is Shannon taken off the DAA and allowed to compete directly against Dublin for business. With the pre clearance and the better facilities now in place in Shannon I dont see why they should be strangled by the DAA who lets be honest dont give a fiddlers about the Shannon Region.

sioda wrote: »
    All Ruinair will do is reverse its sectors thus not needing a base in Shannon. So instead of passengers in Girona boarding a flight that has come from Shannon. It will be people in shannon boarding a plane that has come from girona.

But he's hardly goning to fly in an empty plane just to fill it in Shannon, surely, the plane will arrive from somewhere with passengers on it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

drkpower wrote: »
    You are kidding me? While I am no fan of O'Learys, Shannon needs everything it can get. 150 jobs, 1.5 million visitors, yeah, who neeeds 'em.....? Dont let a unon anti-Ryanair mindset take away from the importance of regualr services to & from Shannon/mid-west. I dont see another operator filling even half those routes. Wake up.

I agree with that 100%!! This government is so out off it and has little regard for the West, so they'll be yelling "We won't let O'Leary bully us!", as Ryanair pulls out of Shannon and another 150 jobs go and 1.5 million visitors go. I agree and I don't want to be bullied, but sometimes you have to bite your tongue and give in, especially considering the state of the economy and the West is getting the worst of it. If Shannon was in Dublin or better yet Offaly, I think Cowen would be singing a different tune. As I said, I don't believe in giving in to bullies, but if the bully is twice your size and death is the only alternative and this is the situation considering the current financial state of the country, sometimes you just have to bend over. But no, Fianna Fail will continue to sing "I won't be bullied" as the West goes down the loo!!

KetchupKid wrote: »
    I agree with that 100%!! This government is so out off it and has little regard for the West, so they'll be yelling "We won't let O'Leary bully us!", as Ryanair pulls out of Shannon and another 150 jobs go and 1.5 million visitors go. I agree and I don't want to be bullied, but sometimes you have to bite your tongue and give in, especially considering the state of the economy and the West is getting the worst of it. If Shannon was in Dublin or better yet Offaly, I think Cowen would be singing a different tune. As I said, I don't believe in giving in to bullies, but if the bully is twice your size and death is the only alternative and this is the situation considering the current financial state of the country, sometimes you just have to bend over. But no, Fianna Fail will continue to sing "I won't be bullied" as the West goes down the loo!!

At a guess I'd say most Offaly people would prefer the journey to Shannon than Dublin airport so the dig at Cowen is just that.

BTW, if Ryanair gets his way with airports and reduces the landing charges how do people think the airports will survive - charge us the travelling public more for use of their services. He has aleady affected their profits by reducing the waiting times at airports and now with only one carry on bag there is less and less "duty free" shopping being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

But he's hardly goning to fly in an empty plane just to fill it in Shannon, surely, the plane will arrive from somewhere with passengers on it?:confused:

Sorry it will fly full from girona so they have to get up at all hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

At a guess I'd say most Offaly people would prefer the journey to Shannon than Dublin airport so the dig at Cowen is just that.

Sorry, but your wrong on that one, check your Geography. Tullamore to Shannon is 152Km and 2-1/2 hours, where the trip to Dublin Airport is only 108Km and with the new road it's only 1-1/2 hours. I have friends in Tullamore and they all say it's a lot handier to go to Dublin, check Google Maps.

It's not just a dig, but a fact! All those fat f-ers would let the West crash and burn, they don't care. As far as O'Leray, reduced revenue in Shannon is a lot better than none at all!

KetchupKid wrote: »
    Sorry, but your wrong on that one, check your Geography. Tullamore to Shannon is 152Km and 2-1/2 hours, where the trip to Dublin Airport is only 108Km and with the new road it's only 1-1/2 hours. I have friends in Tullamore and they all say it's a lot handier to go to Dublin, check Google Maps.

It's not just a dig, but a fact! All those fat f-ers would let the West crash and burn, they don't care. As far as O'Leray, reduced revenue in Shannon is a lot better than none at all!

I wasnt talking about KMs. I'm talking about time spent in traffic and queues at the airport, ask anyone in the midlands, check holiday flights next time you're on one and you'll find if theres a similar flight out of Shannon then the majority from the midlands will travel to Shannon rather than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

This threat is a smokescreen for Ryanair's current difficulties. The truth is that they have been found out as was recently described "they are not as cheap as they would like to pretend but the nastiness makes them feel cheap".

The vast majority of people I know would fly Ryanair if they've got no other choice. In Ireland and the UK it has become clear that the only way they can fill flights is to put on offers - so today you can see they are expecting another massive loss in the 2nd half of this year despite fuel prices being very low. So they have to move the bases elsewhere where people have not yet realised how badly they will be treated. At some stage they will run out of bases to turn to. At the same time they need someone to blame for their losses i.e. Irish & UK govts, BAA and DAA.

For me this is the best news for Shannon I've heard in a long time. If there is indeed the market for 1.5m passengers one of the other low-cost airlines will move in and will treat both employees and customers with a bit more respect. Celebrations all round...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    ...For me this is the best news for Shannon I've heard in a long time. If there is indeed the market for 1.5m passengers one of the other low-cost airlines will move in and will treat both employees and customers with a bit more respect. Celebrations all round...

I think pretty much the opposite. If Ryanair pull out Shannon is doomed.

Advertisement