Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Shannon Pullout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I think pretty much the opposite. If Ryanair pull out Shannon is doomed.
    +1

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

I think if Ryanair pulled put of Shannon it would be a disaster. I don't see why some people are so anti Ryanair, in my opinion it is one of the best things to happen to Ireland in the last 15 years. I've been to places I would have never been able to afford to visit if Ryanair hadn't been created. As for all the anti Michael O'Leary sentiment, if every company in Ireland was run as well as Ryanair half of them wouldn't be going bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 barrycork

If they do as they say and cut all the european routes why the heck can you still go online at this moment and book a flight for next summer,will they issue refunds, knowing them they will have some clause that you will only get ten percent back or something like this......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

barrycork wrote: »
    If they do as they say and cut all the european routes why the heck can you still go online at this moment and book a flight for next summer,will they issue refunds, knowing them they will have some clause that you will only get ten percent back or something like this......

They don't seem to know what they are cutting yet, they seem to be using Shannon as a bargaining tool to have this travel tax removed. Even still it takes a few days to work a new schedule out. I'd say hold off a week or so if you are booking flights to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

I agree, if Ryan Air pulls out, Shannon is doomed. It' strange, I hear so many people giving out about RyanAir, and although they aren't the greatest airline in the world, I'd take them before Aer Lingus. In my opinion, Aer Lingus is incorporating all of Ryanairs tricks and hidden fees, but despite that many of their base prices are still very high. It make me laugh how Aerlingus now bills itself as the "Low cost Airline", what a joke. Say what you want about RyanAir, but if you play the game right, i.e. don't check bags, no meals on plane (why bother all Airline food is terrible anyway), book online, etc. you still get a very inexpensive flight. Aerlingus is incorporating many of the same policies, but many of their prices seem to be getting higher. With RyanAir, you get what it says on the tin, not the case with Aerlingus, maybe that's why RyanAir is still able to turn a profit.

Finally, Shannon airport is a key part of infastructure needed for the West, with no flights out of Shannon, the West will be doomed. That's why we should of had a National Airline to save that key Infastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 critical alp

I agree that the DAA authority should be removed from Snn so they can make their own decisions. Right now, it is a personal vendetta between MOL and the Daa with Snn being used as a pawn. I think shannon is a wonderful airport with bags and bags of potential if we could remove this FAS style management! If Snn loses Ryanair the whole West coast will suffer enormously, as if we're not already suffering!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

KetchupKid wrote: »
    I agree, if Ryan Air pulls out, Shannon is doomed. It' strange, I hear so many people giving out about RyanAir, and although they aren't the greatest airline in the world, I'd take them before Aer Lingus. In my opinion, Aer Lingus is incorporating all of Ryanairs tricks and hidden fees, but despite that many of their base prices are still very high. It make me laugh how Aerlingus now bills itself as the "Low cost Airline", what a joke. Say what you want about RyanAir, but if you play the game right, i.e. don't check bags, no meals on plane (why bother all Airline food is terrible anyway), book online, etc. you still get a very inexpensive flight. Aerlingus is incorporating many of the same policies, but many of their prices seem to be getting higher. With RyanAir, you get what it says on the tin, not the case with Aerlingus, maybe that's why RyanAir is still able to turn a profit.

I really don't understand this. I have been flying on a weekly basis from Belfast to London for work for close to two years now. Every time I book (usually 5 or 6 weeks in advance) I compare the costs of flights between FR from Belfast City to Stansted (although this doesn't really suit me) and EI from Belfast International to Heathrow. On every occasion I have booked EI have been cheaper - last week (booking for early December) EI were £100.38 return including card fee and one bag while FR were £138.63 for the same (with online check-in, one bag, card fee - more than £38 of a difference even without the extra charges FR will try to hit me with.

My few attempts with FR were awful with delays and cancellations being the order of the day every Friday evening.

Also although FR are promising 1.2m passengers to SHN they have only delivered 600k so far - a little bit of exaggeration perhaps???

Much better, in my opinion, if SHN get EI back in with lower fares, much better Customer Service and a bit of common decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

2 points.
    1. Ryanair are a private for profit company. They owe the shannon region nothing and are perfectly within their rights to pull out 100% if they want to. Its business people!
    2. Until Shannon get away from the DAA and become independent, its in trouble. Cork will surpass it as the second airport within 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I fly regularly with Ryanair to the UK and I have never had a problem with them. We all know the rules on weight limits and size restrictions on hand luggage.......the problems only arise when people don't read the t&c's on the website/tickets!!! Also - I have to say as a regular traveller, the staff are always courteous and what's more, they seem to stay with the airline as I have seen the same people over & over again.

This will be devestating for the region if they pull out........and ok he might reverse some of the routes & relocate some of the staff, but there will be job losses!! As someone pointed out, they are providing the vast majority of flights and passengers in and out of the airport. We will be left with no connections to anywhere soon.

I think the travel tax has to go........it was a stupid time to bring it in - we need to be encouraging as many people as possible into the country.....not discouraging them. And the DAA need to get their noses out of Shannon & let them make their own business decisions. There are other ways for the airport to make money......they could rent out more retail space/restaurant space etc......that way you might actually have a choice of what to eat/drink in the airport. That's what happens in everyother airport, but no, in Shannon we still have very limited choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    KetchupKid wrote: »

I really don't understand this. I have been flying on a weekly basis from Belfast to London for work for close to two years now. Every time I book (usually 5 or 6 weeks in advance) I compare the costs of flights between FR from Belfast City to Stansted (although this doesn't really suit me) and EI from Belfast International to Heathrow. On every occasion I have booked EI have been cheaper - last week (booking for early December) EI were £100.38 return including card fee and one bag while FR were £138.63 for the same (with online check-in, one bag, card fee - more than £38 of a difference even without the extra charges FR will try to hit me with.

My few attempts with FR were awful with delays and cancellations being the order of the day every Friday evening.

Also although FR are promising 1.2m passengers to SHN they have only delivered 600k so far - a little bit of exaggeration perhaps???

Much better, in my opinion, if SHN get EI back in with lower fares, much better Customer Service and a bit of common decency.

Would totally agree, EI are a much better airline that FR will ever be!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

opa01_2000 wrote: »

Where in Belfast do you fly from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I've gone anywhere decent that Ryanair fly to from Shannon. Hopefully someone new will come in and open different routes. Seriously though, Ryanair have said that Shannon was a loss maker for the group year on year. Ryanair are one of the biggest players in worl aviation at the moment. If they can't make Shannon Airport pay I can't see many other smaller airlines coming in to take their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Government says it will hold talks with Ryanair to discuss the travel tax.
    If the tax was removed it would call Ryanair's bluff who have said that removal of the tax would save the Shannon routes.

http://breaking.tcm.ie/business/govt-to-talk-to-ryanair-about-travel-tax-433216.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Where in Belfast do you fly from?

Belfast International

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

This saddens me!! I fly usually twice a month between Shannon and Stansted. There used to be 4 flights daily from each airport with Ryanair, and it's now been cut to 2- either ridiculously early or the latest possible.

I love Ryanair, and think O'Leary is a fantastic business man. I've never had any problems with them!!

Though if they leave Shannon, there's always Knock. It'd be a terrible loss to Shannon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well the government did say on Friday that they are going to review the travel tax... its a start

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Emphasis on "review". This is our government we're talking about after all.:(
    I think after all is said and done our esteemed leaders will hold us in awe after their exhausting review:rolleyes:.

I see as of yesterday 10/11/09 ryanair have taken off all of there flights to Europe off ther site so you can no longer book a flight out of Shannon It looks like the threat to pull out has materialised........

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

Plenty of flights available to malaga still,wow good price .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bandearg

absolutely p%ssed off with Ryanair right now, myself and my partner are getting married in Spain next June and have booked flights for ourselves and guests and none of these flights are now showing, i rang Ryanair customer service and all they could tell me was that the flights are 'suspended' until further notice...when i asked for a full refund i was told none would be given at the moment as even though flights are 'suspended' they are still 'valid' i.e. havent been cancelled...have you ever heard so much crap in your life? So basically I was told to keep checking the website for updates...how long can I keep checking the website?? Until I get an email a week before my wedding to say the flights were cancelled?

I wouldve previously been a fan of O Learys but when your on the receiving end of this extremely unorthodox, irratic and poor service you wouldnt be either! Treating passengers as pawns in this argument with Shannon, he has a brass neck on him, should be ashamed of himself.

• Advertisement

I also booked flights for june next year and after contacting ryanair through their premium rate call centre have been told that the flights are still going although they and many others have been removed from the website what are they playig at. i was told that any cancelation would be notifeid by e-mail a couple of months before.So much for booking in advance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I hadnt booked my flights for next year yet thank god. I usually book them in january..it now looks like my route will be through Stnadted

Depart Shannon 6:45am on Wednesday
    Arrive Stansted 08:00am

Depart Stansted 12:00
    Arrive Murcia 15:30

Depart Murcia on Sunday 11:45am
    Arrive Stansted 13:25
    Depart Stansted 18:45
    Arrive Shannon 20:05

Thats a long days travelling to get to Spain....

Here is hoping another provider will enter contract with shannon for these routes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well I can almost say for certain that the one route they wont axe at shannon is the shannon=stansted service

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well I can almost say for certain that the one route they wont axe at shannon is the shannon=stansted service

i hope not i use it alot for both business and pleasure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

I rely on the Shannon - Birmingham route, they have already cut the frequency from daily to 3 weekly, if they cut it all I'm bollixed.

If things go ahead as planned, this will be next summers schedule, with just one based aircraft (6 based 2 summers ago)

Stansted- 3 daily
    Gatwick-1 Daily
    Malaga -1 Weekly
    Beuvais-3 weekly
    Palma-1 Weekly
    Tenerife-1 Weekly
    Nantes-1 Weekly
    Wroclaw-1 weekly.

That sucks!

what are the chances of another provider picking up these routes

what are the chances of another provider picking up these routes

I've heard from a reliable source there a few airlines talking informally to Shannon, but nothing may come of it

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

If things go ahead as planned, this will be next summers schedule, with just one based aircraft (6 based 2 summers ago)

Stansted- 3 daily
    Gatwick-1 Daily
    Malaga -1 Weekly
    Beuvais-3 weekly
    Palma-1 Weekly
    Tenerife-1 Weekly
    Nantes-1 Weekly
    Wroclaw-1 weekly.

That sucks!

Neon,

Is the above list official or does it come from a reliable source etc.?

If true, i cant believe they would reduce SNN-BVA to 3 x week (last time i checked the figures this daily service had a load factor of ~85% for 2009).

Ditto for SNN-Faro (3-4 per week?) which i believe had a similar load factor for 2009

• Advertisement

Thats all thats in the schedule now anyway, its enough for 1 aircraft

Of course there many routes, Faro included that did excellent, Malaga was 6 per week at one stage etc. but I dont think it was about keeping them, it was about making a fuss over fee's etc

Advertisement